close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady Zombie Max Ammo... REALLY?!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by SGT278ACR, Aug 23, 2012.

1. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

In your first post you stated, "I don't understand this argument." and then you stated, "That doesn't mean I agree with all the conclusions drawn."

There's a big difference between "not understanding" and "not agreeing".

If you don't understand, please feel free to read the thread. It's been discussed.

If you don't agree with me, well, that's fine, too. I never said that you had to. :dunno:

You can also refer to post #35 and get the perspective of an expert (M. Ayoob) on the matter.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #41 M 7, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. bobtheelf

bobtheelf
    Expand Collapse

Ah, well, I guess I had just hoped that the rest of my post would have led to a different reading of "understand" than the literal "I am ignorant of the issue".

Like I said, I'd like to see if there have been any actually cases where this has been an issue or if it's just a theoretical discussion.

3. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

No problem. :winkie:

Since I don't carry the stuff, I've never had the desire to go looking for a case involving the issue, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind seeing an example either.

Maybe someone has one- you could also go hit Mas' subforum and ask him. :dunno:

4. TattooedGlock

TattooedGlock
    Expand Collapse
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

They're legit SD rounds. If you make a legal justified SD shooting, the bullet you use matters not. Just like if you have a skull tattoo. If however you make an unjustified shot, all things will come out in the insuing dog and pony show.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Tell that to Harold Fish. An unscrupulous prosecutor can and will use anything against you that they can - Punisher logo grips, "aggressive" looking tattoos, an "overly powerful" caliber, etc. Anything they can do to make you look like an unjustified nutjob will get pulled out in court if the DA wants to make an example of you, build a name from putting a "homicidal maniac looking for an excuse to kill someone," or myriad other reasons to put you behind bars.

6. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

The irony is that for zombies you don't want a hollow point - you want fmj for skull piercing. So if a company really wanted to make zombie novelty ammo, they should make some kind of +P FMJ with a pronounced pointy nose.

7. .50 cal

.50 cal
    Expand Collapse

My 12 gauge zMax should take their heads off, not worried about penetration, it would actually take a Zombie apocalypse for me to empty the ammo cabinet and resort to using this ammo

8. avenues165

avenues165
    Expand Collapse

I disagree with your choice of a FMJ. I think the JHP would cause more head damage and therefore would be more effective against a zombie. However, for zombie protection, you really need to be using a shotgun, blows heads apart!!

Now if Zombies have a tougher skull than a human then a FMJ might make sense. Does anyone know if a zombie has a thicker skull than us humans?

9. jbglock

jbglock
    Expand Collapse

Just because it should be legally justified doesn't mean that is what the police, DA, or family will see it that way.

10. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Why is 'Zombie Max' ammo any more ridiculous than 'Black Talon', 'Varmint Grenade', or 'Ted Nugent' ammo? Or are those marketing labels somehow less deserving of disdain because they don't cash in on the Zombie craze?

11. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

You haven't been keeping up with 'Walking Dead.' We've learned that it's easy to slip a knife through the skull and into the head of a zombie. I think that's pretty tough to do to a real person.

12. jbglock

jbglock
    Expand Collapse

Do any of those carry a label stating they are not for use on humans? I'd be shocked if a good lawyer didn't make an issue of the ammo used.

13. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

Same here. Even with a perfectly justifiable shooting, I'd be kind of nervous having a jury see that. They get all sorts of weird ideas and having my freedom in the balance makes me wanna stay clear of the "novelty" stuff.

#53 M 7, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  14. Guatariccan

Guatariccan
    Expand Collapse

I'm a big zombie fan, but the only zombie max I bought was the 7.62x39. It is the only round I can find similar to the SST right now. Works really well on hogs.

15. JW1178

JW1178
    Expand Collapse

Clearly you know little about the case. There were other factors in that case. That happened in a state before that state had a stand your ground or castle doctrine law.

16. avenues165

avenues165
    Expand Collapse

You're right, I haven't. I need to remember that effective zombie training does need to include study of the enemy.

However, the FMJs out there don't have the green inserts. Doesn't that make them have more zombie stoppin' power (ZSP)? I have heard that green paint can add to ZSP. You have to remember that we aren't looking for zombie killin' bullets (ZKB), we are looking for zombie stoppin' bullets (ZSB). Comparing ZKB and ZSB is like comparing apples to oranges.

17. Delcorbett

Delcorbett
    Expand Collapse

19 rounds ready to rock!!!

Sent from my Flux Capacitor!

18. bballer182

bballer182
    Expand Collapse

I laugh all the way to my reloading bench. I can buy z-max projectiles cheaper than I can buy v-max projectiles. While the V and the Z bullet are different colors they are the exact same bullet. Dont know what the deal is with the pricing, but I ain't complaining.

19. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo
    Expand Collapse
    Amsterdam Haze

I gave a boxes of that ammo in .223 to friends last Christmas. I believe that was the best use for a "collectable" ammo.

20. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Yes, aside from the issue that Hornady's bullets are pretty well proven designs the added cost of the Zombie ammo indicates to me that this is a novelty item that only adds to Hornady's financial bottom line.