close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Holster Question

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Hamrhed, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Hamrhed

Hamrhed
    Expand Collapse
    AKs & Glocks

Hi Mas,

I appreciate you taking the time to help answer self-defense questions here!

I took your advice in keeping my carry weapon (G23) stock, and I currently have a Fricke Kydex IWB holster. This holster was designed for my G17, but works w/ my G23- albeit a bit long. I want to explore possibilities with the next holster: do you prefer kydex, cowhide, horsehide, IWB, OWB,etc for your holster/mag pouches?

Thanks again...

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

Leather or synthetic? Personal preference and habituation has a lot to do with it. I use both, depending on the gun, the task, and even the mood.

The Kydex generally doesn't have to be broken in . Stays rigid and doesn't go soft with use. Downside: it tends to wear finish more than most leather holsters, and is less amenable to a discreet, silent draw than is leather. My sense is that leather lasts longer, but given that leather has been around longer and "plastics" have evolved faster than leather can, that's a subjective factor.

Hoping this is of help,
    Mas

3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed
    Expand Collapse
    AKs & Glocks

I have tried several things- but I ended up going with a kydex holster made by Dale Fricke- who makes great stuff. I should have just done that to begin with since I have ordered Dale's stuff before and it is always just what I needed!