Homemade Hollow-points?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by LINKz, May 1, 2012.

1. LINKz

Just curious, and probably a dumb idea :dunno:, but has anyone drilled out part of the center of a fmj and made a homemade hollow-point? If so, how did it turn out, any pictures.. etc?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Shooting LIVE CO2 Cartridges out of a homemade shotgun The Okie Corral Aug 1, 2015
    $50.00 Homemade Dillon Case Feeder Reloading May 30, 2015
    Homemade booster pump Reloading May 29, 2015
    Road Rage Leads to Fight Involving Sword and Homemade Flail The Okie Corral May 3, 2015
    Homemade chronograph Reloading Feb 21, 2015

3. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

I'd assume it'd either fragment, or not open up at all.

Not really cost effective when you can find deals on quality HP ammo for as cheap as 17$ for a box of 50.....

If you take a regular FMJ bullet [ not TMJ] and start drilling holes in the front end or filing off the nose to a FP you open yourself to an interesting phenomena in which the propellent gases shove the bullet core out of the jacket and out of the barrel leaving the jacket in the barrel for the next round to deal with rather poorly.
  5. RichardB

Silver Member

Very Interesting.

Children the actions you read about here were done by a professional in a controlled laboratory environment.

Do not try to repeat this at home.

Wil, Thanks for the information
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It would be an incredible waste of time and it would probably result in bullets that are not properly balanced and wouldn't hit the side of a barn at 25 yards. Real hollow points are about as cheap as FMJ, sometimes cheaper, if you are buying bullets, and they work a lot better.
  7. They can work, especially on higher vel rifle bullets, but bad things can happen there if the HP is too large & the core slips the jacket in the bbl. If you want cheap HP for you handgun, think casting your own.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. Wow, lotsa winning questions, I will have to get more prizes...( I had a reloading friend that suggested I do this with my 50 cal!?!)
  9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

btw I have shot fred's cast bullets, and they are very well made and accurate ! (good job amigo)

10. cadillacguns

Millennium Member

Back long ago in my younger days, HP ammo had seriously small hollow point holes. I used a drill bit to open them up a little to what i liked. Then came Super Vel ammo and Speers flying ashtray, and i stopped doing it. Todays ammo is much better.
  11. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Used to make our own with pellets as a kid but I would never try doing it with bullets.