How are .22 rimfire cartridges made?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gwalchmai, May 15, 2012.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Someone asked me if it would be economical to reload .22LR and I explained that they were not reloadable due to their construction. Does anyone have a link describing the manufacturing process for rimfire ammo? I think it would be useful to explain why we don't reload .22s.

Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    G43 rimfire conversion? General Glocking Jul 24, 2015
    WTS-Colt Tactical 22 Rimfire M4 Carbine Firearms Listings Jul 10, 2015
    Nikon Prostaff Rimfire BDC 150 Gun Parts & Accessories Jun 9, 2015
    Rimfire report General Firearms Forum Feb 13, 2015
    WTS Kimber Rimfire Target Conversion Kit with Adjustable Sights 1911 Go Gun Parts & Accessories Feb 8, 2015

3. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

They're made poorly, judging from my last two practice sessions. Half dozen FTF in every box.

4. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Check youtube: How It's Made or one of the shooting shows on Outboor Channels did a segment on 22 manufacturing, it was pretty cool.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

5. My ccw instructor mentioned something about them being spun to get the primer/ powder into the rim (???).

That's the best I can remember, as I was new to the terminology and a lot of what he was talking about sounded like it was in a foreign language.

[note] please don't take this as presumed fact - I am only repeating what I *think* I remember.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#4 jvbronco, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. +1. when in doubt, google and youtube are your freinds

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Thanks. Here's a good one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvK9QlQtrKI&feature=related"].22Long Rifle Ammunition Manufacture (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]

8. ah ha - @ ~5:20, they mention this spinning process. Glad I wasn't just blowing hot air. Very cool video, thanks for posting it.

I'm actually 30 miles north of the CCI factory in Lewiston, ID... interesting.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

You should take the tour. I was surprised that the primer ladies didn't wear respirators, etc. It looked just like the pics in the Speer #13 book.

10. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I'm sure it can be reloaded for dollars on the penny! lol

11. Very cool stuff... I think I will try to arrange a tour, if possible.

Just finished watching the second video (part 2 of 2) and the shooting range they use at 1:52 in the video is the range I go to. I purchased my G17 from that range :D. Though, I haven't been there in over 2 months since the weather has been nice and I have been able to go up in the mountains to shoot.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Using old stock I can reload .38 Special for a penny or two more than what .22 LR costs now. I could probably beat it if I cast my own boolits.

13. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Great posts. Thanks.

14. Steve Boelter has an excellent chapter in his book, "The Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" as well as the history of the rimifire rounds and tons of technical data. As to the priming, it is far more difficult and critical to accuracy than so in centerfire calibers and in some instances, is a closely-held manufacturing secret. Some manufacturers go so far as to license their priming to others for example, Aquila chooses to license priming from Eley's proprietary process rather than to use their own resources. The "bulk" manufacturers within the USA run rimfire ammo in huge lot sizes and the quality control is far less focused on producing accuracy than that of the european high-end, match-grade, companies. For example, Eley exercises extreme control conditions over every facet of the process in a "clean-room" environment. They draw their own brass cases in-house, manufacture their own bullets from lead wire, use powder from a single (and undisclosed) provider and run very small lot sized on a single machine of the 5 in use testing for consistency and accuracy from each batch. Steve's book is a few years old now but well worth the price for anyone interested in rimfire or rimfire accuracy. FWIW, he's presently working on his 2nd book which I understand, will include some pistol data.

15. Thanks for posting the video! It was very informative and interesting. I had no idea how they were made.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

You could just swage your own .223 bullets using the spent .22 brass as your jacket. That's how RCBS got into business - Rock Chuck Bullet Swage.