close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home defense ammo question.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bmungle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

bmoore
    No pissing match here I'm relating what I've seen hunting yotes with the AR as well I have yet to see what you've seen with 55 gr SP. In fact just the opposite. I shot two with 55 gr SP and got complete pass troughs and no blow ups. Nice .223 hole in and about .5-.75" hole out! Both were DRT on the spot with major damage to heart /lungs. I have no doupt what the outcome would be if I put two to the chest of a BG. DRT on the spot. If you want to step up in wt the 63 SEI SP is also a very good bullet. And you will not get any blow up with that bullet.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 Gunnut 45/454, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

A reaction, neat. Like shear rage to tear you apart. I dont think most people are looking for a reaction.

3. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you, I was just speaking about polymer tips. Sorry if I got you confused:wavey: Pointed soft points are great.

#23 bmoore, Apr 6, 2012
  4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Soft points are fine, so long as you're not shooting through barriers. Moore's post was in reference to polymer-tipped bullets originally designed for rapid expansion in varmints - a different kettle of fish.

Edit: Dammit, BMoore beat me to it by a few moments....

#24 WoodenPlank, Apr 6, 2012
  5. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

bmoore
    Yep the polermor tip are softer jackets. Stick with normal SP for SD/HD. The old 64 gr Win SP was and still is used by many in Law Enforcement. Good all around bullet!

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I would not do this, for the sole purpose that if for whatever reason, the BT should not be up to the task, you now have to fire four-five more shots, before you have a round thats capable of dealing with whatever issue you're having.

You've now significantly increased the likelyhood that one of those rounds will be errant, and strike something/someone not intended.

I would much rather fire one or two shots of a round that penetrates better, and may over penetrate, but gets deep enough to get to the vitals reliably. Then have to try and cycle/shoot my way to a ammo type that would be effective in the circumstances I found myself in.

7. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

I use the TAP 5.56 ammo for HD.

8. CDW4ME

CDW4ME
    Expand Collapse

Good point, immediate stop / incapacitation is the goal.

"Reaction" was tounge in cheek on my part, that wound looked like it would stop most attackers; I get what you are saying.

Another good point ^ first shots matter most.

I appreciate the replies & comments; it's helpful to get others input.
    I'll scrap the idea of a varmit / Ballistic tip and go with the Barnes TRX.