Home Defense Question...what would you do if....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Chris Brines, Oct 4, 2012.

1. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

The only problem with that is what if you shoot your child in a vital area such as an artery? If you live in BFE, then you just killed your child, and that would be worse than a stranger killing her!

Taking the shot is an absolute last resort......PERIOD!!!!!!

TGG

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #41 The_Gun_Guru, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. janice6

Platinum Member

I thought a lot about this scenario and decided I would chase him down and administer punishment he hadn't even dreamed of. Then I would answer for it

3. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I'm with the "club him over the head with the shotgun" camp.

4. I disagree. A relatively quick death from a bullet wound beats days of rape and torture to a slow death. I know what I would pick for my child. No it's not a comfortable shot but not every choice is a fun one.

#44 boomhower, Oct 6, 2012
  5. Why do the AR guys think a shotgun is too much gun and takes years of pratice to use in a self defense situation but thay can whoop out their AR and shoot the BG right between the eyes.

6. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

I would probably take the shot, probably without giving the perp the advantage of a warning first, also.

A shotgun may not be the BEST tool for this exact scenario, but it is often the best tool for the unknown scenario, so is likely going to be a common gun to need to do the job.

Dragging/carrying a child changes the "exposed" mass. We still aim for the center of the exposed mass. A shotgun is still quite effective for shooting where the feet are in contact with the ground. Even skipping some pellets and debris off the ground is going to have an extreme psychological effect regardless of the damage it may or may not do.

I'm in the camp that will take the shot. If I was the child, I'd damn sure prefer it, too.

7. Do NOT let the child go!!!!!!!

IF he does not comply and runs then you have a few options.

Perp will not go far with shot to the feet. Buckshot or bird shot. Aim low=very low. Even if not hit he will probably drop the child at the shot.

If you have patterened the shotgun and know where it hits and what the shot dispersion is then a very high shot (i.e. top of the head) is also possible if he is stationary and in the process of trying to kill the child. I patterned an old Mossberg 12 ga many years ago with a long barrel and a fixed mod choke. It was my only long gun at the time and was kept for home defense. At 25yards measured it would place all 9 pellets from my OO buck shot within a 5 inch circle. I was suprised at how tight and consistant the pattern was. it was also right on for the sights as well.

That shotgun was put to use once (with #6 shot) when someone was trying to gain entry to attack my wife a few minutes before I arrived home from work. Perp was not shot or found (not for lack of trying to track the bastard, police were 30min away back then) but he never returned or showed up at the hospital with birdshot wounds. Hope he wet himself when he stumbled through the cornfields!

Lived way out in the country back then when people took care of things locally.

#47 Wurger, Oct 6, 2012
  8. +1.......

9. I may or may not have shot him but after I got my child back I would have beaten him half to death if I didn't shoot him.

10. So letting the perp rape, torture and kill your child would make you feel better than taking the chance of stopping her attacker with a low probability of injuring/killing her in the attempt?

That is the kind of thing I can see someone jumping off a bridge for in the aftermath, if he had just let them go because he didn't have the ideal shot.

#50 Wurger, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  11. I'm a shooter. A well placed round at the base of the neck or back of the head will resolve the problem without injuring the child, beyond a few cuts and scrapes due to being dropped. My weapon of choice is a handgun or rifle. I'm pretty good with my ccw. If it turned into a physical fight, that guy will likely lose. I've got more weight than most people (310 lbs right now). I run 6 miles per day 3 times a week, and I lift 3 times a week for 1½-2 hours each day.

12. Taking the shot is always the last resort. But, like Clint Smith says, two in the gun *NOW* is better than a full load *MAYBE* (later). Of course this was in response to performing a tactical reload, but the moral of the story is the best tool for the job is the one at hand. If all you have at hand is a rubber chicken, it may be the best tool you have to dispatch the fool.

I do like the idea of aiming low to take out the legs with a shotgun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Really? Is that the law in the state you live in, or do you just think it is?

In most states, like here in KY, this is a perfectly clear deadly force situation and would be easier to justify in court than having the guy break into your house and point a gun at you (aside from the fact that you wouldn't have to go to court here, because arresting or prosecuting you would be illegal). I'd be very surprised if there is a state that doesn't allow deadly force to prevent kidnapping.

I'm pretty sure no state limits deadly force to just "self defense."

#53 Bren, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  14. you don't have to be physically fit to run after someone carrying a child.

15. Keep the shotgun, aim low and blow his foot off. Unless your some distance away the pellets will not expand into a wide pattern. Big plus is his reaction to the 12G being racked.:wavey:

16. I don't know how this woman managed to catch up with the guy, but if you're asking what I would do, I think a shotgun would do just fine. Either I wouldn't be able to catch up with him, in which case I wouldn't fire ANY weapon, or I'd run right up to him and shoot very low. I'd much rather risk hitting my child in the foot (not likely unless the child's as tall as the kidnapper) vs letting the guy escape with my child. I'm not prescribing this for anyone else, every situation's different, blah blah blah

17. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns
    Millennium Member

Of course laws are different from state to state.
    You can read at least Maine law here:
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-a/title17-asec104.html
    You need to read and scroll up to §108.A.2. where it comes to kidnapping.
    The key points are:
    1. Even if this started in a home, by the time anyone catches up with the kidnapper it would be most likely on public ground.
    2. The Maine law at least requires a "reasonably" response.
    What would be safer and more reasonably?
    a) Shooting at the guy and endanger the child and other bystanders?
    b) Using the shot gun to hit the kidnapper?
    3. Once you hit (with the shotgun or you trip him) the kidnapper and he lets go of the child, the kidnapping is over.
    Therefore you have no right to use deadly force.
    4. At this point a non LE person has the right to citizen arrest.
    However a non LE person can not use deadly force as a method of arrest in public.
    If the guy runs after dropping the child, shooting him then could result in prosecution of the mother.

Now as a side note, this is the law.
    There are many laws I personally don't like!

18. No, you just have to be faster, or able to out run them. Both of which require some sort of physical fitness.

19. What about civil immunity? In Utah and Virginia it is perfectly fine to shoot this guy as he is running away with your child, and you don't need to worry about criminal prosecution. However, in Virginia you can be sued civilly by him or his family. In Utah, because the guy was violating the law and it was legal to shoot the guy, you cannot be sued.

20. :whistling: