Glock Talk banner

Home defense for dummies

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mas Ayoob 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new here, and have really enjoyed reading your section of glock talk. I've always liked guns, but never really had a good place to shoot, so it never became a hobby for me. The end result is that the only gun that I currently have that is appropriate at all for home defense is a 12 guage pump, and even this is not the best suited gun for HD because it only holds four rounds.

I plan on getting some more modern guns and self defense training, but I've got a lot going on right now, and it's realistically going to be a while before I can get around to it.

I really feel that avoiding dangerous situations is the first line of defense, and tend to think that the most likely scenario in which I'd have to defend myself is in my home.

With that little disclaimer out of the way, I was hoping you could answer a few questions to hold me over until I can do my due diligence.

1. When do you know when to use force in a HD situation? I realize that this is something you have to know before you get in a high stress situation if you want to make a good decision. I feel like If someone is breaking into my tiny 1 bedroom 700 square foot apartment, I wouldn't have a lot of time to determine much about them.

I feel like as soon as someone had forced entry into my home, they would constitute an immediate threat to my life, and It would be time to take action, and if I hesitated it would be too late. Am I thinking about this the right way, and can you give me any advice that pertains to this?

2. I see disparity of force mentioned a lot, which really strikes a chord with me. I'm a small guy, about 5'10 and 125 lbs soaking wet. I've known for a long time to avoid fights because I don't run into a lot of people that I have a size advantage on, and I know any physical confrontation could turn serious quickly as I can't rely on size to keep me safe. In short I view any sort of "fight" as something serious, that could escalate to something gravely dangerous quickly. How should I view this issue as it relates to someone like me.

3. This question relates somewhat to the last. I've heard that you never expose your firearm to anyone until a situation has evolved to the point that you have to pull the trigger. On the surface this sounds like good advice, as brandishing a firearm is serious business, and should never be taken lightly. A responsible citizen should seek to avoid or defuse situations, not escalate them and pulling a gun could likely escalate. With that being said, is it ever appropriate to 'make ready' before the last possible moment in order to demonstrate to someone who is threatening you that you are prepared to defend yourself and allow them to reevaluate their intentions. This is an important question to me because, like I said, i'm a small guy and probably look like an easy target to most.

I realize these questions are a bit nebulous, and subject individual situations, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to GT!

Answering your questions in order:

1. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18509220 . Hopefully, that will get you off to a good start on the ground rules.

2. Basically, you're where everyone else is. We can all face someone bigger, stronger, and more skilled in unarmed combat than we. The answer no one wants to hear is, "Learn to fight." The build you describe is one I associate with limberness and speed: aikido and jiu-jitsu based training should work well for you. Look into training with OC spray, the Kubotan self-defense keychain, and if it's legal where you live, "Civilian" TASER as intemediate force options. The day may come when a disparity of force situation leaves you no choice but deadly force, but none of us wants that to be because we weren't prepared to handle things otherwise.

3. If you wait to draw the gun until you have to shoot, you may well have waited too long. Far more situations are resolved without bloodshed by taking criminal opponents at gunpoint -- by police and civilians alike -- than they are by gunfire.

Best,
Mas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.