How do you carry spare mags?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by kb18no1, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

In my door pocket, glovebox, pack, tac bag, computer bag. junk drawer, night stand, motorcycle glovebox, and in a single or double mag carrier on my belt. Galco/Bianchi/Blackhawk/Glock. Sometimes no carrier, just one in a pocket.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I don't see this as a safe effective way to carry a spare mag. here's why...

it's a pocket holster that I assume you keep in the pocket on the strong side. in a crisis you reach in and immediately pull the weapon.... now the spare is still in the pocket on the strong side, while your strong hand is otherwise engaged with the weapon... doesn't make much sense to carry a spare on strong side unless you can still get to it with weak hand i.e. on the waistband. I've tried to get my keys out of my pocket with the opposite hand and it looks like having a seizure...

3. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED!
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

For someone wanting a case on the cheap. Walmart was selling the Blackhawk nylon single mag carrier a while back for about 10 bucks. They were actually pretty nice for the price and made in America.

4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I carry my spare G17 magazine in my back left pocket.

5. Ok this may sound strange , but I am a devout DIY freak. I don't know what kind of tape I used by brand , it is a cloth based product with a friction type adhesive . Sort of like Hockey stick tape, but the adhesive is not gooey. I cut the side of a plastic milk carton , played around with cutting them up till I got a decent pattern. Folded it over on the Mag:a Kahr P9C and a Walther P99c . wrapped the tape tight enough to get a tight fit, but loose enough for an easy strip off. Hit it for a few minutes with a warm hair dryer. I have carried one daily for over a year with no wear and better yet , no woolly boogers in the mag . It actually works and costs nothing . Since I just pocket carry it I never worried about making a clip for it , but I imagine it could be done .

6. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

I carry a double leather mag pouch on the weak side OWB

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

16 rounds of reassurance in my back pocket.

8. I want to carry G17 mag for mt G19.

Does anyone carry it horizontal? The cell phone case is a good idea.

Would a horizontal mag holder print less than a vertical one?

9. [​IMG]

#30 Sig Junkie, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

In a spare gun.

Really.

11. I carry a spare on the outside of the Sitka sling bag. I will also carry one for the pocket pistol in the watch pocket in my jeans or in a jacket pocket.

[​IMG]

12. WT

WT
    Millennium Member

Suggested homework assignment:

From a prone position behind a 6 inch high block, simulating using a street curb for cover, do a speed reload while minimizing your exposure.

Use either a self loader or revolver ... your choice.

#34 WT, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. I use a Don Hume leather mag pouch OWB on the weak side, with a G26 on the strong side IWB (appendix location). I used to carry a mag in a pocket but it got way too crudded up with lint and other stuff that way. I also tried a cell phone holder but the one I had, you could rotate the holder all the way around and I found the mag would fall to the ground way too much. I think the money I spent on a real mag pouch was well worth it.

14. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

In a SmartCarry holster, or Fobus single or twin paddle for CCW. In a duty belt mag carrier when on duty, in multiple CR Speed mag holders in competition.

15. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

16. Almost always wear some type of wrangler cargo pants/shorts. No shortage of space in them so it goes in a pocket.

17. I generally do NOT carry an extra mag for my G23.

I do however carry many mags to the range, and include my Fobus double-mag paddle unit.

It is easy to load and unload and carried on the weak-side is an easily concealed method.