close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Holy hard primers Sellier & Bellot!!!

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by legion3, Oct 1, 2010.

1. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    Just did a range trip with the G39 and G38.

A couple of observations,

1. Federal Hydra Shok 230 is very snappy in the G39

2. Winchester Ranger 230 is very controllable in both guns and smooth shooting

3. Sellier & Bellot 230 FMJ ammo has some seriously hard primers. About 19 rounds failed to ignite first time out, 5 did not fire on the second try, and 3 took 4 strikes to fire off. And I only used 30 rounds from the 50. It does have that red laquer on it, don't know if thats an issue.

I know its not the pin (all were through the G38) as the federal and Winchester had no such issues.

Think I might pass on S&B in the future.

2. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    Thanks for the heads up. I was actually going to seek out a box of S&B ammo to try in my G38.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
  4. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    I'm a big fan of S&B ammunition. I have several different calibers of it (mainly surplus military). That's why I was/am seeking a box of 45 GAP to try.

5. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    Were all the problems with the same gun? It sounds more like you might have a dirty firing pin channel, or possible a broken firing pin in one of the guns. You might even have a problem with one or both of the guns not going completely into battery. Might not be a primer problem at all.

Although not in 45GAP, I have also shot plenty of S&B and have never had a problem with it.

6. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    Same gun, but I did say that other ammo ran fine in my OP. I shot the S&B first or tried to, then shot 50 rounds of Ranger and 20 rounds of Federal - the same gun - no issues with the winchester or federal.

I then went back to some of the misfired rounds and they still had problems.

The primers had impacts. I have also fire that gun before with Remington, Speer Lawman and Speer GD's with no similar issues.

7. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Strange, might be a bad box of S&B. My G19 loves S&B ammo.

I would contact them and explain what happened.

8. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    Well eventually all the rounds did fire off.
    And I can find other and cheaper practice ammo than S&B - this was one box I saw at a store so I gave it a try. I have not actually seen another box.

I have not had problems with S&B in the past in 9mm mostly.

9. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    You should probably still email them though.
    Not sure if you saw the post in General Glocking about S&B being made in EU for .45GAP supply over there, but it seemed as though they had just started doing the GAP caliber which makes me think it might have been a bad batch even more.

Who knows, you may even get a free box of ammo.

10. pds

pds

Apr 16, 2006
    SLC, UT
    I shot a box of these in both a G38 and G39 with no problems. Went bang every time and very accurate. Did you notice they are primed with Large Pistol primers!!!

11. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    That's scary! They could be using cut down 45ACP brass to load their GAP ammo. :wow:

12. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country

Before 45 GAP, there was 45 GLOCK. It did have large primers. It's been discontinued by most.

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm pretty sure that was in the development stages, and those never hit the market.

14. Dingus

Dingus

Mar 19, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Speer/Glock changed to small pistol primers during the ststing/development stage.

15. amazingphotos

amazingphotos

Jun 10, 2004
    Rural Kansas
    I have some Speer 45 GAP ammo with large primers. Sounds like they might be collectable.

16. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    sure enough S&B uses large pistol primers. Why?

17. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Legion,

Not sure what you do with the FHS, but I would switch to a bonded bullet like the Speer Gold Dot. I have several colleagues that have first hand experience in shootings with G 21's and FHS rounds, none of which resulted in a fatality due to the bullet breaking apart. Bonded bullets pose a significantly lower risk of the bullet breaking up.

18. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    I currently carry Winchester Ranger 230 grain bonded in both my 45GAP's.

I also have some of the non bonded versions of the Rangers too.

The Federal HS was simply because I cam across some and thought I would try them out.