close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home Invasion with Rifle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LoadToadBoss, Oct 2, 2012.

1. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...ested-reported-home-invasion?odyssey=nav|head
    The article does not say what type of rifle was used, but one of the local TV news stations reported that it was an AR-15.

So what's your plan to defend yourself against a bad guy busting into your home using an AR-15 or similar sporting rifle?

BTW, Shreveport has had a rash of home invasions this year. I'm glad I live across the river in Bossier City.

2. Hyksos

Hyksos

Saiga 12 > rifle in a home defense situation I would believe.

3. deputy tom

deputy tom

The perps probably used a marlin 60 with a broken stock = AK/AR/machine gun in the eyes of the media. 12 ga shotgun or G17 would be my answer to the threat. Whichever one is closer.YMMV. tom.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. kiole

kiole

Hope it's an Olympic arms or other third tier AR15 because according to the internet they won't work.

5. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Doesn't Jerry Miculek live in Shreveport? The BG would be in for his worst nightmare in Jerry's home.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Shoot mine first. Shoot mine better. Shoot mine more.

7. Brucev

Brucev

If someone burst into your home armed with anything... handgun or rifle or shotgun, they will run your business regardless of what you have to reach for simply because they will have their gun in their hand and you will be reaching your hand out for a gun. If you have a handgun in your shorts... you may get to fire back a shot or two. But if they burst into your home and you have to go get something other than a weapon secreted under the couch cushions, you will be toast.

Reality is that one is better off putting up properly thought out security features such as fence, outside lighting, alarms, quality doors/windows. Then and only then is it worthwhile to pay any attention to some sort of firearm. Do the other stuff first. Then do motion detectors, etc. inside, a safe room, and... a firearm of whatever type you think best. For most folks, that's a shotgun.

8. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

I would say my best advantage is knowing the lay of the land. With that in mind my home defense plan is to wait at the top of the stairs around a 90° corner with my benelli m3. No one else in the house on the lower levels. Hopefully the dog and alarm will provide sufficient notice of the invasion.

9. Aahzz

Aahzz Who?

Same as with any home invasion - my M&P Shield is in the pocket of my "lounging round the house" shorts at all times. I will do what I can as fast as I can make the split second decision to both get my kids and Mrs Aahzz out of the way while providing cover/return fire/etc. There are plans in place, but it largely depends on where Mrs Aahzz and the kids are in the house at the time.

10. Longtooths

Longtooths

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No doubt!

11. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Cameras and alarms would allow for an ambush. I'm sure an ambush is illegal, but if the BG came in while you were practicing home invasion drills....:whistling:

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

I concur that a good really strong door will do a much better job of allowing one to potentially prevail in a home invasion than any specific choice of firearm. That and avoiding drugs and associations with criminals/gang members.

13. Altaris

Altaris

A rifle would not change my response at all. You break into my home with any type of weapon, and I will do the same response which is using mine first(most likely pistol since it is always next to me).

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Best I can figure, an ambush would only be illegal in a state that has a "duty to retreat" since you could have retreated instead of waiting. I doubt if most states require you to retreat from your own home.

Here, ambush is allowed. A recent example: 92-year-old WWII vet not charged after killing home intruder

15. fwm

fwm

As I read this, I am indeed comforted by the pistol residing in my shorts. I have lived in places in the past that taught me no place is safe if you don't make it safe.

16. gatorboy

gatorboy

First is to avoid drugs and scumbags, live in a decent neighborhood.

Second tier is having sound barrier doors and windows with proper lighting and security. A sign announcing video and audio recording (whether there or not) won't hurt.

Multiple trained dogs and never doing anything without a firearm of some sort is the second tier of my plan.

Main thing is have garage door shut as much as possible. Most untargeted home invasions are homes in nice areas with garage door left open - day or night. If you have nice stuff and people such as landscape crews, pool guys, cable, electricians see something while working; they may come back.

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

18. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

!2 ga, 00 buck. I think that trumps an AR in home range.

19. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

This is a good reason to keep your gun on your person while in your home.

I seldom do this anymore, but it's no less a good idea.

20. jp3975

jp3975

He lives in Princeton...about 20 miles or so East of Shreveport.

And yeah...I wouldnt want to break into a world record holder for shooting fast.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012