close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home inspection business

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JohnnyReb, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    Does anyone here own a home inspection business, or do home inspections for a living?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    I looked into it about fifteen years ago and I'm sure things have changed, but errors and ommissions insurance policies and the required bonding were prohibitive at the time for my rural market. Urban areas might be a different story, I'd imagine. HH

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    I/ve never done it. I would think you would need a background in construction, electrical, plumbing..... at least at a handyman level.

I have gone WITH lic/bonded/etc home inspectors. (lets say I was not impressed) You need to be able to spot what looks WRONG. (some stuff they missed. electrical wires just "ending" in basement) No wire nuts, even electrical tape on ends. Roof vents not sealed, clear DIPS in roof line. (rotten lumber under shingles) foundation issues (just look at the dang thing)

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    This is exactly why I looked into it. The guy we hired missed an illegal septic system. HH

5. JohnnyReb

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I was toying with the idea of taking a class at the local community college on home inspecting. The class prepares you to take the test to become licensed. On the surface it appears to be a good opportunity to start my own business for less cost then a store front, with the potential to make decent money.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. JohnnyReb

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
  7. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Oct 12, 2006
    Ashi certified inspector is the way to go if you do it. All I have to say on that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire