close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

How about a College Students Club?

Discussion in 'Clubhouse Office' started by Gatman, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Gatman

Gatman

Mar 18, 2004
    Chicago Suburbs
    How about a club for Glock-Talkers currently enrolled in school? It would seem that a lot of us would like to talk to other students about how they deal with college and college issues. It would seem that the majority of college students I (meaning me only) have met are very anti-gun. And the few of us who are pro-gun need a place to discuss guns and college education. Like how they deal with CCW when it is not allowed in their school. Anyways this is an idea for anyone who is interested.

I am 23 attending Southern Illinois University (SIU) and am an Administration of Justice major. Anyone else want to help or join would be welcome.

2. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Jun 28, 2004
    USA
    That's a good idea. I've met many anti gunners on my campus, too. Count me in.

3. Gatman

Gatman

Mar 18, 2004
    Chicago Suburbs
    What school you guys attending? I attend what seems to be one of the most pro-gun and anti-gun schools you can think of. Southern Illinois University has a lot of hunters and trap shooters but also has a large amount of liberals. I would like to raise awareness about how guns are just tools. And we need more support. Our school is running rampant with crime and I am pissed because they cut the hours of the Saluki-Patrol ( A kind of police cadet program for students to work for if they want some basic law enforcement experience.) Seems somewhat backward doesnt it? And I brought up the idea of a Guardian Angels style program and I was thought to be an insane vigilante nut. But anyways I am thinking of transfering to Arizona State University in Tempe and attending there. But anyways we need 50 people who are interested. I am gonna pust a link in my signature calling college students. If you could do the same and introduce Glock-Talk to other pro-gun students you know that would be great.

Please post what school your attending and what your major as well as year you are if you wouldnt mind. I am a Freshman at SIU, who is majoring in Adminstration of Justice.

4. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

May 31, 2004
    Louisiana
    Too many anti- gun, anti everything I believe in people at my school. I'd like a college student club.

5. Rich22

Rich22

Dec 10, 2001
    Orlando, Fl
    University of Central Florida, Senior, Forensic Science- analysis track

6. G_34

G_34 STUMPY

Sep 19, 2004
    Behind the Wall
    Count me in, Feels like im the only student in my college that does any shooting sports....feel like a fish outta water...good to hear there are other college shooters

G_34

7. Gatman

Gatman

Mar 18, 2004
    Chicago Suburbs
    I know what you mean. The majority of these students on my campus feel that if you enjoy any shooting sports that your A) a redneck, or B) a pyscho. Thats not fair. I do not critize them for drinking like fish and partying it up like there is no tomorrow. I try to encourage them to come and shoot a few downrange but they are afraid. Anyways please find any shooters you know and invite them here.

8. interlazio

interlazio

Oct 13, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really like the idea of this College Students Club. I go to USC here in Southern California.

I'm lookin forward to this.

9. Count me in as well. I go to North Georgia College & State University in Dahlonega, GA. At my school, half of the school is a military college where dealing with firearms is a way of life. Hope we can get the forum!

10. MGomez81

MGomez81 .

Jun 25, 2003
    Gentlemen, and possibly ladies, I have already contacted Sidearmor (our Super Mod) about this very topic some weeks ago. I sent her a very descriptive proposal for it, describing how I wanted to modify the forum description for the Young Glockers to meet the needs of our college student population here on GT.. I also asked to be considered for moderator of the Young Glockers forum once the changes were made.

And I was subsequently turned down for each.

I am a junior at the University of Florida and very much a regular here on GT. I have organized Shooting get-togethers for the South Florida GlockTalkers and have been instrumental in other forums such as the Ox and Alex Forum here on GT, helping that get pushed and coming up with Holiday gift exchanges between the members.

I was not happy about the fact that anyone can start a thread about some firearm and manage to tally up 50 votes to have their own forum created, but I simply wanted a slight modification to a forum to include us (Young Glockers I think is very appropriate since many of us have Young Republicans, Young Democrats, Young etc etc on our campuses), and I was turned down for my own small request.

I see we have some momentum here and I will be pointing Sidearmor to this thread. Thanks for speaking out gang, I hope we are acknowledged as the future of the pro-gun population and are acknowledged here on GT as well.

+1

11. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart Millennium Member CLM

Apr 5, 1999
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Mike asked me to change an existing club and yes, I turned that down. I didn't think it fair to the people who asked for and got their 50 votes, then wanted someone want to change what they voted for.

I've always been very clear that anyone that got their 50 votes would have a club created. This is no exception and I'd be happy to do so once that is reached.

12. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator Moderator

Aug 8, 2002
    South FL

Sometimes, tooting your own horn can come across in a way you didn't intend it, Mike. I'm sure you don't mean to sound arrogant. I know you from face to face time, and I know you're actually a very humble person. But man, this post sure sounds self-congratulatory.

Take it easy,
    Scott ;c

13. MGomez81

MGomez81 .

Jun 25, 2003
    And you also know I have no problem thanking others in getting those things done, especially you Scott.

I felt I could be useful for this specific forum idea, but I'll stop trying to take a leadership role here.

14. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator Moderator

Aug 8, 2002
    South FL
    You can count me as one of your fifty votes for your new forum.

15. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart Millennium Member CLM

Apr 5, 1999
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Mike, if you think the idea is worthy, and I agree, then keep at it until you get your 50. I don't see why this has to be an all or nothing proposal. Posting here about how I politely said no to something you asked for won't change the existing club, but again, I'm really happy to create the new one when the time comes.

Also, just because we aren't adding any new mods right now does not mean that you can't help with the club. There are many members here that aren't mods, but are a great help to me and Eric in keeping things running smoothly.

16. Gatman

Gatman

Mar 18, 2004
    Chicago Suburbs
    Cool. Just wanted to wish every one a happy holiday season. Anyways I am trying to figure out where I wish to attend school next year. My hope is that soon I'll be done with it all. Anyways once again happy holidays.

17. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    Count me in.

I'm at Benedictine, Poli-Sci major w/pre-legal concentration.