close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady Critical Duty

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by UtahBassKicker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Stlbrian

Stlbrian
    Expand Collapse

According to the manufacturer critical duty is designed to operate in a full sized handgun.

Critical defense meanwhile is specifically designed for shorter barreled CCW style weapons, such as the G23 that you and I carry.

http://www.hornady.com/support/critical-duty-and-critical-defense

I took the word of the folks that make the round and settled on the critical defense for mine.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

....only you seem to be arguing

3. jhc37013

jhc37013
    Expand Collapse

I was very excited to find two boxes at a LGS and shot all of them through my G30SF and XDs. I don't know how they do in gelatin and don't care because the round was very snappy, recoil never bothered me until I tried this round and follow up shots came slow, best word I can describe this round is violent. I did not expect that and not sure why it's like that because the specs are on par with other +p ammo, I guess specs never tell it all.

I will stick with PDX1 and TAP FPD.

ddurango likes this.
  4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

That's right. The 9x19 round took decades to be acceptable, and only one failure to make it obsolete (The great Miami shootout)

5. hunter 111

hunter 111
    Expand Collapse

You are unbelievable

this ammo is good stuff

6. hunter 111

hunter 111
    Expand Collapse

you can stick with mild stuff

violent recoil = effective === simple physics

7. j3k

j3k
    Expand Collapse

Underwood ammo is a better choice IMO. It is more likely to open up on a living organism. The extra velocity and higher energy will most likely create more trauma. It's cheaper too. Buffalo bore has a bonded version as well if that's important to you.

8. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne
    Expand Collapse
    Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

I carry the hornady Z-max Zombie round :rofl: which I believe is the same round with a green tip instead of red works great in my Glock 27

9. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

I carry 9BPLE in my P7 but it doesn't matter for squat unless I put them where they need to go.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

#49 happyguy, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  10. rock_castle

rock_castle
    Expand Collapse

My guess is if you find yourself in an SD situation and have to depend on the Critical Duty to stop the threat, it will perform just fine.

11. 4949shooter

4949shooter
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Those 9BPLE must heat up that P7 quick! :wow:

12. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

It's usually time to take a break after about 50 rounds or so, but when I go to the range I'm usually shooting the 115 grain FMJ stuff.

Shooting the cheap stuff I can go about 100 rounds before I have to be careful where I place my trigger finger.

Personally I find it a good check that keeps me from turning a practice session into a blasting session. The break helps me to keep the reason I went to the range in focus.

Regards,

13. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

The Shield is rated for SAAMI spec ammo and it was designed around the .40 S&W so I think it is probably a pretty robust design.

Having said that, I have seen some pictures on the internet with fired cases that had some interesting bulges reminiscent of the early Glock .40's, but fired from Shield 9's and 40's. I think there may be some chamber issues with individual guns.

I have shot a little +P+ 9BPLE out of mine and it functioned normally and the cases looked fine. The cases from my .40 looked fine also. That is why I think it may only be a problem with individual guns. Maybe Smith had a run of bad barrels in both calibers?

Regards,

#53 happyguy, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  14. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I recall reading some threads about .40S&W Shield models blowing up but none about the 9mm version. Does the 9mm Shield manual state it's okay to shoot +P ammo or does it caution against it?

15. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

The Shield manual states that all SAAMI spec ammo is OK, but that use of +P ammo may require more frequent service.

Regards,

16. davidatcs

davidatcs
    Expand Collapse

Just call the Albuquerque, NM police department and ask them what they use (although they don't recommend one shot stops).

17. Garweh

Garweh
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I carry Hornady CDuty in my P938. Had a chance to use it in a "bullets on vehicles" class at Sig Sauer Academy last weekend. Was the only self-defense round that would penetrate windshield and carry on a straight trajectory when shot from both inside and outside car. Very impressive.

CDuty is a bonded round meant to penetrate obstacles. CDefense is not meant for duty carry.

18. hunter won

hunter won
    Expand Collapse

I have used the non +P in my Kahr PM9 and would rely on the +P version. The 10 mm Critical Duty is very anemic.
    The bullet is probably not designed for high velocity.

19. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

I was referring to hollow point designs, but I agree, even if you were being sarcastic.

20. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

There's a SAAMI standard for 9mm but none for "+P" ammo advertised for .40S&W as far as I know.

My reading of various forums didn't indicate anyone complaining about the 9mm Shield blowing up but have read more than a few about the .40S&W Shield doing that with hyped ammo.