close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how did the 10 round mag limit come about?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Andy W, Jan 28, 2013.

1. brisk21

brisk21
    Expand Collapse

The only reason that company has survived is because he didn't.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RUT

RUT
    Expand Collapse

>>The only reason that company has survived is because he didn't.<<

Sad to say, but that's pretty much it!

3. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

"That's not entirely accurate..."

Ruger had no sales issues when Bill passed, or when the family divested themselves of the company. There are lots of reasons they grew into the largest gun maker in the US before Bill died... even without pocket pistols or ARs.

4. Fear Night

Fear Night
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Are you familiar with the Boiled Frog analogy? If you want to boil a frog, you don't drop him right into boiling water, because he will jump right out of the pot. Instead, you put him into cold water and very slowly increase the heat until he is boiled.

We are the frogs. The anti's are slowly chipping away at our 2A rights, turning up the heat gradually. They know if they restricted us to single shots right off the bat, we would jump out of the pot just like the frog. Instead, they thought of the 10 round limit as a "reasonable" enough heat increase that we wouldn't resist. They were right. Many stayed right in the pot (1994 AWB, and various other states with an AWB).

During New York's new law, they tried to get their 10 round limit decreased to a 5 round limit. Instead, they ended up "compromising" on a 7 round limit. Next time around, will they shoot for 3 and end up settling on 5? After that, shoot for single shot but settle on a 3 shot? And so on ...

How much longer until we are a boiled frog?

#24 Fear Night, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. brisk21

brisk21
    Expand Collapse

Can you imagine him spewing that mag capacity and no pocket guns crap in todays gun climate? I think alot of people would say screw it to Ruger.

6. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

People who remember those days haven't forgotten that Bill Ruger was a spineless coward who was in it for financial survival only. He could give two ****s about the shooting community or the Constitution.

Spinning in his grave? I certainly hope so.

7. PLINKING.40

PLINKING.40
    Expand Collapse

I thought it started with the Great LAPD shoot out with the (2) bank robbers with AK's and full body armor that almost Mowed down all of the Cops and Dect. and were out gunned...Could be wrong tho:dunno:

8. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Nope, Stockton, Calif. school yard shooting was the advertised impetus.

9. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

He'd changed his mind on magazines, realizing that nothing would placate those opposed to responsible gun ownership, and as far as pocket guns go, his pistols were never a corner-stone of the financial underpinnings. His hunting rifles, shotguns, and revolvers were the main-stays, and as much as we like to think otherwise, I'll bet there are lots of folks in the woods on opening day of deer season who don't own or want a pocket pistol or high-cap mag.

If it weren't so, we wouldn't have the political BS to contend with as the voices of opposition would be much, much louder.

10. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

I remember it a bit differently, and Bill wasn't alone in the mag-limit BS, but he is the one lots of folks like to focus on.

11. Glock Holliday

Glock Holliday
    Expand Collapse

This was the first time I ever heard of a ten round (reduced capacity) magazine but I thought it was then-Mayor David Dinkins that specified it... but then he got un-elected so it never happened.

12. plainsman

plainsman
    Expand Collapse

The anti gun agenda is to hinder, hamper, delay, and destroy the rights of firearms owners and the firearms themselves. Alll these regulations are crap, but if they can regulate the firearms industry out of business, so be it!

What company will tool up making 7 rounds for NY, other wacko states, and for how long? What will the next ban entail, single shots? Once they put a company out of business, or forcing them to modify their products for one state, who the hell can stay in business that way?

Someone said it correct, they pulled a number out of their .a....s Unfortunately they are out there breeding, and voting democrap.

13. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Actually, the Mk I put Ruger on the map in 1949-50.

14. Cmacc

Cmacc
    Expand Collapse

15. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

I don't believe there is any significance to the 10 round limit in the past. I believe it is simply (as others say) a stepping stone to NONE. "No guns" was too big a bite for liberals to swallow before, and becoming more palatable to them now.

It was acceptable to the Government as a "first step" to the real interest to reduce it to zero incrementally. These baby steps have become Governments defined "common sense", as a means of circumventing the Constitution, and many have bought into it.

Soon the mag limit will be zero, if we let it.

16. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

You're right, with the discussion being about pocket pistols, I was only thinking about his center-fire pistols. :embarassed:

17. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun
    Expand Collapse

Mr. Bill "10 Rounds" Ruger

I remember 1993-94.
    And don't let anyone tell you it was 15 rounds.
    He said 10 was enough.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone find evidence to settle the question of whether it was 10 or 15?

Anyway, always remember NY state:
    -- AR is ok, just no bayonet lug.
    -- No more 11+ mags, but you can keep the ones you got.
    -- 10 rounds is the new limit.

. . . a dozen years later

-- No more AR at all, but you can keep the ones you got if you register them.
    -- You have to get rid of all your 11+ mags, even the ones we previously said you could keep.
    -- No more 8+ mags, but you can keep the ones you got, but you can't sell them in state.
    -- 7 rounds is the new limit.

What is next, NY? What is next, America?

#38 ithaca_deerslayer, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013