How do you buy your practice ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BBSRQ, May 5, 2012.

1. I was just looking at the sponsor link for Lucky Gunner and they had some specials for 1000rds of different calibers. I have a G23 (which I am converting to a 9mm for practice shooting) and a SR22 for my wife. I buy the 555 for her at Walmart and I figured I'd get the 9mm in some bulk package somewhere once the LW barrel arrives.

What do you guys/gals tend to do? Do you buy in bulk? Do you just pick up a box or two of 50 each time you go to the range? Obviously, if you reload this wouldn't apply to you.

If you buy in bulk, where do you get it? I'd think that shipping would eat up the bulk savings price pretty fast?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Most of the time I don't have the cash to buy in bulk. I usually go to Wal Mart for target ammo. For defensive rounds, I go to my LGS.

3. +1 for me, minus the wally world part. I DESPISE that place! I go directly across the street (for me) to Meijer's. Prices are actually a few pennies cheaper for WWB 100 rounders for my G23. I also have family that works there so I got a 10% dicsount card. ends up bein under 30 buck for 110 rounds of .40 cal. not bad if you ask me

4. Not bad at all. I think I know why you despise WM. Unfortunately, I have to shop where my wallet tells me to. I've bought ammo from Meijer as well, great prices on shotgun slugs.

5. walmart & LGS were the only 2 places in town, until a sporting goods store came in about 1.5 years ago. i usually buy in bulk at gun shows with 2 or 3 friends and we split the cost. walmart if i need it for a range trip or if i'm there buying automotive stuff, i grab a box of 100 rounds. sporting goods store when they run their special on ammo or shells. LGS for .25 cal as they have it cheaper than all of the above (if you can believe that). defense ammo at LGS too.

6. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

CCI Blazer at Academy

7. The walmarts around here sell the .40 federal champion value packs for $27.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. Walmart, Federal 9mm for 11.97/box

Local range charges $14/box

9. Before I started reloading, I would look for the best deal online (Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, Georgia Arms...) and buy 1000-2000.

Shipping costs had to be factored in of course. But most of the time it was still cheaper than buying ammo by the box at a local store (not to mention local stores did not have any ammo during the Obama the Gun Salesman of the Year period).

10. I buy mostly online at http://www.sgammo.com/

Sure you have to pay shipping but buying locally you have to pay sales tax. My last buy I bought 2,000 rounds of 9mm with a shipping and handling charge of $26, sales tax here in Phoenix would have been over $36.

11. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED!
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

Components

12. I have a ammo box that I throw some money in from time ti time (every time I can) and I am signed up with Lucky Gunner so they send me their weekly specials. When they have something I shoot, (many different calibers) I order 500 to 1000 rounds. Prices are really good by volume and I have MANY local choices to buy over the counter, but they cant touch my bulk buys. I take half the ammo I order and store half of it (buy 1000 - store 500) and use the rest for range practise. By the time I use that up, they usually have another deal and I have saved enough cash to jump on it. Their customer service is great and their web sight always tells you if it's in stock or not. This is just one of the on line dealers I use so I can always watch for a better price. I have Wal-mart, Meijer, Rural King and a few others plus at least 6 gun shops plus a Pawn shop that sell guns & ammo, in otherwords A LOT of local choices yet none of them beat the on line bulk buys even after shipping plus it comes to my door.

13. Cole125

Silver Member

Buy online in bulk, SGammo.com is best. They are the online place I have found that does not bend you over on the shipping cost.

14. For breaking in new pistols, and for velocity tests for my reloads, I'll buy practice ammo from the LE shop here in Austin--they've got pretty amazing prices, compared to what I've seen around town.

Cabela's will have specials on centerfire stuff, as will the Academy Sports stores. Wal-Mart is just ridiculously expensive, unless you're going with the Tula ammo. Since I reload, I generally try to get ammo loaded in brass cases.

.22LR stuff is just too cheap to try and get a deal on around here, unless you're wanting to run the CCI Mini Mag stuff. Otherwise, it's usually less than $20 for a box of at least 500 rounds.

15. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

^^ This. Great deals from Sgammo

16. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

Bulk is the only way I buy ammo. I check the usual suspects online, or I have some local options within AZ. I added 4K of 9mm and 1K of .223 to the closet this week.

17. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I've done a lot of business with SG Ammo, Ammunition to Go, and Palmetto State Armory. I've been checking around the last few days, and supplies are dwindling QUICKLY. And, the prices on what's left is going up, up, up.

18. I have had a great experience with usaammo.com. Fast shipping, good prices, and reliable reloads.