close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How do I uninstall Windows XP SP2?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sinecure, Oct 13, 2004.

1. sinecure

sinecure A day late...

Jan 25, 2002
    Lost Angels, CA
    I got the CD last week and a "helpful" family member installed it on a laptop. Now the whole thing is bollixed-up and I can't access the wireless internet connection at all.

I run Mozilla and Thunderbird for browser/mail, and ZoneAlarm for a firewall. Apparently SP2 has decided that I am wrong in doing so and has made IE and SP2's new firewall as default. I've reinstated Mozilla and ZA as defaults, but it's still "no connection" when I try to connect to the internet. Things worked just fine before the SP2 "update".

I looked for an "uninstall" program for SP2, but can't find it. I was told that all the old settings were saved somewhere on the hard drive at SP2's installation. Is this true?

Is it as simple as using control panel's "add/remove programs"?

Thanks for any help...

2. JMag

JMag

Feb 7, 2001
    USA:Love it or leave!
    Have you tried repairing network connections and/or resetting any cable/DSL modem and router? Worked for me.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Oct 23, 2001
    HotLanta, GA
    Start/Settings/Control Panel

Add Remove Programs

You should have an entry

Windows XP service Pack 2.

Pray that they did a backup of the old files when they so helpfully installed the Service pack 2 update.

4. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

Apr 13, 2004
    did you turn off the windows firewall?

as i recall the sp2 install now does a backup of previous files automatically.

5. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Jan 2, 2000
    Use Win XP's System Restore function. Just roll your system back to a "restore point" before you installed SP2. That's what I did when SP2 screwed my PC. BTW, I installed SP2 on two other PCs, and it worked great. This PC I am posting from DID NOT like SP2. Don't know why.

6. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I did SP2 on my old lap top and a friends notebook and it worked fine. That was befoer I read about all the problems. Now I'm afraid to do my wife's desktop machine.

7. Ffolkes

Ffolkes

Oct 29, 2002
    Canada
    Earlier versions of xp had the firewall off by default, with sp2 the firewall is now on automaticaly wich can cause connection problems.
    __
    ffolkes

8. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Jun 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Just go to the properties of your internet connection and you can disable the windows firewall. That will likely clear up any problems.

You might need to give your wireless you're wep key and such if it still doesn't connect.

9. 12 gauge? ;a

10. hogrider

hogrider

Apr 28, 2004
    Newport News, VA
    It's real easy...

RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo, Debian, *BSD

Anyone will solve your problem!

^c