close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hottest ammunition in the market?!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 240sxs13sleeper, Jul 12, 2010.

1. 240sxs13sleeper

240sxs13sleeper

Feb 20, 2010
    orlando fl
    the *!*DPX Corbon*!*

I switched hollow point from MAGTECH .45acp +p 165gr to DPX Corbon .45acp +p 185gr. Is this a good choice? Is anyone carrying or switched to Corbon? If so how do you like it.

I put them side by side and the DPX is noticeably taller. Not by much though, but what was a big difference was the price$$$ ...pictures of the 2 ammunition below....

-thao:cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BWT

BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    USA
    I shoot the Corbon. I believe it has a flash suppressant type power. We shot a few rounds (at the current price, all I could afford) at night and could notice the difference in the flash compared to other ammo. It is a full power round!

3. MarccraM

MarccraM

Aug 29, 2009
    South Florida
    I have the 185+ dpx 45acp as you mention. I think its great ammo. Very expensive though..

I'm not a magtech fan personally.

I think dpx is better.. Jmo

4. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    I agree, but that magtech ammo is not the worst you can do, IMO.

5. 240sxs13sleeper

240sxs13sleeper

Feb 20, 2010
    orlando fl
    Hey thanks for the inputs guys. I have not yet got the chance to shoot them because i dont want to spend $42 again. lol. I just want to test to feel the difference and to compare the two.

-thao

6. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I think you made a very good choice. CB has a real winner with the DPX line.

7. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Mar 5, 2008
    Hmmm, another latest and greatest. Anyone else notice that "latest and greatest" ammo is spring up faster and faster? Can't wait till they make ammo that has an onboard targeting system so you don't "actually" have to worry about hitting the target in a "vital" area. If you do actually aim the darned thing, and hit the target appropriately, the minor differences between a good old traditional JHP, and a "super" JHP won't make one darned bit of difference. But then, if most folks thought it through, then the advertising folks wouldn't have been doing their job correctly.:wavey:

8. Chuck54

Chuck54

Nov 8, 2007
  9. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I know a Federal-Speer dealer that carries the HST 230 +P as a field load in the winter when out on his snow machine in the back country. He has 100% confidence in the HST. He has plenty of other loads in his shop to choose from.

10. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Good points. I have three different carry ammos in the three different pistols I own, all made by three different ammunition companies.

There are so many factors that go into finding the optimum self-defense JHP round that focusing on the "hottest" or, as you write, the "latest and greatest" whatever often defeats the search.

For example, there are more than a few Glock Talk members who conduct informative backyard tests; and many examples abound where bullets driven at velocities above their capacity to handle those velocities ends in sub-par performance. And velocity is just one factor that goes into finding the optimum round for a particular pistol.

11. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I think the DPX ammo should be very good, but I have not heard of any reports from actual shootings so I have held off. I know that Clint Smith loves it and even took a deer with the 185gr Corbon load. I have some of the ammo and it will even open up after going through leather which is pretty good. Unlike the previous comment, I think new bullet development is great and we have seen a lot of advances in the past 10 years. If anyone knows of actual shooting results of this round, I would love to hear about it.

12. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Shiek Yerbouti

Jul 15, 2010
    Uncle Bernies Farm
    I never shoot +P ammo in my 1911 or my Sig P220. I just shoot a quality standard pressure hollowpoint ammo. If I do my job, the bullet will do it's job.

13. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    There may be good reasons to shoot standard pressure for things like quick follow up shots. I do not think 3,000 PSI make that big of difference on gun wear, especially if you only use the +p for carry purposes. I think 45 acp expansion is questionable below a 5" barrel, and that is why I shoot +P out of my 4" barrels.

14. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Was that $42 per 20? God you guy's kill me!:rofl: That super ammo sure is so great!!:whistling:

15. 240sxs13sleeper

240sxs13sleeper

Feb 20, 2010
    orlando fl
    I know right. lol. Their has been a couple of videos on youtube comparing the corbon with other hollowpoints. The actual company made videos of ballistic gel shooting. Pretty neat stuff.

16. W4CNG

W4CNG

Sep 19, 2002
    In the Gun Room
    I switched over to Cor-Bon DPX across the board more than 2 years ago before the price started up and supplies dried up. I have a good supply of them and have run enough thru all of my guns to insure reloability. The bullet is longer because pure copper has more volume than the jacketed lead types of the same weight. So it has a nice taper on the front and sits a bit lower in the case.

17. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Jul 25, 2008
    +1. I have also tested them in all my .45s and they are very accurate and expand reliably. The recoil suggests that these rounds pack a nasty punch.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Good plan. Then if the gun jams on the second shot you can just throw it at the guys while they drive off in your car.