close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hopefully Someone Can Help Me

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by Glock Steady, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Glock Steady

Glock Steady
    Expand Collapse

I'm military and just moved from maryland to Hampton, VA. Does anyone know a good range to go shoot? Also, how could I go about getting a CCW? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mickdundie

mickdundie
    Expand Collapse

I didn't think active military, LE, Judges, Medical Examiner, others...had to have CCW permits. You will want to check with the Sheriff in the county where you are residing.

Mick:thumbsup:

3. Mhiett

Mhiett
    Expand Collapse
    God is Love.

Check your local law enforcemet (probably state level) for infor on CCW, but as stated iirc active milt. (you are active, right?) fall into that catagory of not necessary to obtain a permit.

As for shooting ranges, any time im out of town, i use google to find the nearest, and read the reviews.

Thanks for your service.

4. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I'm about 25 miles from you (across the Chesapeake Bay). Here's a good place to start with CCW permits: www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Applications are available at the Clerk of the Circuit Courts Office in the jurisdiction you live. Also, the application is fully downloadable from the State Police Website, so you can see what the requirements are.

Shooting ranges. I'm not that familiar with Hampton, but there used to be a small range on Mercury Blvd (Superior Pawn, I believe). A place called the Marksman (www.the-marksman.com) - never been there. Also, Bob's Gunshop in Norfolk. Superior Pawn on Va Beach Blvd in Va Beach. A&P Arms right across from Lynnhaven Mall in Va Beach.

Shooting Clubs:

Virginia Beach Rifle and Pistol www.vbrpc.org
    Norfolk County Rifle Range (really just a indoor pistol range now but very nice) www.ncrr.net

Norfolk County is on Military Hwy in Chesapeake, It's right next to the junction where I64 and I664 meet, so it would be pretty quick from Hampton. When you become a member, you get unrestricted access to the grounds. Shoot at midnight if you want. There are, of course, rules and some things you can't do, but that happens everywhere. Info on joining can be obtained during the monthly business meetings (first Thurs of every month), at tables at local gunshows, and from the NCRR website. I'm not pushing it, you must understand, I simply know it better than others b/c I'm a member.:supergrin: Va Beach Rifle and Pistol club is similar IIRC.

Range memberships are available at Bob's and A&P, and probably Superior Pawn's ranges, but you don't get 24 hour access to the range.

Also, there's an outdoor range way the heck out in Pungo in Va Beach that used to be owned by A&P but is now owned by Blackwater IIRC.

5. ditch_dgr

ditch_dgr
    Expand Collapse

Hey, I live in Hampton, I just sent you an e-mail.

6. Glock Steady

Glock Steady
    Expand Collapse

First, thank you everyone for the info. I really appreciate it. Second, yes I'm active duty. Have been in for 6 years now. Maryland wouldn't let me get ccw (God bless Virginia!).

7. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Active military does require a CHP to conceal carry in Virginia.

DO NOT CONCEAL CARRY UNTIL YOU GET YOUR CHP. Open carry is legal for anyone in VA, but if you are living on base don't open carry there.

Your military ID and a copy of your orders showing you are stationed permanently in VA will be needed. Take them to your local courthouse and fill out a CHP application.

8. Gregw/aGlock

Gregw/aGlock
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

If you're living on base, do NOT conceal carry there either - even after you get your permit.

9. saminksiii

saminksiii
    Expand Collapse

Check out the "Home Shooting Ranges" sticky at the beginning of this page. There's a Hampton section in it.

10. thebladerunr

thebladerunr
    Expand Collapse

The only indoor range in Hampton is at Superior Pawn down on Mercury Blvd.

If your drivers license is Virgina issued thats all you need. It does not matter if you are military.

If your DL is MD. then yes , you will have to show PCS orders.

11. Glock Steady

Glock Steady
    Expand Collapse

Actually my driver's license is from florida. Don't plan on changing that. Sounds like I'm going to have to give Superior pawn and the 1 in chesapeake a try. Thanks everyone

12. Gregw/aGlock

Gregw/aGlock
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

There is also an indoor range at The Marksman - but it is technically Newport News.

As for the driver's license part - if you're talking about purchasing a handgun, you're not correct. It is not dependent on who issued your driver's license. It is dependent on your state of residence. These are not the same. For example, I am a legal resident of Ohio, yet have a Virginia-issued driver's license showing the address of the home I own in Virginia. When I buy a handgun in Virginia, I must show my military ID and orders showing I'm stationed in VA. If I state on the FF 4473 (line 13??) that I'm a Virginia resident, then I've committed a crime. A big one.

13. finz50

finz50
    Expand Collapse

I go to the Marksman too....pretty close to the front gate at Ft Eustis.....also may want to check out Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk.

14. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Salty Collar

Good luck dealing with the Hampton clerks. They are a pain in the ***** to deal with. $50 and a military i.d. then wait forever and a day.

15. Beretta34

Beretta34
    Expand Collapse

If you are going to be around for a while consider an annual membership at the Lafayette Gun Club in Grafton up Rte 17.

16. ditch_dgr

ditch_dgr
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I had just the opposite experience, people at the Court House were really nice. Got the permit in 18 days.

17. Glock Steady

Glock Steady
    Expand Collapse

I finally had some time and was able to go fill out the CHP application and fingerprinting. 44 days to go!!

18. Glock Steady

Glock Steady
    Expand Collapse

Is it me or does the wait for CHP feel like forever..... Guess I'm just anxious.

19. Gregw/aGlock

Gregw/aGlock
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

dude, if you're still waiting after 45 days. you've watied long enough. They must issue you a temp permit if you've not heard anything within 45 days.....(state law dictates that, so it's not up to their discretion)

20. Glock Steady

Glock Steady
    Expand Collapse

I finally got my CHP in the mail today.