close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home defense/carry magazine question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Bobcatbaseball35, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35
    Expand Collapse

I was lucky enough to pick up the last G23 magazine my local dealer had. I want it in my G27 when it's on my night stand or in my vehicle. I`ll use the standard magazine with the 13 rounder as a back up when I`m on foot. What is the best way to extend the life of this now rare high capacity magaine? How much extra wear if any will I cause if I keep this magazine loaded? How often should I fire it off my carry ammunition? Any suggestions are welcome. I`m new to this. My TN carry permit is processing as we speak. Thank you!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cbird77

cbird77
    Expand Collapse

Interested too, I heard there ok to keep loaded or unloaded, its the shooting / reloading that wears them out. Wondering how true that is cause I keep a stick loaded in a few places for HD and they rarely get unloaded.

3. G26AZ

G26AZ
    Expand Collapse

As far as I understand from reading here and other boards, it's not storing them loaded that wears them out - it's the spring flexing as you load and unload it. Supposedly, as long as its left in the same condition, there is no wear or tear on the spring.

4. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.

Many people, myself included, have left magazines loaded for years with no problems yet at the same time worn out springs, in mags purchased at the same time, that were used regularly.

5. robhic

robhic
    Expand Collapse
    WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

One sorta compromise is to leave the mags loaded (yes, it does seem the loading/unloading is what really wears them quicker) but loading them one (or even 2) less than capacity can extend the life. See what Larry Vickers has to say:

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/magazines/

6. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

I download the mag by (1) and call it a day.

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

That is what I have heard also. Just keep it fully-loaded.

8. Lord

Lord
    Expand Collapse

I keep all 4 mags loaded at all times. have never had any trouble at all.
    and empty mag is a useless mag in a crisis

9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

That's a fact, brother. :cool:

10. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

I was using the same three G17 magazines for testing a Gen 3 with an issue over a couple of months. Magazines were numbered to keep track. 2 of the three were fresh from the wrapper. The third had been used a little but not heavily.

Each magazine was loaded and used on the firing line approximately 250 times with ten rounds loaded per time (17 rd mags).

Towards the end of that testing I started to get stove pipe malfunctions. When loading the mags the spring felt really soft. (that's what she said :whistling:) The RSA was good, so...

I replaced the magazine springs at that point and the issue was solved. It would seem the Glock relies on the upward pressure from the next round in the magazine to some degree to insure that ejection happens. That's my theory. Anyway...

Magazines are consumables, but the internal parts can be replaced. As long as the body is good you should be able to replace the spring as needed. Springs are cheap. I went with Wolff +10% power just to try them out, but Glock OEM would have been just fine.

I leave other magazines loaded for 6 month periods with no functional issues or appreciable difference in the feel when loading.

That was my experience. YMMV.

#10 HKLovingIT, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. jellis11

jellis11
    Expand Collapse
    Yippee-ki-yay

loaded up all the way

12. allegro

allegro
    Expand Collapse

Loaded to 13 rounds, one in the pipe, rotate the four mags every couple of months.

13. Bobcatbaseball35

Bobcatbaseball35
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys! I dont plan to use the 13 round much during range time. But I guess I should buy some springs before those are crunched up in the new legislation. Im assuming one could be charged with "remanufacturing" a high capacity magazine if the same principal applies to the assualt rifles. I have three nine round mags that came with my gen 4 glock 27. They will get the most range time. I really appreciate your imput because im new to CCW. Im gonna leave that that high cap loaded and have it in place on the night stand and on a long road trip. Before I get out of the car, the 13 rounder will go in a glock magazine holder and the 9 round will go in the G27 and the G27 will go inside the waistband. Sound like a plan to you guys?

14. ScottieG59

ScottieG59
    Expand Collapse

When I carry my Glock 27, it has one in the chamber and a 9 round magazine in the grip.

I carry 2 spare magazines. It may be 2 9 rounders or up to 2 Glock 22 15 rounders.
    I really do not imagine I will need that much ammo.

My regular concealed carry is a Kahr PM9 with a round in the chamber, a 6 round magazine in the grip and 2 spare 7 rounders.

After some more range testing, I may shift to my Springfield Armory XDs 45 ACP. The standard magazine is 5 rounds and the spares are 7 rounds.

To me there is a tradeoff between capability and conscience. If I really wanted, I could carry my Glock 19 with my Glock 33 round magazines. That is very unlikely.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I am not certain that Glock 23 magazines will ever be "rare" in our lifetimes. Whether the price comes down remains to be seen of course. Unless replacement springs for them become rare my guess is that magazine will last a lifetime unless physically damaged.

16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

You can use G22 mags in your G23, you know.