close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Holster Question

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by SMSgt (Ret), Aug 10, 2010.

1. SMSgt (Ret)

SMSgt (Ret)
    Expand Collapse

Mas: Thanks for taking time to field these questions. I have been a fan for years. My question concerns holster selection. I have tried several makes and models of Kydex holsters for my Glock 19. While they are good products, I find myself more drawn to leather. My question is how do you feel about well made belt slide holsters? I have seen threads bash them as unsafe for catching the sights and having the gun pushed out by the barrel. Honestely, I have never had either of these happen. I wear one canted behind my hip, probably a little further back then some, and find I can grip the gun much more quickly and surely than with most other kind of holsters. Am I better off sticking with this type or is safety really in question? Thanks again for your input and experience.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

My pleasure, Sarge, and thank you for your service.

I agree with the conventional wisdom that you mention. However, the problems don't happen to every wearer with every gun. Ramp front sights aren't as vulnerable to snag as square-back post front sights. Tapered revolver barrels aren't as likely to be caught by a chair arm and pushed up and out of the holster when you sit down. Wide-body guys are more vulnerable to that than narrow-body guys. A lot of it is individual.

When in doubt, get something with a thumb-snap like the Black Widow design from Bianchi or the similar design from Don Hume: gun pushed out of holster problem SOLVED. Make sure you've got a ramp front sight: snag problem SOLVED.

best,
    Mas

3. SMSgt (Ret)

SMSgt (Ret)
    Expand Collapse

Mas: Thanks for the quick response and words of wisdom.