close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Home defense ammo question.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bmungle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    bmoore
    No pissing match here I'm relating what I've seen hunting yotes with the AR as well I have yet to see what you've seen with 55 gr SP. In fact just the opposite. I shot two with 55 gr SP and got complete pass troughs and no blow ups. Nice .223 hole in and about .5-.75" hole out! Both were DRT on the spot with major damage to heart /lungs. I have no doupt what the outcome would be if I put two to the chest of a BG. DRT on the spot. If you want to step up in wt the 63 SEI SP is also a very good bullet. And you will not get any blow up with that bullet.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    A reaction, neat. Like shear rage to tear you apart. I dont think most people are looking for a reaction.

3. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    I agree with you, I was just speaking about polymer tips. Sorry if I got you confused:wavey: Pointed soft points are great.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Soft points are fine, so long as you're not shooting through barriers. Moore's post was in reference to polymer-tipped bullets originally designed for rapid expansion in varmints - a different kettle of fish.

Edit: Dammit, BMoore beat me to it by a few moments....

5. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    bmoore
    Yep the polermor tip are softer jackets. Stick with normal SP for SD/HD. The old 64 gr Win SP was and still is used by many in Law Enforcement. Good all around bullet!

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

I would not do this, for the sole purpose that if for whatever reason, the BT should not be up to the task, you now have to fire four-five more shots, before you have a round thats capable of dealing with whatever issue you're having.

You've now significantly increased the likelyhood that one of those rounds will be errant, and strike something/someone not intended.

I would much rather fire one or two shots of a round that penetrates better, and may over penetrate, but gets deep enough to get to the vitals reliably. Then have to try and cycle/shoot my way to a ammo type that would be effective in the circumstances I found myself in.

7. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    Good point, immediate stop / incapacitation is the goal.

"Reaction" was tounge in cheek on my part, that wound looked like it would stop most attackers; I get what you are saying.

Another good point ^ first shots matter most.

I appreciate the replies & comments; it's helpful to get others input.
    I'll scrap the idea of a varmit / Ballistic tip and go with the Barnes TRX.