close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hornady Lock n Load AP.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GlockMonk, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Hi folks, I've been reloading pistol cartridges with my Dillon SDBs for a few years now, and I'm ready to step up to reloading the 223, due to shortages, and ever increasing prices.

I'm currently looking at Hornady Lock n Load AP, as I want an auto indexing press. I've thought about the Dillon 650, but I kept hearing the caliber/primer changes are a pain.

The LnL AP supposedly had some priming issues a while back, but does anyone know, if Hornady has fixed those issues? Please share your thoughts on this one, thanks.

GlockMonk

2. Thanks, that's what I keep hearing as well. So, it's not that big of a deal to change caliber/primer setup? I could go either way, price is not an issue.

GlockMonk

3. alitke15

alitke15

Dec 13, 2011
    I run a Hornady LnL AP and have no issues with primers. The only thing you have to watch for is trash that might get stuck in the priming system. You will know right away as you feel a huge amount of force and the unit will not allow you to upstroke. I had this happen twice but once I cleared the debris it was fine.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I have a 650... haven't changed calibers yet, but don't see that it would be "a pain". Toolhead swaps out easily enough. I have had the primer system apart (very simple) so just swapping out the large/small primer parts are easy. Which just leads the few casefeeder parts.

Nah.... I can't see it taking more than 15 minutes the first time, and 10 minutes after that (because you know what you're doing).

Love the 650. Its casefeeder was "designed in" more so than the LNL.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been told that it is possible to replace the entire priming mechanism with just a couple of screws. This is a more expensive way to go than changing individual smaller components but it's in keeping with the deluxe toolhead approach where every toolhead has dies and a powder measure. After a while that gets to be a lot of powder measurers...

You still have to replace components in the case feeder assembly and perhaps even the plate in the case feeder itself.

Richard

6. timpar

timpar

Aug 7, 2007
    Utah
    I bought a LNL a couple of years ago, after looking very closely at the 650 too. I could have gone either way. They're both excellent machines.

Both require the priming area be kept free of powder and debris. If I have priming issues, it's because of powder under the primer slide. If I keep it clean, I don't have priming issues.

My take is this: if you plan on using the case feeder, get the 650.

If you don't plan on getting a case feeder, or plan on doing a lot of caliber changes, get the LNL.

I have a Dillon case trimmer for .223 on my LNL and absolutely love that setup. Makes rifle case prep a joy. The only way it could be any sweeter is if I had a case feeder (sigh).

Whichever you choose, you won't be disappoint.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I and a small amount of others have had issues with not being able to seat primers deep enough on the LnL. Hornady does not have a fix. I can go on for paragraphs about how the 650 is a better mechanical design then the LnL. LnL has some nice features but I don't miss the feature and prefer the 650 because if just works better. Caliber conversion are about the same on both unless you go from small to large primers or vice versa. Cost is higher on the 650 for conversions because it has unique parts for each caliber. That is also why it works better.

8. Thank you folks for the inputs. I did some more research, and seems like LnL could still be a hit and miss. There are some people who have no problems, and there are some with nothing but problems.

I'll just play safe, and keep on drinking the blue kool-aid :supergrin:.

GlockMonk

9. glock30sfuser

glock30sfuser

Jan 6, 2009
    Good plan-I remember coming back from the garage frustrated because the case feeder was nothing but problems, Now I come back with the dillon with hundreds made at a time. Its far less frustrating than trying to figure out how to make something work like you have to do on the hornady.