close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hornady Critical Defense problems

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by drdriller, Dec 21, 2011.

1. drdriller

drdriller

Dec 24, 2007
    Houston
    I bought several boxes of Hornady Critical Defense in .357 magnum. I tried to shoot them in a smith and wesson snubnose and a ruger vaquero 6 inch barrel. When I shot them, the casing expanded and extruded out of the cylinder slightly. This jammed both guns, would not let me turn the cylinder, and I barely got it open. I had to use a punch to get the spent shell out of the cylinder.

I sent all the boxes back, and the rep just called me. He told me this is a known issue and that they had manufacturing problems. They are replacing the ammo, but I don't have any more confidence in Hornady anymore. So far, my .40 S&W shoots fine, but I will always wonder if it has a defect.

I think I will stay with Golden Sabre.

2. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    This is ammo that someone may use to save their life or the life of someone else. Problems like this are unacceptable. Hornady should have issued a recall the moment they found out about this problem; not just waited for calls to come in on a case by case basis.

3. pilsbury

pilsbury

Apr 23, 2010
    Gotham City
    This is not good news. I have it in my 1911 EDC, I'm going back to Golden Saber until I can run a few rounds through it.

4. glockman99

glockman99 Millennium Member

Jul 1, 1999
    Hoquiam, WA USA
    I have read the same thing about this ammo is a few other places, so I have switched back to the Federal 158 grain Hydra-Shock in my Ruger .357 magnum Police Service-Six.

5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I'm just glad you tried your carry ammo before carrying the weapon. Alot of people dont, SD ammo is very expensive.

6. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA
    I'm really wondering about hornady quality control. Besides this report, just try googling "hornady critical defense problems". No product is perfect but the number of negative reports is a little concerning.

I'll stick with HST.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Wait... what? The brass stretched out of the front of the cylinder?

8. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

So you're saying that you loaded up your EDC gun with ammo that you never thoroughly tested for functioning and reliability? Wow. Talk about brave (and foolish).

9. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

This tells us several things.

Poor brass. It was not elastic enough. It expanded and failed to "spring back" allowing easy extraction.

Poor quality primers. The metal cup of the primer flowed backwards into the revolvers' face plate binding up the cylinder.

The above two problems are often associated with excessive pressures.

10. drdriller

drdriller

Dec 24, 2007
    Houston
    No, the brass stretched out of the back of the cylinder and the rep said the pressures were WNL.

11. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    Have your revolvers been "worked" on by someone?

12. drdriller

drdriller

Dec 24, 2007
    Houston
    Negative, stock revolver. Anyway, customer service told me they were defective, and that NOW, the manufacturing process is good.

13. FEDLEO

FEDLEO Spread Out!

Aug 13, 2006
    State of disbelief
    deleted found the info I wanted

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  14. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I've gone above and beyond in finding ways to screw up handloads over the years. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell would cause that to happen. Hornady brass is usually top notch. Hot loads can make them stick in the cylinder, but I've never seen one stretch out the back... especially since it can only go so far until it hits the breechface.

:dunno:

15. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    Most of the critical Defense stories I read were from 2009 and early 2010. You the first neg. report I've seen since.