close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Homeless, mentally ill man spends 17 months behind bars for stealing soda

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by foob, Feb 24, 2007.

1. foob

foob
    Expand Collapse

Hope the soda was worth it. :banana:

http://kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=5&section_id=562&story_id=8776

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. KSFreeman

KSFreeman
    Expand Collapse
    Broken Member

If it was a Stewart's Cream Soda, then yes it may have been.:hearts:

3. seamus

seamus
    Expand Collapse

I'm not trying to be devil's advocate but he had 17 months of free meals, shelter, clean clothes and entertainment which is possibly better than being homeless.

4. Ignition

Ignition
    Expand Collapse
    Insanityville

ive always thought homeless people would be prime for trying to rob banks. either a. you get away with it and have money; or b. you get caught and goto a nice tempature controlled, free meals everyday prison

5. IPDBrad

IPDBrad
    Expand Collapse

Nice work by that prison. My guess it won't be 17 days before a big fat lawsuit is on its way.

As far as a free ride for the homeless, it happens. I have had guys say to me, usually it is extremely miserable out or they have burnt through the dollars on their Hoosier Care Cards, "take me to jail please".

6. KSFreeman

KSFreeman
    Expand Collapse
    Broken Member

Brad, don't think it was a prison. I believe it was the Lake County jail. Since I've been there a few times, I can tell you, it is just a big a madhouse as Marion County.

Ignition, the sad fact is that most of the homeless cannot make that rational decision. As you can imagine many of the poor devils have a catalogue of mental health problems.

Besides, the FBI has a conviction rate of something like 98% on bank robberies. It was what they are set up to do. I've defended a few bank robberies (state and federal), the FBI has it together on bank robberies. Other crimes are debatable, but not bank robbery.

If I wanted to go to jail, I'd swipe a bottle of wine from a liquor store, run out to the parking lot and surrender. You'll be off the streets until the weather breaks, you won't get beat up by the police or corrections guys, the other prisoners will just laugh at your offense, and since you gave up and gave the merchandise back, the prosecution would be more inclined to ditch the case.

It would have to be really dark in my life to want to go to jail. It's loud, you're surrounded by morons, and it smells like urine. Bleh!