close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Home intruder shot from 20 feet away, keeps charging...

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by G27GenFour, Feb 12, 2013.

1. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified

Dec 26, 2008
    Great information on "real world" lethal force encounters.
    Good post, and at least $0.05. :)

Thank you.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    Amazing stuff here. So, what I take away from these real-life situations/testimonials is:
    (1) Know how to use your weapon effectively,
    (2) Don't assume anything, and
    (3) Don't stop using your weapon until the BG is CLEARLY no longer a threat.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. blk69stang

blk69stang

Jan 10, 2011
    Arizona
    ^^^ This. A wise agent once told me a tidbit of advice a long time ago, and I live by it to this day:

"The BG is still a threat until he is in handcuffs or his head is detached from his body."

4. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    Now that quote must be worth at least $.25! :cool:

5. spcwes

spcwes

Feb 22, 2005
    Texas
    My understanding is that hitting pelvic bones with a bullet could be the absolutely most painful area to be hit or one of them but that being said someone requiring a shot to the pelvis might not feel the pain but breaking it will stop forward movement. Any solid shot could cause a person to go unconscious to be honest as well.

Not bringing the word terminal into this conversation (other than right there) with just getting someone to stop moving toward you this drill is solid to practice. Its a larger target, does not bob around like someones head and should be as easy to hit as COM hits.

But shooting until the threat ends would be the most important thing to teach a shooter that does not get to shoot as often as they might want to or should.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I wouldn't say ineffective, less effective, but not ineffective. It's why smart gun owners train & practice. Use enough gun, 9mm & up, a good JHP, shoot until the threat is down. At 20ft, gun up, I would expect 3-4 accurate shots could be delivered in that 1.5sec run.:dunno:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Feb 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Always train for failure to stop which is defined as after 2-3 solid torso shots the BG doesn't stop the activity that caused you to shoot him. All of the service calibers work or fail about the same. When you have a failure to stop this must be recognized instantly and alternate targets sought even quicker. Continuing to pump bullets into this attacker's chest may then have little short term effect and will get you killed.

The ABC Drill for Failure To Stop: On your target mark an "A" on the head, "B" center of chest, and "C" on each hip area.
    "A" = All Gone
    "B" = Body Mass
    "C" = Cancel

Start shooting 2-3 rounds center of chest. Envision some failure to stop scenarios and then follow up with shots to the head and/or hips. Breaking the pelvic girdle can be very effective when being charged with an impact/edged weapon. Practice this drill and it will come through for you if needed. Remain safe. Bill

8. F350

F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains
    I suffered a broken pelvis in a fall off a ladder, it was a fairly mild break, but let me tell you it is flipping impossible to move your legs when the pelvis is broken and god awful painful to boot. Stopping a BG charge with pelvis hits does not depend on blood loss, what you do is take the support structure out from under them.

Before the fall I figured on 2 to the chest then go for the head. After laying in bed nearly a week before being able to even walk to the bathroom I rethought that. The main interest is stopping the charge not killing, I decided 2 to the chest then a mag dump in the pelvis.

I have a video titled "DEADLY EFFECTS; What bullets do to bodies" featuring Dr Fackler head of the army's wound ballistics laboratory at the time (late 70s) VERY eye opening.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  9. If he's made the decision that his life is threatened, keep shooting until you've stopped the threat. That's why God made semi-auto handguns...:supergrin:

10. Roach1

Roach1

Feb 22, 2013
    In think it is always easy to state, "shoot here, shoot there. Fill them with lead till they stop" Especially from people that have not consistently trained high stress defense.
    Its easy to say but unless you train very frequently, it will not always go as planned.
    What do you think the percentage of gun owners is that train at least weekly for high stress situations? Beats me but I bet I am safe in saying very few.
    this is the reason we hear stories like this. He shot. froze. tunnel vision. Delayed. Unsure. ect ect.
    Responsible gun owners should train!!! Over and over.

11. tenforme

tenforme

Feb 14, 2013
    CA
    Back in the 80's an SAS team tracked down and executed a scumbag IRA bomber.

The scumbag was hit something like 27 times. During the enquirey, the shooter was asked why he shot the scumbag 27 times - his reply? "because I ran out of bullets"

12. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Feb 19, 2009
    Gun shots probably feel like punches.
    It won't stop someone determined.
    Not unless you hit the spinal cord or brain .

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. dsa1115

dsa1115

Sep 22, 2010
    Suburban Chicago
    That's why a 12 gauge with #2's or larger is better. Why use a pea shooter when a howitzer is available?

14. fwm

fwm

May 31, 2006
    Near Central US
    That's why my HD weapon of choice is AR15 and Saiga12.

15. robrides85

robrides85

Jan 4, 2010
    If the HPs prematurely expand, you could get the 1" of penetration that SevenSixtyTwo linked to, I believe. My HD magazines alternate between HP and FMJ - could be wrong, but sounds good in my head.

16. 9mmParabellum

9mmParabellum

Jul 11, 2010
    People do not react like they do in the movies and from how you told the story home owner do not get good hits on perp
    so his markmanship was lacking with hit in the stomach. One perp took 9 hits to the stomach threw the weapon on his truck tolded the deputy he quit and walked over to the ambulance.

17. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    For home defense like the OP, a short barrel shotgun has to be the most effective weapon. A 12 gauge COM blast would stop most attacks. If necessary, a second blast aimed at the upper body would seal the deal.

While I've read about lots of cases where handgun stopping power wasn't enough, I don't think I've heard of incidents where a shotgun at close quarters failed to get the job done.

I'm with dsa on this one, but I might choose #4 shot.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  18. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Oct 12, 1999
    Parts Unknown
    And remember----we don't need more than 10 rounds or 7 if you are in New York.

19. And according to Mr. Biden, all you have to to is shoot it out the window... :dunno: