How Do I Quick-Check a Used Revolver?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, May 2, 2009.

1. Great info!

Any tips for checking out a double action only firearm, where there is no hammer access?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Would love to know this as well.

3. Incredibly informative thread.

4. Hardballing--Good add, I always check the top strap also.

Good info all, thank you.

#25 colkid, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  5. A late date to be adding to this awesome list of checks, but I do have one more, which I learned from a collector just yesterday.

"Push off" is a check to do (empty revolver, check twice!), with barrel pointed in a safe direction. Cock the hammer all the way back. Push firmly (don't try to bend it!) forward on the hammer. If it falls, there is excessive wear on the trigger, hammer, etc. If it holds fast, then it passed the "push off" test.

6. After safety checking and being aware of muzzle discipline , very safe very aware, don't look at what you are trying to feel. You will get a better tacticle response if are you are not trying to look at what you are trying to feel. But stay aware of what is going on around you. It works for me.

Please be safe
    Joethebear

7. I am being re-schooled in a lot of things, and this is one of them. I have had to re-learn so many things, which I thought I knew.
    Between new guns, changing times, old age and diabetes; I am perplexed a lot. And my memory stinks to boot!

8. quite an informative forum. nice.

9. GunGeezer

GunGeezer A gungeezer

Been using this thread's info for several years now, it's done me good and made me look like I knew what I was doing. :fred: