close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady Critical Duty

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by UtahBassKicker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. UtahBassKicker

UtahBassKicker
    Expand Collapse

I just bought a box of Hornady Critical Duty 175 grain 40 S&W for my 23 for home defense. Is this a good choice? Never have shot this particular round before, any input out there?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 4949shooter

4949shooter
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Here is a good test from TNoutdoors:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrenK4N_qY"].40 Hornady CRITICAL DUTY Ammo Review & Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

3. Kentguy

Kentguy
    Expand Collapse

UtahBassKicker,

+1 on tnoutdoors videos - good test information.

I have tested the "Critical Duty" in 9mm and have found them to be an outstanding home/self defense round. They are the next step up from their "Critical Defense" (FTX bullets). I suspect the .40 caliber version will be no exception.

I now use Hornady's Custom ammunition with their XTP HP bullets for my home and CCW, but for the winter months I switch to their Critical Defense rounds (the FTX bullet). I have toyed with the idea of switching to the Critical Duty but have not as of yet.

The design of the FTX & Critical Duty is to act some-what like a RN FMJ type of bullet which will pass more smoothly through outer layers without that material becoming lodged in the HP cavity and expand and keep going. Which is good for an assailant wearing heavier clothing.

IMHO for a home/self defense round these are a very good choice.

Good luck and stay safe out there

#3 Kentguy, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

There are some gelatin tests here

At the bottom of the page, just hit the SEE DETAILS link below the picture of the cartridge you are interested in.

#4 M 7, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. UtahBassKicker

UtahBassKicker
    Expand Collapse

Awesome info, thanks guys. Looks like I made a pretty good choice.

6. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Great video- thanks.

7. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

If only I could find the new 220gr +P .45 ACP version. I would definitely pick up about 60 rounds and check it out.

8. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

IMO it's a poor choice to use any unproven ammo for SD. And Critical Duty/Critical Defense is just that: Unproven.

#8 Merkavaboy, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. UtahBassKicker

UtahBassKicker
    Expand Collapse

So how does an ammo get proven? It's passed every ballistics test that I can find?

10. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

I use the Hornady Critical Defense (FTX) for my defense rounds.

Never shot them, but MAN do they look like they could do some damage!

11. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

10% ballistic gelatin is a homogenous test medium that duplicates the average density of human tissues including bone, but that is all that it is- a test medium that allows an "apples-to-apples" comparison of two or more rounds against one another. The same can be said of water, too, which is also used as a ballistic test medium.

JHPs that pass the FBI test protocols, as a general class, tend to do very well on the street.

In spite of this, there are those who simply refuse to see the value in carefully controlled gelatin testing. (e.g., the FBI test protocols)

#11 M 7, Feb 6, 2013
  12. UtahBassKicker

UtahBassKicker
    Expand Collapse

So for these guys it needs to actually kill some people before it's "proven"? I hope I never have to find out if this ammo is "proven".

13. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

For some folks, yes, that is the case.

There have been a couple of attempts (namely by Marshall & Sanow and by Ellifritz) to collect and analyze data taken from shootings in the field, but they have been shown to suffer from tremendously flawed methodologies and are generally seen as being less than valid.

Me, too.

#13 M 7, Feb 6, 2013
  14. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

By the time something is "proven" in the field, it is outdated.

15. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

It gets proven on the streets where lives are at stake and where it COUNTS, not in some FBI labratory or in someone's back yard. If your ammunition fails to immediately incapacitate your attacker because of poor bullet design, you may not live to regret your choice of SD ammo.

If people want to bet their lives on some newly designed bullet that has absolutely no known/reported usage on the street in actual SD shootings, feel free to be Hornady's guinea pigs. I'll stick with loads/bullet designs that have actual history of doing a good job of stopping actual human beings hell-bent on death and destruction.

16. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

So, it seems that you believe that every living, breathing human being on this planet, past, present or future, is made up of 10% Kind & Knox or Vyse ballistic gello? Or that maybe blocks of ballistic gello is made up of a multitude of human tissues like skin, fat, muscle, tendons and sinew, blood, bones and everything else that makes up the human body?

No Virginia, ballistic gel, nor ANYTHING ELSE, can actually come even close to ever simulating a living breathing human being. You and people like you have been guzzling the FBI's Kool-Aid for decades and you still don't understand basic truths that are so self evident; blocks of ballistic gello do not and can not simulate, let alone duplicate, human tissue. Period. End of argument.

17. vinniej123

vinniej123
    Expand Collapse

When you are comparing damage done by a "proven" round to that of a new round, in the very same substance, how can you then say the test is meaningless? If you don't like the round, don't use it. I as well as others here are using the FBI data to try and decide what we want to use.

Besides, shot placement is king anyway.

18. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

True. One can get by with FMJRN ammo if one's shot placement is good.

19. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

Since I said nothing of the sort, I'd suggest re-reading what I posted for greater clarity, but since you quoted me, I suspect that reading comprehension is the more serious issue before you.

Thank you ever so much for proving my point, and in spades at that! :thumbsup:

In glaring contrast to your apparent belief that you are a veritable fountain of knowledge, your response above is the perfect example of the "straw-man argument" defined below-

Kudos! At least you did that right. :thumbsup:

#19 M 7, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  20. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

So true. Look at how long the 9mm lasted after the Miami FBI Shootout.