close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do I hide a full size 1911?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by happy seal, Dec 22, 2012.

1. happy seal

happy seal
    Expand Collapse

I bought a Springfield Armory TRP Operator 5". I was never planning to carry it but the desire to is there. I have the OWB holster that came with it but I would need a long coat or sweater to cover the barrel.

What do you wear for OWB?
    What do you do when it becomes warm inside and you want to shed the coat?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 happy seal, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. VinnieG

VinnieG
    Expand Collapse

I carry owb durin the winter months and just wear one of my huntin coats that cover. When it warms up I carry iwb in the small of my back or a smaller gun. IMO no sweaters, they can make you look homosexual :)

3. Blaster

Blaster
    Expand Collapse
    Hunc tu caveto

Comp-Tac belt holster for OWB. Hugs my side tight enough that a fleece vest makes it imperceptible.

Andrews Custom Leather MacDaniel II for IWB. T-shirts, sweatshirts and even a light form fitting sweater (merino wool) hides the heater completely.

I find that carrying a full size 1911 is easier than any Glock I have carried. (G23, G21 or G30)

#3 Blaster, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  4. seanmac45

seanmac45
    Expand Collapse
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Once I started carrying my 5" 1911's in a Milt Sparks VM II with MS belt I never had the need to carry OWB again. Carry it concealed all day every day and never get made.

5. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

As with any full size gun, if you want to totally and truly conceal it, you will need to carry in the waistband.

I can come very close to fully concealing a full size gun on the waistband but I'm yet to find a holster and wardrobe combination that totally conceals it without printing.

IWB is the way to go for total concealment IMHO.

6. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent
    Expand Collapse

I use a Milt Sparks VM II and it works great.

7. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

I carry a 4" barrel .357 Magnum Revolver IWB with no printing.

Good holster, and never discount the need for a good gunbelt. The best gunbelts will hold the pistol tight to your ribs and eliminate it tipping out and printing, and not streach or roll for an extremely long time. Mine is going on 10+ years.

You will have to experiment with cant and height to get comfort and maximum concealment.

Having found the right combination for me, I can carry almost any gun.

8. happy seal

happy seal
    Expand Collapse

I have always either pocket carried or IWB carried. My G27 sits in a Ctac- Mtac and that is how I will go if I decide to IWB the TRP but I wanted to give OWB a try just for the shear comfort of it.

9. ScottieG59

ScottieG59
    Expand Collapse

Many years ago, I carried a full sized 1911A1 concealed, but I wore suits back then. I could still do it today, but probably only with an IWB holster, shoulder holster or something like Thunderwear.

10. Lowjiber

Lowjiber
    Expand Collapse

I've carried for well over thirty years and went through a lot of firearms & holsters in an attempt to match the gun with how I was dressing on a particular day. Now, with a safe full of guns (including five 1911's), I decided to go with one gun that I could carry all the time. I settled on the G26.

11. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1
    Expand Collapse

What works best for me while still being reasonably comfortable and easy to draw is an IWB Keydex Holster. Blade tech makes good stuff.

12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

13. Spiffums

Spiffums
    Expand Collapse
    I.C.P.

Dang it! Did you all vet him out before exposing all these secret squirrel carry techniques?

Honestly just watch a few Steven Segal movies and you will know all you need to know about hiding a full size 1911.

14. CA Escapee

CA Escapee
    Expand Collapse
    Finally!

+1

This time of the year in CO I wear a t-shirt tucked in with an untucked cover shirt, then a jacket/coat as required. If I go inside and have to remove my jacket I can still keep stuff concealed.

A 5" barreled 1911 OWB would be an issue for me with any cover garmet with a curved "shirt" hem at the bottom, (I like 4:00-4:30 carry) so I'd go with an IWB, it covers all the bases that way.

A canted holster versus a vertical holster will buy you a little room when it comes to keeping the muzzle from poking out from under your concealment, but not much.

It's always a compromise; you have to dress around the gun.

Bill

#14 CA Escapee, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

It's easy with a crossbreed or high ride owb like the galco fletch.

16. happy seal

happy seal
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys, I ordered up another Mtac!

17. Glockgeezer

Glockgeezer
    Expand Collapse

Here in Florida a full sized 1911 is called a safe queen. Hiding one in shorts and a tee-shirt only works if you are 5'-9" and 450#'s or posed for the women of Walmart photo's. Can you say pocket carry?

18. Doubletaps'Rus

Doubletaps'Rus
    Expand Collapse

While a 5" 1911 might pose a problem in Florida, Idaho is different.

I have CCed as a Leo and private citizen since 1984. I think that we give the average joe far too much credit that they will see us "print" and know what they are looking at. Most folks are in Condition White. I could carry a chainsaw and they wouldn't notice. The watchful make up about 5% of the general population.

We have become prone to stereotyping ourselves in our carry efforts. A 511 vest or one of those fanny packs might well come with a label on it that says, "gun". The guys who dress like operators right back from the sandbox are asking to get shot first if the poo hits the fan. For me a huge part of CCW is looking so plain that I don't warrant a second look.

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

20. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

HaHaHaHaHa!!!!