Home Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by RussP, Apr 26, 2004.

1. RussP

This could even be a Sticky as a resource for new places to shoot, or places we can visit around the Commonwealth.

I shoot at Dominion Shooting Range. It's a bit hard to find the first time as it's tucked back off the road.
    http://dominionshootingrange.com/

I've never really looked at others around the area. Where do you other Richmond area Glockers shoot?

Here, now arranged by region, is the list a/o 6/17:
    Northern VA
    Central VA
    Southwest VA
    Hampton Roads

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. I prefer the NRA in fairfax.

However I have been going to Blue Ridge in Chantilly; with co-workers that want to purchase a firearm since Blue Ridge rents guns out.

As a result my friends have more options then the 3 firearms I have access to.

4. DannyR

Moderator Millennium Member

Roanoke Rifle & Revolver is my home range. Also shoot at PSS once in a while, and practice GSSF stages, including the plates, on a farm in Eagle Rock.

5. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor
    CLM

Lafayette Gun Club, Grafton (Hampton Roads peninsula). Private club but you can submit an application to join.

Outdoor Ranges (daylight hours):
    25/50 yard
    100 yard
    Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays

Indoor Ranges (24/7 when not reserved for special activity):
    (up to rifle in .22LR)
    50 foot, motorized target carriers
    separate 50 foot(?) smallbore/airgun range, just opened
    ;?

6. Well lets see,

Sunday afternoons once a month I'm out in Strasburg at an IPSC match.

Sunday evenings it's the NRA range with the Acorns. (darn I usually don't get to shoot)

Tuesday Evenings I'm at the Izaak Walton League in Centreville with the NOVA Sharpshooters. (only occasionally shoot)

Fridays and Saturdays often find me back at IWLA or NRA.

And starting up in a couple of weeks I'll be out at Fairfax Rod and Gun club in Manassas on Saturday mornings for a rimfire league.

7. I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club at Charlottesville. It's 80 miles from Richmond, but only 4 miles off Interstate 64. I moved to Florida in Feb, and my club is the ONLY thing I miss after living in virginia for 61 years.

It's wonderful! 14 indoor pistol lanes, skeet, trap, outdoor pistol, rifle range up to 300 yards. 100 acres in all.

It's a private club, but there is public shotgunning every Sunday 1 to 5, and there are many, many competitions open to the public. High power rifle, IDPA, and such, as well as junior stuff. I have my own key, and I'm a thousand miles away!!

Check it out at www.rrpc.org.

8. VA Glocker

I just got my first gun for my 21st a little more than a month ago and this is my first post on Glocktalk. Anyways I just signed up at the Black Creek Range about 3weeks ago. I’m not sure how many spaces they have left this year but I got my membership the same day I applied and was able to shoot there in the afternoon. Sorry about trolling around here for about a month but now I'm going to try and post as much as I can. If any of the Richmond shooters ever want to talk Glocks feel free to PM me.

Thanks
    Brett

9. Lawcox... you mean the Nat'l forest range on 460 past Blacksburg?

10. lawcox

Millennium Member

Darkmage,
    No, there is a Wythe range just north of Wytheville on 77 North. Before the first tunnel, take the exit, turn left at the stop sign, take the first right (there is a sign from the road), go up to the gate, take the road to the left, then drive about a half mile to the parking area. You have to walk about 100 yards up to the range unless you have a handicapped tag. It's a national forest range, and the website says that frames are normally kept up there, but don't count on it. I've been up there three or four times in the past couple of months, and I have yet to see them. The range has a couple of 100 yard lanes, and a few 25 yard lanes.
    Also, don't go up there after it rains unless you have a four wheel drive vehicle. The road up to the range gets ruts in it and is very muddy for a day or so after a rain.

11. girlwithagun

girlwithagun XD GAL

We shoot there or at Chancellor Outpost (down Rt 3 a little way.)

12. TheEggman

TheEggman ( Classified )

I went down and paid them a visit a while back and you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of folks.

VERY Family oriented with a snack area and a very good stock of shooting, LEO and tactical accessories. A good 'atmosphere' for introducing newbies or a shooting 'date.'

If you're in the area give them a try.

They are a bit hard to find but worth the effort.

Egg

Here's the Link (Also mentioned in a prior message)

13. That's Shooters Inc.

The main problem with Shooters is that you cannot carry LOADED..even with a permit. It's posted on the front door....Go figure...I stopped going there a few years ago...

14. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor
    CLM

The Marksman in Newport News is the same way. I told them if they're going to deny me my 2A/SD rights then I'll deny them my $$. A good friend of mine works there so it was a cordial conversation. He explained it is managements view that if something happens in the store then they (store employees) are going to shoot anyone with a gun, so they don't want the good guys carrying. I told them I thought that was ludicrous and I've never stepped foot in there again. Too dangerous.

15. I run the indoor USPSA competition at Shooters Paradise (www.shooterspsradise.com) in Woodbridge, Virginia . Our USPSA/IPSC matches are usually the third wednesday of the month from 3 to 9 PM; pre-registration/ time slot request is required & all info found on www.shootersparadise.com .

Never shot USPSA/IPSC before? New shooters welcome. We also have a comprehensive class for USPSA/IDPA; no experience needed. Why shoot USPSA or IDPA? Ever shoot your Glock in complete darkness using only a Surefire light to illuminate the target? We have had 2 dark stages since our match began last year. We set a record last time with an 82 round course of fire. Every match features a classifier and at least one stage with shooting on the move.

We also have IDPA style matches run by Glock Talk's own Helmie Ashible (owner of I-Shot) & Grand Master Phil Strader (Range owner). Fans of IDPA may remember Phil's epic Glock battle with David Sevigny at the last IDPA National Championship (Winter Nationals); both of these Glock supermen fought tooth, nail & bullet for the win with Sevigny narrowly edging out Phil in the last stages.

For fans of Cowboy Action/SASS, we have a good selection single actions and cowboy rifles (both original pre-1898 and reproductions) for sale in the pro shop.

And finaly, we have GLOCKS!! We have rental guns for you to try out different models before you buy (small rental fee; no home/reloaded ammo/must use store ammo for these). We sell the complete Glock line & will order you any Glock not in stock. Special discounts on blue lable/LEO only Glocks for law enforcement w/ credentials. We also sell used Glocks when they become available & even have the .22 conversion units from time to time. Hope to see everyone there!

Gman67: congrats on the new job! Gilberts is good place & you co-workers are all cool guys; esp Tim & master gunsmith Tim. Enjoy.

C.
    G17
    G19
    Steyr M9, M49
    CZ 85 Combat, 97B SA, 40B
    Jericho 941B
    Action Arms AT-84S
    SV .40
    S&W 625, 340PD, 29-3, 686

USPSA TY-44934
    NROI Range Officer
    GSSF Member of Team Blazer
    My name is Douglas and I am a USPSA/IDPA shooter.

16. If you haven't been by Shooters Paradise lately, it's definitely worth the trip. We just finished a huge renovation on the store, and it truly looks like a different place. It's unbelievable the difference some paint, new carpet, walls, and gun cabinets make. If you're in the No. Va area, you should stop by.

Phil Strader
    Owner/CEO
    Straighter Shooting, Inc.

17. There is a security training range that is open to the public just outside Harrisonburg off I-81 exit 243 in vicinity of Early Road. I don't remember the name of it, I just shoot there when I am in town. Possibly called Top Gun.

18. Poodleshooter

Poodleshooter Absent Member

For any interested in membership at Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club, I can brief them on the procedure. It's not that hard,but requires a month long wait. I'm reasonably local and can give folks a tour as a guest if my schedule allows it.

19. anr6t

Ill second that I love the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol club. It has nice facilities, its relatively inexpensive, and everyone there is really nice. Downside is it takes a month to join, but in the long run, thats not a problem.

20. obxglock

obxglock Glockin Pimp

I shoot at Straight Shooters in Colonial Heights. Lane, the owner is a great guy and a Glock Armorer. I work in Petersburg so it'e super easy for me to stop on my way home from work. He's got about 6 or 7 lanes there and is reasonably priced. $8 an hour if you buy his ammo and $15 if you bring your own. It's not the greatest facility in the world, but I would rather have excellent customer service over that any day, and thats what I get at SS.

21. 02LimitedX

02LimitedX 0311

I'll add another range to the growing list. Potts Slope. Its about 7 miles past New Castle on 311. They have approx 12 or so benches and target stands at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Its covered and there is a restroom there also. The range is in the national forest so theres no charge. Its usually not too busy and open until dark. http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/newcastle/recreation/shooting_ranges/index.shtml