close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homemade weed killer recipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Apr 27, 2013.

1. vart

vart

It's that time in the Southwest that weeds are bursting out of the ground and I need to stay on top of them or I will be overwhelmed.

My wife and I have been focusing on saving money and hesitate to spend $18 a gallon on Round-up that needs to be applied once a month and we need about 3 gallons each time to cover all of our property.

I went online and found a common recipe using apple cider vinegar, salt, and Dawn.

Mixed up a bunch a week ago and applied it liberally...

Some weeds died while most were not affected at all...:steamed:

Anyone have a good recipe for homemade weed killer that works?

2. racer11

racer11

I don't have any home brew weed killer,,but,,, for cost savings my county will sell me 2-4D per gallon concentrate at cost. 2 oz per gallon mixed and it takes care of broad leaf weeds. I think they will sell roundup as well.

Your county may do the same

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

3. vettely

vettely

Heck gasoline is cheaper than Roundup.

4. vart

vart

Unfortunately, it also destroys the sprayer...:whistling:

5. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Just pour boiling water on them.

All this chemical dumping gets on my nerves... they are only weeds.

6. kiole

kiole

Buy concentrates at a landscape supply house. Something like a John Deere landscapes

7. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

This is good advise. Lesco sells a herbicide called "Prosecutor", kills everything that Round Up will kill, mix one tablespoon per gallon of water. Ten years ago the jug was $300, I used almost half of it before it degraded to the point of being innefective.
    Find some neighbors who will chip in and split up a jug and you will all save.

8. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

oops, doubletap.

9. MB-G26

MB-G26 Queen of Fail Lifetime Member

10. vart

vart

I was just digging around the garage and found a nearly full container of Round up extended control concentrate... I mixed that in with the apple cider vinegar, 3 cups of salt, and a quart of pickle juice vinegar (which is supposedly even more effective than apple cider vinegar). I'll have to wait until early evening to apply it for maximum effectiveness, but if that doesn't do it, I will have to build a flame thrower...:steamed:

11. kiole

kiole

i buy prosecutor for around 75-100$ for 2.5 gallons of concentrate. Whichh makes many many many gallons of weed killer. Our company gets a decent discount because of the amount of purchases we make.

12. RenoF250

RenoF250

Just buy surplus agent orange from the north koreans,

13. geofri

All you people spraying harsh chemicals all over just because you dislike certain native plants(ok.. some weeds are invasive) is ridiculous, it wreaks havoc on local wildlife.

It's strong I know, but you really disgust me.

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Seriously, my father uses a flame thrower on gravel every spring. It works. You gotta do it early to get the seeds before they start sprouting as it's not as effective on the plant.

Dunno if you can get it where you live or not (it was restricted in NC) but Pramitol is an awesome herbicidal sterilant. It lasts for several months on the ground. It comes in both liquid and pellets but I am only talking about the liquid. I have no experience with the pellets nor do I know anyone who every used them.

I know someone who used it (very stupidly I might add) overly liberally and managed to kill a huge barrier (think pines or cypress planted several deep on a staggered formation). It is used a lot by the DOT along fence lines and to tame back kudzu. It won't kill the kudzu but it will damn sure slow it down.

One thing to consider is that Pramitol will magically work it's way up through the air to continue killing and controlling growth. For example, we had plants sitting knee high (and even higher) off the ground. They were elevated on open tables with a ton of air circulation between the plants and the ground but the plants were still effected by it months after application.

15. vart

vart

Calm down there, Rainbow Dreamer... Shouldn't you be at a protest somewhere? :tongueout:

16. geofri

That's funny and all.. but stop and think, please?

Why are you waging war on something as minuscule as some plants you don't like growing where they happen to be?

Brings to mind a prior friend's mother.. She wouldn't have anything that flowered in her "flower beds" around the house, because she didn't want to have to "deal" with all the bees that might come around because of the flowers.. ( no.. nobody there was allergic to bee stings).

17. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Perhaps it is you that should stop, think and ask instead of assuming you know what his situation is. Besides do it really matter?

18. stk10767

stk10767

I kinda agree with you. I am very, very far from being a enviro-weenie, but I recently sprayed some weeds on my property with round-up. Then today, I saw 2 sparrows using the same weeds to build a birds nest in a birdhouse I built with my daughter. It kinda made me sad.:crying: maybe I should look into something more benign, or just pull them out. Anyways, off to practice for the fall archery season......weird bifurcated values huh.:whistling:

19. geofri

Huh?....

20. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

tractor supply carries generic Glyphosate 2.5 gal for $60. A 2% solution would make 125 gallons.