close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home Security

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lone Kimono, Sep 27, 2012.

1. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Here's the spec, PM me and I will send you more info and the link to the company. Don't want to discuss too much more in public, you understand.

2" Door
    1-1/2" locking bolt
    5 prong handle
    10 gauge body
    1/2" 60 HRA hardplate(drilling protection)
    Spring-loaded relocking system
    Shear-off handle

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

10 ga is ok, but I'd prefer 7 ga or 3/16, as its not really enough to give you any real protection from a sharp object with a good swing.

#22 AK_Stick, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Steps I am willing to discuss publicly, done recently to step up home security...I added Door Clubs to the exterior doors and bought a second dog. I also upgraded my home defense long gun from a 12 gauge to 5.56.

This is in addition to basics like keeping windows and doors locked/secured, having a big dog, proper exterior lighting, good locks, a locally monitored alarm with sensors on all doors/windows, etc. Our front door has sidelights so the dead bolt is a double cylinder with multiple keys kept within reach (from the inside)

#23 Warp, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Where I put the safe, you will be lucky to get a good swing with a hand held hammer... maybe a hatchet if you are lucky but you won't get a full swing.

5. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu
    Expand Collapse
    Kydex Crafter

UneasyRider,

Can you PM me info on the 8 camera/dvr system that you bought. Where you got it, your review of it, how easy is it to hook up, wired or wireless cameras,etc. I am looking for something a little less expensive than the ADT camera system as an add on.

Thanks!!

#25 Deployment Solu, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  6. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

I bought one from Amazon made by these guys with 8 cameras and a hard drive. These zmodo systems are always on sale someplace on the web.

http://www.zmodo.com/8ch-cctv-h-264-standalone-dvr-outdoor-security-surveillance-ir-camera-system.html

7. racerford

racerford
    Expand Collapse

No it is OK, I was curious about the 2" an if is all steel. The answer is no. When I was looking for a safe there were no burgulary rated gun safes. Now I see Amsec is making a TL-30 reated safe. Heck I think I saw a TRTL30x6 rated gun safe. That means it will resist 30 minutes of tools and torches on all 6 sides for 30 minutes. These safes weigh several thousand pounds. Short of a built walk in vault it is as good as it gets. They are over $10,000 so you need to be storing very valuable stuff. Some of you guys that have a lot of PMs should look into them.

However, there was that old guy that had $7M of gold in his house without the benefit of a big safe. His protection is that no one knew about it, and he lived small.

8. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

I suspect this is the key to most security issues!! :)

9. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Not getting broken into is always a great first step in home security. Deterrence by hardening the target is secondary. Not getting picked as a potential target is primary.

10. Kentguy

Kentguy
    Expand Collapse

I'm a little late to this party here but I did want to chime in on this discussion. The other day I was just wandering around my house and thinking; "just how secure is this place?" If the SHTF or we end up with a WROL situation is this man's home really his castle? No mote... no draw bridge... no thick stone walls, man I could really be in deep "do-do" if it every gets bad. Regardless of whether it is a result of weather related disaster, total social/economic breakdown or just a few punks trying to score some of your stuff at 3:00 am in the morning. Can my house withstand any of that?

You folks have given me some really good advice to sure up the old home-stead here. I also realize that my home is not a medieval castle but a home built in 2004, so I have some protection, insulation and a "measure" of security. Also to try to plan for every contingency is unrealistic at this point in the game but I have made some improvements.

Warp covered much of what I have done;

"This is in addition to basics like keeping windows and doors locked/secured, having a big dog, proper exterior lighting, good locks, a locally monitored alarm with sensors on all doors/windows, etc. Our front door has sidelights so the dead bolt is a double cylinder with multiple keys kept within reach (from the inside)"

I can't say enough about getting a dog! They sense and hear things that you and I are not capable of and are fearless about protecting their turf... It's a dog thing.

As far as the discussion about a gun safe - something is better that nothing, but if you have the means, invest in a good secure safe!

11. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it varies by the area but around here pretty much all of them are either through kicked in door or they bust out a window. If they come through an unlocked door usually the next words out of there mouths are "the only thing that's missing is my flat screen from rent-a-center I'm four payments behind on."

My main security is my South African Mastiff. I'm thinking of getting a security system as well. My house came with big french doors in the back so if someone wants in they will get it.

12. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If someone wants in, they will get in, regardless of the type of doors you have. Well, most likely, anyway. It's just a matter of how much time, noise, and effort is required to get in.

There are steps you can take even with french doors.

13. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

At the end of the day, after the tinfoil is off, etc...

You make your house NOT an opportunistic target for casual crooks: Decent doors, windows, locks, an alarm system etc... Dogs if you like the doggies. Don't talk about your guns.

And you make the guns as much a non-opportunistic target as possible. Not in the open, in a safe, a safe that isn't in the open.

After that, nothing else to do or worry about. A pro WILL get you if they want you and all your worry and effort will be wasted. Stay sensible, do the basics, and get on with life.

If you are that worried spend the money moving, not on a better safe. Almost ANY safe is a MAJOR deterrent.

#33 Aceman, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  14. boone10

boone10
    Expand Collapse
    Glockeologist

From 1 armed redneck to another...

I salute you, sir. May you always stay safe from high winds and home invaders.

15. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

Ahhh I don't know some of those safes weigh a few hundred pounds. I doubt anyone is going to just pick it up and cart it off in their vehicle.

16. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

Exactly! Mainting a low profile. Don't be running your mouth to strangers about all the stuff you have.

17. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

The casual burglar, no way.

The dedicated team who has spied on you and did some intel gathering, yes. It takes maybe 2-3 guys with a dolly to get it out and it can easily be put in a van or truck to be broken into later in the safety and security of their lair.

18. BR549

BR549
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

^ This ^ as in twelve to fifteen hundred pounds.

19. sebecman

sebecman
    Expand Collapse

My friends safe weighed 1000 pounds empty and took 3 of us 10 minutes to move it into his house with a refridgerator dolly.

I suspect it would take 3 men 10 minutes to move it out as well.

20. BR549

BR549
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

Correct. My point was to indicate the weight instead of allowing an assumption of "a few hundred pounds" equals "300 to 500 pounds".

You would have to find the correct property/house.

You would have to obtain access to the house.

You would have to find it at the house.

You would have to open it and then use some special tools to allow it to be moved.

If you can open it, why not just take the contents?

Yes, all my plans have once again been overcome by GTSP.

I was hoping everyone would just be happy stealing the electronics.

If you take the safe(s), will you also take the "stuffed mattresses"?

#40 BR549, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012