close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Hornaday Tap ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by rmeron, Aug 28, 2010.

1. I picked up 3 boxes of Hornaday 147gr TAP CQ ammo today,anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Basically it's the XTP bullet with low flash powder and sexy looking cases. Oh, and higher price.

3. Thanks,I'm getting different SD rounds to try from my new to me 26.I paid $40.00 bucks for 75 rds at the gunshow yesterday.

4. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    I like their TAP in 45 acp 230 +P. I bet the 147 grain 9mm penetrates deep.

5. The XTP bullet, which is used in TAP has always been noted for deep penetration and modest expansion. Not a bad thing, IMO.

6. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    These rounds go deep & accurate. Depending on your needs, it's a win-win for me.

7. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I do not think the XTP bullet is that good for self defense, however, I do use the 223/5.56 TAP ammo. Either way buy the law enforcement version. You lose the nickle case, but it is significantly cheaper, and the same performance. I do not think the civilian TAP, sells 5.56.

8. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Ditto.

9. BadAndy

BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    Why?

I loaded 147gr XTPs to 930fps and from "backyard" testing them, they expanded nicely (just under .70" if I remember correctly) through 3 jugs of water with ease. I think they'll do just fine for self defense.

10. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999

You answered your own question.

11. BadAndy

BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    That answers that it will penetrate and expand. You do know that Gold Dot, Golden Sabre and others do pretty much the same, right? What more do you want from a self defense round?

12. dreis454

dreis454

Jul 11, 2009
    Enfield,CT
    :dunno:CQ has the reg brass case & its the most INexpensive SD ammo out there!
    good stuff IMO.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  13. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

CQ ammunition I've seen has the older blackened cases.

I think the XTP bullet is one of the better bullets for self defense. One of the trends is people are scared of over-penetration yet no sufficient evidence to the contrary supports their fear. They choose an inferior bullet for sake of this thus placing themselves and others in greater danger of their bullet not penetrating enough. To each their own. I have personal experience with the XTP bullet in self defense and it did not over-penetrate the body at very close range.

14. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I use 147gr XTP bullets in my reloads. I use them mainly as bowling pin rounds. Zero bullets too. 5.5gr of Power Pistol yields 1100fps. Power factor of nearly 162 (nearly major). 395ft-lbs of energy.

15. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    When AmmoLab existed they tested 9mm, 357sig and 45 ACP XTP's through 4 layers of denim into ballistic gel found very little expansion in the 9mm and 357 sig, but lots of penetration. The 45 ACP were Black Hills ammo with XTP bullets and they really did not expand at all. If you wish I will dig up the results.

But I not knocking XTP in general, I think they make a very good hunting bullet.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Me to on the former, and YES they do on the latter !

You stay safe my friend.

CM

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Very well said amigo and very true !

CM