close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hornady Critical Duty

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by wilson45, Mar 26, 2012.

1. wilson45

wilson45

Jan 17, 2008
    Received four boxes of the new Critical Duty 9mm 135gr +P round from Midway USA ($22.99/box - 20/box). Fed fine through my G19. I "test" my carry ammo by shooting into 4 gallon jugs of distilled water at 15 feet from first jug. The Critical Duty round went through all 4 jugs and I couldn't find the slug. This is the only defensive round that I've ever shot through this "test" that went through all 4 jugs. tnoutdoors9 who puts his tests on youtube tested this round through gel and got a 16.75" penetration (4 layers of denim) with 0.52" expansion. Little too much penetration and expansion for my tastes. Conclusion: I'm staying with my Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P round (13.5" penetration with 0.75" expansion).

2. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

Mar 8, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    Congrats I think just about any good defensive round will work well in a Glock.

3. wetworks44

wetworks44

Jun 24, 2011
    Critical duty was made to penatrate heavier mediums so its doing what it was designed for.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. The Gemini

The Gemini

Nov 9, 2010
    The problem is that you aren't going to always be shooting through a barrier.

Hornady is using a heavier lead in the Critical Duty line. This is one of the techniques they've employed to pass all the barrier tests. They have made a much tougher bullet. From what I've been seeing and reading about this bullet line, it may be just a little too tough, which is why it's getting these higher penetration depths. Maybe the non +p version of the 9mm would fare better?

Anyway, I believe the jury is still out on this ammunition. I'd hate to call it a gimmick, but usually when you focus too much in one area, you're going to come up short in another. We'll have to just wait and see.

BTW, this thread will probably get moved to the Ammo Bunker....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    $23 for 20 rounds of Critical Duty or $30 for 50 rounds of Gold Dots. Easy call IMO.

6. phi1281

phi1281

Feb 7, 2012
    NW Metro ATL
    Until I see many LE organizations moving to this stuff, it's my inclination to stay away from it. That being said, sounds like this is your stuff when you absolutely want to punch a hole in something.... or someone through something.

7. dawgchamp

dawgchamp

Feb 20, 2012
    Same here. $24 for 20 rounds of Hydra-Shoks, or $34 for 50 rounds of Ranger-T. Also an easy call.

8. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

Feb 17, 2012
    Arizona
    I use Hornady Critical Defense in all my carry guns. Even my wife's Taurus TCP has it. I also use V-max in my AR, I love Hornady...

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the review. Almost picked some up today, but Speer GDHP is much cheaper, as are boxes of HST.

I do carry their Critical Defense, though, after researching the performance and after making sure they would cycle in my pistols.

10. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

Jun 13, 2006
    Texas
    I received some test boxes from Hornady and I have run it with good results. For it's intended purposes I think it is a decent round. As an LE we may have to defeat barriers in the even of an involved. This is why I carry a bonded round no matter what manufacturer. Our department issues Remington GS bonded and so that is what I have been carrying. We are looking at the critical duty as an alternative. In a CCW role a bonded round or the critical duty may over penetrate. For this reason off duty I carry Winchester SXT+P or Gold Dot 124 +P. Hornady states this is intended for LE only. I would think it is because of the penetration power this round has. The general public typically has no need to a round that is designed to defeat intermediate barriers. TXPO

11. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

Nov 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Exactly

RYNOC

12. phi1281

phi1281

Feb 7, 2012
    NW Metro ATL
    You lost me at the zombie ammo. That's the classic definition of "gimmick ammo".

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

Feb 17, 2012
    Arizona

For the special ed. types:

This is Hornady Critical Defense
    [​IMG]

This is Hornady Zombie Defense:
    [​IMG]

I have killed a deer with a 19 and Critical Defense ammo with one shot, no gimmicks here.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Gold Dots are bonded. Over penetration really isn't a problem. I don't think it is with Critical Duty either, I just think overall Gold Dots have more real-world cred and of course the cost issue.

Gold Dots are the "do it all and do it well" round.

15. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

Sep 28, 2006
    The new Critical duty is geared towards LE for that reason.

It seems to offer excellent tactical penetration that cops need.

As mentioned, the Critical Defense is another option.
    [​IMG]
    The round is slower than most other 9mm JHPs but has low recoil.. resulting in
    delicious accuracy.

I've read accounts where the .380 load has worked well on dogs.

No qualms about carrying that in my MDE or other .380, 9mm, and hope to
    see some in .357 SIG as well.
    [​IMG]

16. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Hornady is known for a little more penetration at the cost of expansion. That being said, the Hornady TAP rounds shoots nicer than any hollow point I've shot, so I am willing to give up a little expansion for a superb-shooting round. Also, almost every expert will tell you that penetration is the most important aspect of bullet performace, bullet size being a close second. Bottom line, if you don't consistently penetrate to the vitals, expansion won't matter. I would rather have a little more penetrating power in case you have to go through bone, a light barrier or the attacker's arm, etc. It's also more beneficial in cold weather, were multiple layers of clothing may be worn (I live in Wisconsin where it's cold for about 7 months of the year). In short, I'd rather have a .65" bullet at 15-17" of penentration then a .80" bullet at 12-14". Just my humble opinion.

17. Dawolf

Dawolf

Sep 18, 2010
    Arizona
    >>>No qualms about carrying that in my MDE or other .380, 9mm, and hope to
    see some in .357 SIG as well.<<<

Hornady makes it, but only available thru Cabelas.

18. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

Jan 2, 1999
    Indiana

I just looked it up. It's 115 gr ammo, according to Cabela's website. If they load 135 gr bullets in 9mm Critical Defense ammo, then why only 115 gr. in 357 SIG Critical Defense?

19. If you need to shoot through a car door, windshield, wall, etc then Critical Duty is for you. For the average CCW it's overkill. Critical Defense seems like a pretty good load. I like it for my LCP .380.

20. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011