close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady quick change bushing

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sdelam, Aug 5, 2010.

1. sdelam

sdelam
    Expand Collapse

So I've been wanting to try one of these bushings in my Lee classic cast and see if it would work. I love the idea of being able to set the dies up once and leave them while still being able to develop loads on a single stage.

Since they are on sale, I picked one up and installed it tonight. I took a few rough measurments with the calipers and it seemed about dead on as a match for the LNL So I played with some 9mm and it seems that the classic cast seats about .005 deeper than the LNL. Not too bad but I think I would still like to shim it.

Anyone know where to get a .005 shim to place under the bushing? I've also thought about playing with the amount of turns I screw the bushing into the press until I find the right spot, then marking it and appling some locktite and screwing it back in. Not sure if it would come loose or not, I would really rather have a shim. What you guys think?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=799411

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Call Hornady, they'll send you the shim for free.

Jack

3. sdelam

sdelam
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I couldnt wait until tomorrow so I got some feeler gages out and tried to see how much shim I needed. I found that two layers of clear packaging tape is the exact amount of shim I need to make the two presses match. I am stoked over this, I was about to start looking at buying an additional set of dies for the single stage. I may call Hornady anyway and see if they have a shim kit or something, but it will work for now.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

If you get the powder measure shim that hornady gives out for free, I'm guessing it will probably raise it that .005..

IGF

5. sdelam

sdelam
    Expand Collapse

I was wondering if those would work since they are meant to go between the LNL bushing and and the press and not below the conversion bushing which is a larger diameter since the LNL bushing goes in side it. I dont have any to play with since I just use white thread tape on
    my powder measure bushing. Thanks guys.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

.005 isn't much, would an appropriate sized washer(under the conversion bushing) work?

IGF

#6 IndyGunFreak, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Tuning .005" out of a dieset sounds like a lot of trouble for very little gain.

8. sdelam

sdelam
    Expand Collapse

I agree, it isnt much and might not matter in the big picture but I guess I have a little OCD and want it perfect.

While playing with it last night I used a set of feeler gages to see how much shim I would need. I found .005 was too much, .0025 was just about right. I doubt I find a washer at lowes that is only .0025 so the tape will have to work.

9. at_liberty

at_liberty
    Expand Collapse

I have Hornady bushings and adapters in hand and find that they fit only RCBS sized, 1 1/2" threads, not 1 1/4" standard, i.e they are not usable on Lee presses. I checked and my part numbers are the same as show on the linked page. I was about to return them as misrepresented when I read your post. I am really missing something here, because you clearly imply that you have been able to install yours.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I believe you have to spin that threaded insert out of the Lee/RCBS press, then thread in the LNL adapter..

IGF

11. at_liberty

at_liberty
    Expand Collapse

I don't find any insert in the press. The die threads are in the body of the SS press as well as the turrets of the others. It makes sense that adapters wouldn't work, if Hornady dies thread directly into my presses. Maybe there is a model of Lee press that has an insert but mine don't.

12. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

What press do you have?

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1281104216.116=/html/catalog/classic.html

In the product description...

So remove the threaded die adapter, and simply thread in the hornady bushing. The conversion kit isn't made to work w/ a tool head(Loadmaster, LCT, etc.). It's really designed for most single stage presses(or any press w/ a 1 1/4-12 thread, that you want to use 7/8 dies in)
    IGF

#13 IndyGunFreak, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  14. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

If your press has where your dies screw into looks like a nut. Just unscrew that and install the Hornady adaptor. If your press does not have a nut on top then you cannot use the LNL system.

15. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Also when you install the LNL adaptor read the directions on how too do it first. Its very simple if you do it right. Pain too undo your mistake.

16. at_liberty

at_liberty
    Expand Collapse

My presses don't include any insert and nut, and I don't need any better press, so I will just return the Hornady stuff. The description said nothing about the critical feature that defines a generation or model of press as compatible.

17. at_liberty

at_liberty
    Expand Collapse

The directions are a few sentences that say nothing about an insert and removing it. I guess that requirement would be obvious if I actually had an insert. What it doesn't do is stop me from ordering something I can't use.

#17 at_liberty, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  18. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

What press do you own?

19. at_liberty

at_liberty
    Expand Collapse

An Anniversary kit SS from about 2003. I also have the little cheapo C press as a priming station. I have a turret and two progressive models also. I load only 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP pistol ammo.

Now that this has come up at the same time as the arrival of my Redding G-RX base sizing die for 40 S&W and experiencing how much leveraging and force is required to drive a bulged case through the die, I might well spring for a new SS press.

20. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

Notebooke paper is .003", you could try that.