close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hot Hatches! (And other sporty economical cars)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Red Stick, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    By the numbers, yes. I drove one, was actually considering buying it, but even at stock power levels the torque steer is pretty horrific. I guess you could get used to it, but why, when there are so many other options out there.

2. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I know it is down on power, but the Civic SI has a fun, high revving NA I-4.

3. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    I'm 6'0' 220 lbs and dont recline my seat, small cars are not for me. there cramped and head touches the ceiling.

4. SkyyUniverse

SkyyUniverse

Sep 14, 2011
    NC
    another vote for the Yaris. some of the models mentioned are great cars in many ways but not within the OP's limitations I think.

I'm 6'1 220 and plenty of headroom and room in general in my little Yaris. Average 36.5 mpg with mixed driving, 40-43 on extended highway trips.

Handles like a go-cart, road hugging 106 hp go-cart!

And it was the cheapest car on the Toyota lot.

5. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I'm 6'3, 240, never had a problem in a compact car. Of course, no-one can sit behind me when I drive one.

6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Yeah i kind of have to sit straight up and dont like my seat too far back. I had a focus and cobalt as rentals when i was deployed to DWH and both were horrible for me.

7. Sharkey

Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Well it ain't a rocket but I just bought an Elantra Coupe SE.
    Looks good, leather, heated seats, IPhone hook up and 30MPG.

I traded it for a 2010 Genesis Coupe I had for 3 months. Great car that was fast and fun but the best I could ever do was 23.5MPG.

If I had the dough, I'd go VW Golf TDi. I looked at the Volvo C30 but the mileage was about the same as the Genesis I was trying to get rid of.

BTW, this is our 4th Hyundai product and we've been real happy with them.

8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I like the new Ford Focus. Its got a mean look for a tiny car.

I used to have a 91 CRX with a JDM B16 VTEC swap. It was a little beast.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I sure hope he got paid alot of money for that.

10. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    My STi is a retired BSP car. Compared to a BSP Vette, the Subie is easy to drive to 85 or 90%, but gets difficult and complex after that.

The CRX has a B16 and a good solid suspension build. It's the easiest car to drive fast I've ever been in. Easier than a Mini, and way easier than a Miata. So in terms of O/P’s question, EF and EG Hondas can be a lot of fun to drive, both on the street, track and autoX. They are very inexpensive to build, and can retain a high level of reliability with lots of mod’s.

Compared to something along the lines of an R32, the EF’s are way more raw and nimble. The lower mass is a huge advantage.

How about a 914 with an EJ257 swap? There’s a ghetto blaster for you. But not a hatch.

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Do you look at a track as a series of corners connected by dragstips or as a series of dragstrips connected by corners?

12. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    That would entirely depend on the track. :supergrin: Rally drivers, oddly enough, tend to think of it as a series of drag strips connected by corners. I would think, though I haven't personally known any F1 drivers, that they think of it the opposite.

13. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I really like my 07 Mazda3 Sedan, 2.3l 5mt. It fears no Si. I traded a 06 Civic EX, 5mt, navi for it.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

If you have a momentum car you treat it much differently than a power car.

In general (speaking for amateur racers here as comparing a rally driver to an F1 to a NASCAR is like comparing a NFL football player to an NBA player to an NHL player and asking which is the better athlete....they are very specialized and the best in the world at their specialty) power cars hide poor driving skills and a driver who can drive a momentum car fast will drive the power car much better than a power driver can drive a momentum car.

These little hot hatches many times must be driven like momentum cars.

15. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Mar 14, 2006
    Breaking the law in CT
    Does the Scion tC qualify? small, sporty, but no hatch

or how about the eagle talon (do they still make that?) I've seen video of 8 second 1/4 cars and I've autox'ed with a guy who's car was very quick on the track

oh, and GO RED SOX

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  16. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

May 29, 2013
    Texas
    we're talking cars here, not drivers.

I'm sure if I put a professional driver in my corvette, it'd do much better than these silly grocery getters that have bumble bee engines in them.

17. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Kein Mitleid

May 29, 2013
    Texas

Oh, that 850 WHP sti is stock? :upeyes:

Apples to oranges.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I would bet that you would have a hard time running the n-ring faster in your vette than many people have running one of these...

[​IMG]

19. patriot550

patriot550

Sep 21, 2013
    Hey, YOU were the one saying you couldn't understand why anyone would modify these types of cars, remember? So, when someone points out a modified car, now you want to deny that? :upeyes:

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

So, what kind of harnesses did you put in the vette?