close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hornady Zombie Max

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Aceman, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Let's just say it was a good day at the range. Get some.

I've always said that good ammo is one of the best things you can do for your AK. This stuff rocked!

I was doing some Laser/Green Dot sighting in today, and once I was done....oh man.

This stuff just shot fantastic. Mr. Paper Man was NOT a happy camper at 10, 25, 50 or 100 yards.*

Best three shot group at 50 were ALL touching! Some of that was luck, no doubt. Still, most groups were right around 1-2" at most.

(Sorry - no pics, deal with it)

* Results achieved using an Arsenal SLR 107fr, with a Primary Arms Mini Green Dot sight.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    How much does it run? I have never even priced it.

3. Peter_72

Peter_72

Apr 4, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thats whats in the clip I keep next to my bed!

[​IMG]

4. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    No pics? Sorry, but so far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen. ;)

That Zombie Max ammo does look kind of cool, but I've got a few k of quality Russian rnds left, so I haven't bothered to buy any (much more expensive) Hornady.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  5. I'm not big on stupid lawyer liability crap but if it were me, I'd use critical defense which is the same damn product that doesn't come in a box that says "only for use on zombies" :upeyes:

6. Hornady has it listed @ $21.24 for 20 in 7.62. :wow:

PASS.

7. Peter_72

Peter_72

Apr 4, 2012
    Louisiana

My box doesn't say "only for use on zombies" it says "certified zombie ammunition", this is on the box for 9mm

8. glockin-45

glockin-45

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    COOL! And everyone should know that the SLR FR Rocks.

9. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    I bought a couple boxes of the Zombie Max X39 for grins. It's steel cased with nothing more than a green tipped SST projectile. Wasn't as accurate as Winchester, Federal or Lapua ammo. I stored a few boxes of 9MM ZM along with my stash of collectable ammo (Black Talons, steel core 7.62X39, John Wayne fodder).

Whenever I build a Zombie Killer AR (Spike's Tactical Zombie lower), I'll order a few boxes of 5.56 ZM to go along with it for the buyer. Expensive gimmick ammo...

10. my762buzz

my762buzz

Mar 21, 2007
    A few years ago I posted about double tap ammo which has the same Vmax bullet.
    I managed to get 5 shot groups bordering 1 moa with a scope and sandbag rest both with a Vepr and a Saiga.
    Later I shot out to 200 yards scoped and the moa shrunk a bit more. This is probably because the 9.45 twist rate is too fast and the bullets settle down near 200 yards as the spin becomes optimal. The Vmax bullets are also awesome for terminal ballistics. They will open up much farther away than any softpoint will. I don't think you can find a more effective bullet for self defense in this caliber.

11. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Dec 19, 2009
  12. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
  13. Peter_72

Peter_72

Apr 4, 2012
    Louisiana
    OK magazine, I new to the terminology...Lesson learned!

14. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    "new to the terminology", eh? :eyebrow: How old are ya?

15. gators096

gators096

Jul 20, 2010
    south carolina
    it is the same as critica defensel and some online retialers like cabellas actually have it priced cheaper than the critical defense. Guess the "zombie" craze is coming to an end.

16. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I know that...but it was ACTUALLY a couple of bucks cheaper, which inspired me to get it. That and the cool Zombie Box.

Hey - it was (relatively) cheap, and fun, and I always like to remind myself just how good the 107 is with top notch ammo.

The rest of the shoot was Wolf Mil Classic, and one box of Golden Tiger.

17. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Anything in a russian "few K" cannot touch the Hornady stuff.

I agree for practical shooting purposes...may not be a difference. But for absolute accuracy testing, no way the Russian stuff is as good.

18. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    I use irons anyway and the little bit of gain I would get isn't worth a $1 per trigger pull to me. I have no doubt it is superior in every way but cost.

19. I was waiting for it to become heavily discounted but a lot of people must be buying it. I would use it for range ammo if it was cheaper than what I currently use now. I don't think I would use it for HD or carry ammo though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. Peter_72

Peter_72

Apr 4, 2012
    Louisiana
    unlike yours my age is not hidden but what does age have to do with it?