close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

how can I keep the mag extension on my 870 from loosening???

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by BCSO, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010
    It is really annoying!!!! every few shots, I have to tighten up the mag tube, dosent matter how tight I make it initially.

-should I get a non extension cap??? will that loosen???

-does the mossberg 500 do this??? if no...then ill get on.

this is seriously lame!!!!!

Love the gun, just cant stand having to constantly keep aneye on this, as the mag loosens, the barrel loosens and the gun gets will rattle until I stop to try to fix it.

this is a real problem in the shotty comps.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

thanks!

2. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010
    will one of those work better than the one it came with?

3. f150man

f150man

Jun 29, 2010
    +1 on the loctite. I use it for a lot of things. Very handy.

4. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010
    loctight it is then. Ill grab some on the way home. thanks guys!

5. NYcarry

NYcarry Banana!Banana!

Sep 12, 2008
  6. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    One blip with a mig welder does the trick.

7. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010

I just mig welded it on....but I just realized...how am i going to replace the spring now???:shocked:

8. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    You should have just done a tack blip. That way you could have ground it off.

I hope you didn't burn around the entire perimeter.

9. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Good grief, You can't take the barrel off if you welded the mag tube extension on. How the heck are you going to clean your weapon? The tube extension on the Remington, if that is what the OP has is a two priece tube. The mag tube coupling has to go on first. If you braised that to the mag tube, well, I don't think anyone would do that, but then again?????????????

If the mag tube coupling is comming loose I am guessing you installed it with a barrel that does not have a detent ball, or the detent ball is stuck down in the channel. If you do not have a detent ball in your barrel ring there is nothing to hold the mag tube tube coupling and it will keep comming loose. You can use a small drop of blue loc-tite as a temp fix, or go to www.brownells.com and in the search block enter "Wave Washer. You will get three for around 6 dollars. Install the barrel, slip the wave washer over the mag tube and then screw on the mag tube coupling. No finish the install.

10. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010
  11. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Did you check your barrel for the detent ball. If you installed the tube extesnison on a barrel that is not made for it then you have your problem? Let us know if this is the case.

The issue you are bringing up is not an issue with the 870 when installed properly. It is a problem when people do things they don't how to do.

12. greyeyezz

greyeyezz

Nov 8, 2008
    Cleveland OH
    I always crank mine down with a rag and channel locks and remove the same. They don't loosen anymore. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not, but I can't see any harm if I use moderate tightening.

13. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010

well I bought the gun brand new off the shelf, I didnt install anything and its been doing it since I got it.

14. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    OK then. Never fire a weapon that you buy new or used without breaking it down and cleaning it first. Not safe, not smart and just not a good thing to do. You can resolve this simply by going to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Install and cleaning. Break the weapon down, you have been shooting it at, according to you at shotgun competitions and stuff so I think it needs it. After a good cleaning put it back together and follow my install instuctions when installing the tube extension kit. Your issue is over. Call if there is any problem with installing the tube or with any questions about cleaning and reassebly. I would be glad to talk you through it.

I might add that there is a 4+1 shot verison of you weapon and since it does not come with a tube extension the barrel for that model does not have the detent ball in the barrel ring. I have received a couple of the 6+1 models over the years that had the 4+1 model barrel on it. So check to make sure your barrel has a detent ball in the barrel ring as that is what hold your tube extension or mag cap in place.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  15. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010
    Thank you very much aippi!!!!

I have taken the gun apart and cleaned/lubed it, but ill check your site, I must be doing something wrong.

16. BCSO

BCSO

Sep 30, 2010
    OK BREAKTHROUGH HERE!!!!!.....

ok, here is an issue.....the issue I would imagine. When I install the barrel, and screw down the bagazin tube/ coupling, the threads reach the end.

at this point, I can see light between the coupler and the ring on the barrel that holds it on the magazine.

the detent ball is not in contact with the bottom of the threaded coupler thing, however, I never noticed the loosness in the barrel before...

ok, what am I dont wrong at this point?

its like the meat of the threads are bottoming out before the extension can come in contact with the detent ball

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010