close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home Depot selling BOBs

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bilbo Bagins, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I was in Home Depot and I noticed a 3 day / 2 person survival backpack. Its basically filled with mainstay/mayday food rations, water boxes, a first kit and other stuff for $39.99. It was in a tiny Dora the Explorer size backpack, and when I heft it it was about 5lb. The big problem is the food and water rations are not enough to last 2 people 3 days. The kit has two 2400 calorie rations and six 8.45oz water boxes. That breaks down to 8.45 ounces of water and 800 calories a day. Nice try, but its a fail. It might make a decent one man kit if you strap on an extra bottle of water to it.

http://www.homedepot.com/Ready-Amer...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

[​IMG]

2. MajorAmby

MajorAmby

That should probably say something about the times, but it's still good that prepping is becoming more popular / mainstream. Our grandparents did it, but somehow got lost this generation.

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Goes to show the best BOB is one you build yourself.

Real food you like

FAK that's not just bandaids and aspirin

etc.

I guess if you werent in reach of yours and were near a home depot when you saw the mushroom cloud in the distance, you'd take it over not taking it, but other than that...meh...

4. wjv

wjv

Bring it up to the service desk and ask: "What kind of firearm comes with this BOB?"

Read a customer review on the HD site. .

>> The Ready America Grab 'n Go Kit for 2 persons backpack is all that I need in case of a disaster! :rofl:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. quake

quake Millennium Member

+1 Good to see more emergency-preparedness in mainstream outlets.

6. Unistat

Unistat

Ahem. I would make that "the previous generation."

I've tried to get my parents to make BOBs considering they live 1/4 mile from a giant chemical plant and have weekly community alert tests, but so far, no luck.

On the other hand, no one my age looks at me even remotely funny when I say the exceedingly goofy words "zombie apocalypse."

7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Some of us are carryovers from the 'previous generation', and you're not wrong.

8. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Anything that keeps them from looting for additional 18 hours when they realize they're screwed from their meager ripoff bag.

Sometimes I think about starting a kit co that makes REAL kits, except the people that it would appeal to already have a kit they resourcefully built themselves.

9. wjv

wjv

I think your only choice would be to make some bags for them and then leave them at their house.

I found that you can get some REALLY nice backpacks from the Goodwill store for $3-$6. It might take a couple of trips, or stopping at a couple of stores before you find some that you like.

Pick up two packs. Assume that they will NOT rotate the stock. So in EACH pack put some Mainstay bars and bottled water. Add in an inexpensive LED flashlight, a small & cheap portable radio, batteries still in the package, some paracord, a heatsheet, an inexpensive knife, $5 poncho, inflatable pillow, compass, bug repellent & sun screen if appropriate, and some hard candy.

Maybe even add 2 mountain house meals, some plastic spoons, matches, and an esbit stove plus a metal cup for boiling water in.

That would be about all you could do. . .

10. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Haha. What makes you think that anyone who would loot would wait 18 hours to do so?
    :dunno:

11. Unistat

Unistat

I actually think they'll come around in a little bit. Explaining the BOB idea to them as relates to the BASF plant is much more understandable than some other less-likely scenario. My dad is a very practical guy, last year he bought a generator and keeps a decent amount of fuel (with stabilizer) on hand.

My aunt (dad's sister) and uncle are long time preppers, so they are not completely foreign to the concept. Heck, my mom was canning years worth of food back when I was a kid before it was cool.

My dad even has a concealed carry permit now. It's only a matter of time before they see that a basic BOB is a relatively cheap and easy precaution.

Your right about them not rotating the contents though.

12. Jim in MI

Jim in MI

I've made bags for people I knew that I work with/care about who just don't seem to "get it" and when I check the bag is in their trunk where I asked them to put it.

My sister in law told me this year "there is some stuff in there that really comes in handy". No shoot, Sherlock.

13. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

The same thing that keeps them reasonable and honest, till they don't have a thing.

hardcore looters will loot at the drop of a hat.

Others avoid it till they can't. this is for them.

14. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2

A few weeks ago, our local Home Depot had a table set up in the front of the store by FEMA. They were giving out information on emergency preparations and building safe rooms. I picked up this book:
    [​IMG]
    You can also download it at FEMA's website.

15. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

On AM talkradio I've noticed the Dept Of Homeland Security is running ads about having at least 3 days of emergency supplies in your home....I kid you not! Whats up with that?

16. Unistat

Unistat

That has been the Fed's stance on preparadness for a long time, even before Katrina.

17. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Radio stations are having a hard time selling advertizing these days, so they stick a LOT of PSAs in the commercial rotation.

18. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

A crummy BOB is better than no BOB.

19. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

+1

I think www.ready.gov has been around since 2002ish because of 9/11 and the buildup to the Iraq invasion (the Duct Tape and Plastic sheeting days). They were really pushing the advertising after Katrina and there was quite a few billboard for local, state, and national disaster preparedness organizations, with some TV PSAs and TV subject matters.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  20. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

You are so right. An entry level prepper is in better shape than someone who does nothing at all. Plus a lot of people will say "If I am going to do it I can do better than that", and make their own.