close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady Powder Cop Die or RCBS Lockout Die?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Flipz, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

Out of these 2 powder check dies which one would you choose to use on a Hornady LNL AP Progressive press loading 9mm and .45ACP?

Hornady Powder Cop Die or RCBS Lockout Die?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I'm using the RCBS lock-out on my XL650 for 9mm. The one merit I really have found to be useful for is that it locks the machine up when a .380 case gets pass the sizer and powder drop die. The difference in case size is noticed and changes the sensed change in volume. I don't know how much of a visual cue you would get with the Power Cop, maybe Jack or Bob would know and be able to elaborate.
    [​IMG]

#2 Boxerglocker, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I've been using the Powder Cops on both my LNL's for over a year. Have no complaints what-so-ever. Very easy to install and adjust. Unless you load with your eyes closed you can't help but see the indicator rod... it's right in front of you.

After you work with it for a little while you can easily identify when a load is 'a little heavy or a little light', not just no powder or double charge.

A few weeks ago I ordered the RCBS Lock-Out just to compare the two. It's still sitting on the bench in it's little green box... I probably should go in and install it. Maybe I'll do that tonight or tomorrow... casting right now.

Jack

4. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

I am leaning towards the RCBS Lockout Die. The main reason is because I dont have to look at it constantly like the Hornady Powder Cop Die.

This will be for my first press. Ive been doing tons of research over the last 6 months and have decided on the LNL. It was a hard decision as I was leaning towards the 550B for a long time. But in the end the LNL made the most sense.

Anyways, I want to be as safe as possible and that is why I will definitley be using some type of powder check die.

GIOAJACK,
    If you could test the RCBS Lockout Die out and let me know what you think about it Id appreciate it.

#4 Flipz, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

Only use the Powder cop die for 223 and look in the case as I'm setting the bullet loading pistol rounds.

Bob

6. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I'll make a point of installing it and posting something by tomorrow night. Boy, the sacrifices I make for you rookies... I should be granted Sainthood.

Jack

7. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

Good choice! :thumbsup:

Bob

8. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

LOL, thanks Jack! Hows the ticker been doing? Glad to see youre back to your old self.

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Go to the Ulitimate reloaders website, he has some very good videos on how they both work. It helped me make my decision as to which one to go with.
    If I ever in the future by another press it might be a LNL for .223
    I would probably take Bobs lead and go with the Powder Cop there... pad his commission :supergrin:

10. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

I have two more in stock for you and Steve.

[​IMG]

Bob

11. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

Gonna be ordering a bunch of stuff from Graf's. But thanks for the offer Bob.

12. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

Ive watched the videos there and he does a very good job with his reviews (one of the reasons why Im going with the LNL).

Im leaning towards the Lockout Die since it's a physical die instead of a visual die like the Powder Cop Die. Both seem to work great. Since I wont be using a case feeder for a little while I just wanna cover my bases since I'll be looking at putting the bullet and new case on after every throw. I guess Im just concerned about taking my eye off the Powder Cop Die and not being sure the case has the correct powder amount.

Still havent decided yet so Im just looking for opinions from those who have used the dies.

13. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen
    Expand Collapse

I went with the lock out die. I've got enough to keep an eye on when running a progressive.

I don't worry about a double charge. I have the LNL, it auto indexes. Besides, I use powder/charge combinations that will overflow on a double. So, I set the lock out so it locks if the charge is even a few tenths of a grain too low. That way if the powder measure is doing something even a little bit wrong I'll know it. It's locked a few times and has meant the powder measure is real low and is throwing a slightly lighter charge. I love this set up.

14. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

For 9mm I plan to use 124gr Montana Gold FMJ's and W231 with either Win or CCI SPP's. From what Ive read 231 meters fairly well in the LNL. I just want to play it safe and use a powder check die that will help me out if I take my eye off the die.

15. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

That is another nice little trick I did myself… my normal charge is 4.1g of TG. I bench set the RCBS at just on 4.1… because the RCBS locks out at only "No charge" or "double charge" it works great.

16. Flipz

Flipz
    Expand Collapse

GioaJack,

I wont be placing my order until early next week. If you have a chance to test your Lockout Die before then that would be great. Id really like to hear your feedback on it since you already have been using the Powder Cop Die. Pros and Cons of both or just an honest opinion on which one you would recommend and why is really what Im looking for.
    Thanks!

17. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

WoW! I'd like to see Jack multi task like that. Casting with one hand, typing with the other.:wow:

His ex's must have some stories indeed!

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Something you might be overlooking... It's not a big deal, but in order to use the Powder Cop on a LNL, you're going to either have to buy the powder through expanders, so you can drop powder and expand at the same time.... or... you're going to have to seat and crimp in the same station.

Just something to think about.... Good luck on your purchase!

IGF

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Thats funny, Why do you have two just sitting there?

20. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

My two LNLs are mounted those two are for you and Boxer when ya get ready for em.

:supergrin:

Bob