close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

hornady Bullet-Feeder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shotgunred, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Yeah, that was supposed to be a secret till next year. Jack must have spilled the beans.

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I really don't think that will be the case.... at $350 it's a big chuck of change which is basically the cost of the press itself, Plus I didn't catch what the cost of the dies were if if or if not included, the fact that they now will supply one is of no coincidence. Guys that want a bullet feeder and can afford it, get one...
    Notice in the video, the way the guy has to constantly bend over while pulling the handle? If Horandy would come up with their own more ergonomic loading solutions that are equal to the Dillon strongmount and roller handle... now that would really draw in the customers IMHO.
    My next bench will be a custom built marvel, with a design that will accommodate a LNL for standing loading.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    The funny thing is $350 is MSRP. This is a bit cheaper than all the others. The dies do not come with the feeder and are caliber specific at $29 MSRP but have metal collets unlike RCBS. Usually MSRP (manufacture SUGGESTED Retail price) is higher than what it will actually cost. Though late in the game, I think hornady will get some serious hits with this product... IF... it works and works well with other press brands. They are also making a rifle conversion for it. Others make you buy a different feeder.

Link to the prices
    http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Bullet-Feeder-New

I paid $400 for my RCBS and I still have to build a stand and brackets for it as it does not work, out of the box with my LNL press. I will probably have about $430 into it when I get it working. I will definately be a early adopter of the hornady when it comes out.

4. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Mar 3, 2009
    kansas
    Not bad but I would want it to feed lead bullets and not just jacket or plated bullets.

5. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana
    One of the main complaints I've seen with the RCBS is the plastic fingers in the die don't hold up well and you have to over flair/bell the cases.
    Hornady made it a point to show the all metal bullet die in the video, if it pans out the LNL will be a full meal deal.

I'm just gonna wait on Jack's review of the new bullet feeder.

:supergrin:

Bob

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Exactly. They would all have a strong mount if Hornady offered one. Bending over like that will kill your back in short order. I'm stunned they even show a video with the press mounted in such a halfass way. Can they not somehow mangage to get a bench the right height so they can see in the case and actually pull the handle with out bending over? What would that cost this company? Maybe $250? I think they could write it off on their taxes if they want to ;).

They should also hurry up and make a roller handle. A real one with out the funky bend (which is just Ultimate Reloaders bandaid for the press being too low).

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Agree. But Jack is going to be pissed. He told me it was going to work with Lead. He said "Get your LnL now before they have a run on them and your crying because you got a lousy Dillon". Something like that. He may have been oxygen depleted at the time. Who knows with him.

8. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana
    :rofl:

I would kinda like to have the bullet feeder mounted to the Star sizer, it might work with lead before they're lubed ?

Bob

9. jbrown13

jbrown13

Nov 3, 2007
    GA
  10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

I have to disagree with you there Stevie. I really think the 'funky bend' in the handle is the most unique and versatile feature. (We both agree that the thin pear shaped roller is lacking and probably needs to be replaced for most users.)

The bend incorporated allows the loader to adjust it so as to be most comfortable whether loading while standing or sitting and from virtually any angle on either side of the press or directly in front of it. It also offers the benefit of being able to adjust it to a different angle in the middle of a session within seconds to stave off fatigue. Except for the weird roller that comes with it the thing actually works pretty good... a little pricy though.

I certainly agree that whoever produced that video wasn't a marketing genius... why in the world wouldn't you have your product displayed under the best conditions possible? Would it have been that difficult to have a bench the proper height so the loader wasn't bending down with each handle stroke? Hell, if you don't have the right bench stick some cinder blocks under the legs and keep 'em out of the camera shot... what's the big deal?

Although I really do try not to bash different equipment, (you all know my room looks like a rainbow) this obsession with the 'strong mount' is really starting to border on the ridiculous.

Think about it, no matter how easy it might be to bolt a press onto the mount or how pretty you may think it looks it is still dependent on one thing... the height of your original bench. Build it too low to conform with the ending desirable height of the installed mount and what have you accomplished? Nothing.

Build the bench to the correct height, install the mount so that it provides a comfortable loading position, be it sitting or standing and you have a nifty little set-up... just like you would have had if you'd built the bench to the proper height for what ever machines you planned to use in the first place.

