Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Hornady XTP Underrated?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by mclaren, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mclaren

Dec 10, 2009
    I see alot of talk about Ranger T's and HST's and Gold Dots. I think these are all great i have carried Gold Dots in a few different calibers.

Why no love for the XTP? I have tested these in these caliber/weights.

.357 Sig: 147 and 124 grain
    .45 ACP: 230 grain +P, Custom and TAP, both XTP.
    10 mm: 155 and 200 grain
    .44 Magnum: 180 and 240 grain
    Muzzle loader .50 cal: .429" 240 grain XTP

I have tested these through deer, denim and water jugs. I realize its not Gelatin but its the best I can do.
    100% of these rounds expanded with boring consistancy. The jacket has never separated. They always penetrate like crazy. It has been very difficult to capture the .357 sig bullets. I always underestimate the number of jugs it takes to stop one.

When the show is over, there are no talons, not really any petals, no gold dot just good old fashioned reliable expansion. I am not trying to take away from any other bullet design. There are alot of great ones out there.

A lesson I learned in Fishing is that alot of times fisherman buy lures that they think look good, that appeal to them, rather than judging them by performance in a given application.

I think maybe people are distracted by the prettiness of bullet expanded through gel in perfect conditions. I think the XTP doesnt get as much attention because they dont fold open with 6 mini chainsaws or dont release diamond tipped throwing stars in the target. Too boring.

Just a thought. These bullets never cease to amaze me.
    Anyone have better/worse experience with these?
  2. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

I really really like the XTP. It's not fancy, but it works very well!

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    If you look at my reloading supplies, you'll find about 5 times the amount of XTP's compared to any other hunting / defense bullet. Affordable, consistent, accurate, and like you said, they perform well. It's not bonded, but it doesn't fall apart either.

Also, I don't mind sending a little money back to my home state. :supergrin:
  4. cmspeedy

Apr 24, 2007
    here, now
    XTP's make great hunting rounds IMO. I find them to be the most accurate hollow points I shoot.

There is nothing wrong with them at all - but your right they are boring and don't have the accompanying man shredding claws(talons), explosive expansion (HST), beautiful star shaped recovered slugs (HST & DPX), and most of all MARKETING HYPE. They work, work well, and are proven in the real world. If a deep penetrating hollow point is desired - I would look no further.

Don't overlook the marketing part - I'm guilty of it too. I am always looking for the next best thing in bullet technology. When I first started shooting I was obsessed with it. Now, as long as it's a proven HP from a major manufacturer I worry less about terminal performance as they all work pretty well nowadays. Now, after verifying function in my gun and reading up on real world shootings stats I could care less if I have an XTP, Gold Dot, Talon, HST, Golden Sabre.......
  5. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    The 200grXTP is my fav. short bbl 45acp load. It will penetrate as deep as most 230gr & w/ slightly less recoil from a smaller/lighter pistol. The 124gr/9mm as loaded by BH is a pretty good performer @ +P vel. I like it in my G26.
  6. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    It's in the top three of my choices for self-defense ammo. I just wish they made a 165gr TAP FPD or Custom load. The other two would be HST and Ranger T, though I haven't gotten my hands on any HST yet. I'd like to do my own ballistic testing with each of them. I wouldn't put them in any particular order because I haven't done my own testing with them yet.

I'm also quite interested in the new .40 165gr. Critical Defense load they have, but I haven't seen it in my area and have only seen a few home-made tests done with the cartridge in other calibers.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I tested the .40 S&W 180 grain TAP FPD load. I wasn't very impressed. The bullets expanded very well against bare wet pack, but did not expand much at all against 4 layer denim. I think I would like to give the 155 grain XTP a try and see what that round can do.
  8. 481

Feb 20, 2009
    I think the XTP design is one of the best kept SD ammunition secrets. It offers excellent accuracy, deep penetration and expansion to ~1.5x caliber.

I carry the 147 gr. XTP in my Glock 17 and 19 and the 230 gr. XTP +P in my HK USP45. Both selections fit the parameters of what I want in an SD round:

A JHP
    (1) in the heaviest practical bullet weight in the caliber
    (2) moving between 800 fps and 1,000 fps
    (3) that provides ~14 inches of terminal penetration.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. mongo356

Aug 18, 2004
    I saw a rumor one time that they use a harder lead alloy and that is what contributes to them holding together and penetrating better?? I cannot confirm that but it would make sense.

They do work really well for me, I have tried them in several calibers .357Mag, 40, 10mm, .380acp Critical Defense and they seem to do a good job in my hillbilly tests.

I am looking forward to the 165 in 40S&W to see how they do.
  10. 481

Feb 20, 2009
    Could be.

S'pose you could give Hornady a call and ask although I wonder if they'd be willing to discuss it.
  11. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    The 200 gr 45 ACP is my carry round, 110 gr in 38sp, 90 gr in my .380ACP! They work and work well!:supergrin:
  12. PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    I think XTP HP's are good for faster calibers, but I had a difficult time getting the 230gr 45 ACP to expand. I works great out of my 460 Rowland at 1,300 fps. I think they are great hunting rounds and I use them as such in 357, 44 mag, and 500 S&W Mag. I do not think they make a good defensive bullet, with others like the HST and GD out there. Black Hills loads XTP's and I have not be able to get them to expand much in bare milk jugs of water, which should be ideal for expansion.
  13. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I don't do my own testing so I rely on the testimony of those who do.

I do know that the 115-grain Fiocchi Extrema XTP round is by far the most accurate ammo I've shot in my PF-9, and that's why I carry this round in that pistol. One of these days I'll get around to comparing the 124-grain Extrema round in my larger 9mm pistol.
  14. BMcDonald7

Aug 10, 2009
    I think its an ok bullet, it shoots good and will expand most of the time with good penetration. However I do think it is inconsistent in expanding against 4-layers of denim from what I have seen. I have some 230gr +P XTP I would use for hunting but not for SD as I think +P doesn't offer the 45 much except more recoil. For SD in 45 i stick to HST and Ranger-T. In 9mm i stick to HST and DPX.
  15. krunchnik

krunchnik THE CROW

Aug 24, 2009
    Fiochhi Extrema-230gr XTP,thats all I carry in mine,accurate and very reliable I have found.And at $29.95 for a box of 50-price cant be beat.I wonder how much advertising contributes to a box of their competitors at $29.95 for a box of 20.
  16. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

Aug 10, 2008

i cant say much about the denim testing but itelll hurt ya'.

i think you have selected better options.
  17. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
    It was one of the first bullets to meet the FBI's infamous protocols for duty ammunition.

It is underrated. No eye catching hot babes on the boxes, no pretty flowers of spinning nytrilium death, no uber bonding process electrochemically applied, no "TACTICAL" names...

One of the better kept secrets out there for SD ammo for sure! Expansion is nice, however, if that's all you get then you've missed your target...

Vitals hit means a bad person is stopped.
  18. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Give the BlackHills 124gr+P a try. It makes 1220fps in my G26 & expands nicely to 65cal in denim covered wetpack.
  19. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    XTP's are good but they are kind of an older technology. Underrated? Probably.

I am sure that they would work. I have some I am gonna test with in .45.