Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Home defense ammunition

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Orange Crush, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Orange Crush

Orange Crush

Mar 16, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    I just purchased a mossberg 500, not really a big shotgun guy but i knew i wanted one. Now i would like to learn about the ammunition. I bought 5 rounds of 00 buck and 5 slug rounds, just because my dad has always said, what good is an empty gun. What would be a great home defense round, as of right now, i am tempted to purchase 000 buck.
  2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    When I used a shotgun, I used 00 buck, reduced recoil (Hornady TAP or Remington, but other brands work well too).

Aim carefully, any load you use will overpenetrate.

3. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    Low Recoil #4 Buck is my favorite for inside the apartment....but since it's hard to find, I'd go with Low Recoil 00 Buck. Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornady...all excellent.

4. Glockster17

Glockster17 Millennium Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Central Florida
    I went with 00 Buck, reduced recoil 8 pellet. Most 12ga 00 buck is 9 pelllet and the 8 pellet is 'advertised' to be a little more consistant in its pattern. I just remember reading a quote by someone (his name escapes me now) saying inside a house a "...12ga is hell on wheels." --Rob
  5. crazyasian1

Mar 17, 2010
    That depends, are you in danger of home invasion by bears?

But in all seriousness, I think you'll find that 00 buck will suit your purpose jsut fine.

Oh yeah, use the search button, this has been covered countless times.
  6. Another vote for the low recoil OO buck. By a five-pack of different brands and find out which patterns best for your gun.
  7. aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    If running a conventional stock then low recoil for sure.

Just want add this. As someone who is in this business I know that once upon a day if you simply added the word "Magnum" to something it sold, and often for more money. For example, the 870 Express has always been built on a 3" receiver but the word was not used. They add the word magnum and sales went up. Then companies realized that adding words like, Police, Law Enforcement and tacical not only increased sales but allowed them to charge more. The new key word is "Home Defense" because there has been a marked increase in the sale of guns and ammo for this use.

Be suspicous of these key words. They are most often just marketing words and the item has zero benifit over another item that is used for the same thing. With that said, regular ass buck shot works fine and so would standard slugs like Remington slugger or any of the major brands. Low recoil even better for your use with your standard conventional type stock. Don't fall into the marketing. You then have more money for more trigger time and that is more important then all the other mess.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  8. G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    i like the winchester low recoil 00 buck.
  9. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Make that two votes for Win-lite 00 buck. No reason for more umph indoors.

And unless you need to say shoot through the refridgerator to get the BG, no reason for slugs indoors either.

Shoot a few reduce recoil, then some regulalr 2 3/4, and decide for yourself if it matters at 15 feet. I practice with regular, but load low recoil
  10. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    I've tried just about every 00B to #4B and they will all do the job at HD distances.

What matters is -
    How does it pattern in YOUR scattergun?
    How well can YOU tolerate the recoil?
    How deep are YOUR pockets?
    Are YOU prepared for the aftermath?

Remington "Express" 00B and Federal 00B with 'Flite Control Wad' (reduced recoil) both shoot exceptionally well from my 870s.
  11. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Feb 28, 2008
    According to the Box of Truth this is not entirely true. It does penetrate, for sure. But less so than standard 9mm, .40, and .45 rounds.
  12. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Box o Truth is just a box. I know what i've seen from REAL shootings.
  13. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Feb 28, 2008
    Fair enough. And controlled experimentation doesn't equal final and complete truth.

But I still find great value in controlled experimentation. It's not subject to prior conclusions, biases, or acquired learning. And for that it carries great value.
  14. Not to comment on the Box issue, but I usually try to remind folks the basic problem with individual experience is that it is so limited, thus very easy to get skewed one way or another. As an example, my experience with real shootings early on showed that the .45 ACP had a near zero effect on stopping BGs while 9mm ball worked 100% of the time.
  15. MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    That's good posting, the plural of anecdote is not fact for this very reason. Although not absolute, controlled experiments can at least give reference and primer for possible outcomes.
  16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Another vote for low recoil 00. My 590 is loaded with the Remington LE load (8 pellet, low recoil, buffered), and it patterns VERY well.
  17. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Here we go again. I'm calling people out in the name of giving the new guy the right information. If you have a complaint, go sit in the corner, curl up in the fetal position and cry like a little girl. I really don't care. Giving new people practical and correct information and not mis-informing them is more important to me. This is buckshot, not guitar strings.

Above, somebody who knows what they are talking about. Refreshing. Clear, to the point, and practically useful. Technically - NOT EVERY load will overpenetrate - but solid practical advice. And from a 12g, with the exception of breech and bean bag, sure. Still, treat all loads like that and you'll be just fine forever.

And here comes someone with the typical dumbass comment. So based on what you SEEM to be saying, 12g buck is a far better round than 9mm, .40, or .45. You should have to pass a test to look at box-o-truth because so many idiots make misleading comments like the one above. The REAL message from BOT is not whether the round gos through 8, 12, or 16 sheets. It is that they ALL go through far more than even two.

So, Mac, you are telling the noob something that will make him feel it's ok to go all full auto with 12g because it is less dangerous than 9 etc....When you should be telling him THEY ARE ALL EFFING DANGEROUS INDOORS!. 9mm, .40, .45, 12g ALL will go through multiple interior walls. Period. The end. Dangerous. Not safe and dangerous. Quiz: Which is more deadly Guaranteed deadly, absolutely deadly, or 100% deadly. Answer - NONE. They ARE ALL DEADLY. 78% dead is dead.

Murphy - good job. Not that you need told. Mac - if I am wrong apologies. Perhaps you just were typing faster than you think. If not, STF up and read MrMurphy's post until you understand it and stay off of BOT until you can interpret the results correctly.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  18. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Oh - and for the record - think of a slug like an RPG. would you use that indoors? Probably not. Could you? Yes - and I'm sure there are situations where you would use it. But not many. I always like to think of "What if I need to shoot a hole in the refrigerator?"
  19. brigade101

Nov 23, 2009
    #1 Buck ! Better at distances,better patterning in some guns, less recoil than 00, doesn't over penetrate people as much as 00 does up real close either.A lot of PDs have started using #1 for those reasons.

In my M1 Super 90 I can only describe it as "pleasant" recoil :]
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  20. Big Bad Jon

Big Bad Jon

May 22, 2010
    What about the PDX1 round. It has the best of both worlds. Three 00 balls and a slug behind it. Just make sure the neighbors are not too close.