close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How did your shooting volume change when you started reloading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ArtificialGrape, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Title says it all... How did your shooting volume change when you started reloading? How many rounds per month before, and how many after?

-ArtificialGrape

2. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

I shot very little before I started reloading. Now I try to shoot every week.

I don't load a lot. 50 rounds.......every week is good for me.

Been practicing with 44 magnum lately.

3. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    Used to go out and shoot a box or two . Today it is not unusual to fire off 500 in an afternoon . 9mm/.38/ 30-30/ 30-06. Looking for a nice .44 levergun now . I have a bucket of .44 brass laying around and a mould backordered from Midway . Looking at the Henry Big Boy with a serious eye .

4. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
  5. ricklaut

ricklaut

Jan 10, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Oh, let me count the rounds...!

In the early 90's, I was shooting 100 rounds / month or so. Life happened and I was lucky to shoot 300 in a year until about 2009. The bug bit, but ammo was "expensive" so I got into reloading in early 2010. Fast forward... I'll probably load & shoot 10k this year.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    At least triple for me, at one point 2-3K a month. Though slowed down alot since the panic. I can't really put that all to blame. I've been busy watching my boys playing sports, putting aside my hobbies to support thiers.

7. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Right after I got my 550 I shot so much my press payed for itself in 4 months.

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    If there is only so much disposable income to go around, saving half on reloading will result in twice the shooting. Same amount of money, twice the fun.

Or...

When you go to the store to buy a couple of boxes of ammo, you are deeply aware of how much it costs. When you bring an ammo can full of reloads, you don't even think about it. If you have other people shooting out of your ammo can, you still don't think about it. There are more ammo cans in the garage... It's only when you separate and begin to tumble the brass that you even become aware of how many rounds were fired.

Richard

9. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    ^This. You'll end up buying more mags! :supergrin:

10. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    ArtificialGrape "...How did your shooting volume change when you started reloading?"

Like most others at least double. I starting shooting several more competitions and club events per year along with far more time on the practice range.

Not to mention testing ammo... don't get me started! :50cal:

11. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Started handloading 10mm on a Lee hand press. 50 rounds a week is what I shot at the college range. Got a LCT and then went about 200rds per week. Got a 550 and then went to 500 rounds a week. Got a 1050 and it went to 1,000 rounds a week. Still with the 1050 and barely shoot anything these days.

12. DonMerlin

DonMerlin

Feb 5, 2013
    Metro Atlanta
    I'm not up and running with metallic reloading yet. Still looking for components and such. I do reload for trap shooting and I can shoot twice a month if I go on Mondays (discount day at the range). That is twice as often as I went before I started reloading.

13. jdw174

jdw174

Oct 31, 2012
    West Tennessee
    I always said that you can reload for half the money....but you'll shoot twice as much:cool:

14. I am noticing this trend. Your monthly shooting expenses may not go down, but you're shooting more for the same expense.

-ArtificialGrape

15. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Went way up. Spend more money than ever on shooting but shoot a whole lot more. :supergrin:

16. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I certainly shot more because I could afford more ammo. I first started loading for the 357mag & then a 44mag. As a college student, buying factory ammo @ $9-$12 per box of 50 was expensive. Ahh the good old days.
    When I started competition shooting, my volume went waaaay up & only reloading would allow me enough trigger time. Now I still compete, but my monthly volume is down form as high as 3K/m to as little as 600. It's why I reject the you'll shoot tiwce as much & not save any money comment. You save money on every round, what you choose to do with the money is up to you, but you are saving money every round vs buying factory.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Exactly.

18. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    fredj338 "...As a college student, buying factory ammo @ $9-$12 per box of 50 was expensive. Ahh the good old days..."

Boy did this bring a smile to my face - remembering what ammo "used to" cost. College for me was back in 72-76 and some ammo was so cheap back then we could clean the coins under the seat of the car and in the sofa, head down to our local gun and tackle shop. pick a box or two and destroy some of those beer cans we worked on several nights before.

Yes... Ahh the good old days!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  19. I agree that you are saving money with every round, it's just that you may not be creating a budget surplus if that savings is just pumped into more rounds.

-ArtificialGrape