If you constructed bench is an inch or two low for comfortable operation just add one or two sheets of plywood. Too high, cut down the legs... or buy a tape measure before you start building the thing.

I suppose the strong mount comes in handy for those people who buy surplus cabinets and countertops but then you give up the versatility of designing a loading facility to match your own specific needs.

It certainly may be a side effect of my nightly meds and a low oxygen flow but I just don't see this teenage like infatuation with the strong mount.

I'm done... coffee cup's empty.

Jack

11. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana
    I liked the handle more forward and closer to the press myself.
    Made it to suite me without spending a dime, it's 6 inch's or more forward and straight up and closer to the press.

Not a good pic to show both handles but you can kinda see the difference.
    Look at the press handle on the right compared to the stock one on the left.

[​IMG]

Bob

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Strong mount is the only good option for people who buy "Off the Rack" for tables and cabinets and want a standing setup. It's also the only option for people using cabinets with drawers that actually want to use the draw under the press. You may not think that is important most people want to use the drawer. I may not need a strong mount, you may not need one, but that is only because we built a bench at the height we wanted the bench to be at. But a lot of people don't make their own bench's. A lot of people use base cabinets with drawers as well. Both need a strong mount (or similiar) if they want a decent standing setup. Most work bench's are 36-40" tall. Even finding a 40" tall one is a tough thing. The Sams Club work bench is 38" tall and if you want to stand you really need a strong mount.

13. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Okay, I'll agree with all that.

Hey, aren't you supposed to be in class?

Jack

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Jack and Bob.

The only way the handle can be adjusted front to back with the angle built in the lever/rod is to move it on it's axis at the bottom. When you do that the Roller Handle is now at a weird angle. So yeah, you can move the handle forward and back, but it moves to the side as well and it also makes the roller work at some weird angle. Said another way, looking from above-down, if the spin the handle 15degrees then the roller is also going to be 15 degrees off. It will move the handle toward the front but at the cost of the roller being 15 degrees off center. RIGHT? That is why I would assume Bob has his handle with a ball on it rather then the roller. If I am wrong then post a picture of the handle moved forward and back because I am totally missing something.

So I contend the only real purpose of the bend is to prevent the handle for going as low when it's at the bottom of the stroke.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Taking a quick break from studying. Going back to the books right now.

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    There's no adjustment as far as 'forward' or 'back' is concerned, it's screwed into the linkage just like a normal handle.

There are actually two bends in the handle bar, one that allows the handle to travel over the top of the bench, (not above it, over the edge and back several inches). This provides for a much, much shorter downstroke. I measured it once for either Boxer or Indy, can't remember which one they both always have me running around doin stuff for 'em, and as I recall it shortened the downstroke by either 7 or 9 inches. It is quite significant. (There's a couple threads on it with a bunch of pictures.)

The second bend, (angle) allows you to adjust the pull of the handle for whichever position you're loading from. As an example, before I installed the case feeders I used to sit to the left of the machine so I simply adjusted the handle so I wasn't having to reach 'around' the machine... It was adjusted so the roller was more to the right, farther from the side of the machine, and was a more natural movement.

Now that I have the feeders I have my chair pretty much directly in front of the machine and have readjusted the angle so that it's closer to the side. Works pretty good, especially for me since I can adjust it depending on what my physical condition is that day.

The higher downstroke stop makes a big, big difference, keeps me from having to stretch even a little which for most people would be no big deal... at least until they get older.

Jack

17. Jumper

Jumper

Jun 10, 2002
    MI USA
    I've had a KISS bullet feeder for my LnL AP for about a year. I only have the .223 kit for it. Caliber change over kits for it cost $150 last time I checked. If Hornady is only charging ~$250 for it and ~$30 for a die, thats a smokin deal! The KISS cost ~$600 when I bought it! The KISS looks more refined but if the Hornady works just as well who cares.

Whats up with nitpicking the video about the bench height?!?! Gimme a break.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Try this. What happens the roller part of the handle when you "adjust the handle?

1) does it move up and down relative to the floor?
    2) Does it spin on it's axis relative to the machine (looking from the above perspective?)
    3) Both
    4) Something totally different that Steve just can't seem to wrap his head around?

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    It's called "irony"

They have a press that is too low, and they don't even make a strong mount to solve the issue. They highlight that shortcomming in a video advertising another product.