close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HOA - Home Owner Associations - let's discuss:

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HKLovingIT, Jul 3, 2013.

1. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Sorry, but you are using a broad brush to smear BS. I was here before the HOA I referred to as were the other neighbors

I do agree that people who move into one and then complain meet your example, but that isn't what you said.

2. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I don't know if that's true. Like I said, we have none here. I've never lived in a neighborhood with one.

Everyone here and at my other house locations took care of their property. :dunno: Peer pressure I guess. There are of course city ordinances about big nuisance things or junk.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Sep 13, 2001
    Katy, TX
    I live in a big, powerful, tight-fisted HOA / managed community. Homes from about $200K through $1M+. The list of restrictions and mandatory stuff is so long I got tired reading it and gave up. I pay about $1,000 per year for the privilege of being micromanaged.

And, I love it. Why? Because I agree with just about every rule and maintain my home to at or better than the HOA standards. The neighborhood looks like Disneyworld, every tree, shrub, and lawn mowed, just so. We have half a dozen beautiful community pools, tennis courts, and a common rec facility overlooking a big lake that is first rate. No junky cars, no weird additions, no above ground pools, no ugly flamingos in the front yard. Just house after house of homogeneous beauty. If I didn't like having everyone be so squared away, I wouldn't have moved here.

In my one year of living here, I've had exactly two interactions with the HOA:

1. A week after I moved in, and before I had a chance to mow the lawn after it had gone un-mowed for about two weeks, I got a nasty-gram post card about mowing. Got it mowed and never heard another word.

2. Needed permission to widen my driveway 10'. Filled out the request, waited two weeks, got approved.

4. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

Nov 4, 2012
    Lexington, Ky
    I think some of the aspects are good while some are bad. I remember a story on the news here, some hoa told a couple who had an autistic son to get rid of some little place house they had built for him for some type of theorpy I believe. It wasn't huge, was in the backyard, was a fancy looking little play house that matched their house siding and whatnot. The hoa said they'd fine them like a few hundred dollars a day if it wasn't taken down by a certain day. Not sure how it ended up though

5. xArcher

xArcher

Jun 23, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Your local code compliance officer can. All it takes is phone call from a neighbor.

Sec. 6.203 Tall Weeds and Grass

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any lot, building, house, establishment or premises in the city to allow or permit weeds, grasses or other growth to grow to a height in excess of eighteen (18) inches without mowing or cutting same. Lots, as regulated herein, shall refer to any lot, tract or parcel of land not exceeding in area five (5) contiguous acres. (Ordinance 448 adopted 6/18/01)

6. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas

if i lived in the city i'd care about that ordinance, but i don't.

7. JMS

JMS 02

May 6, 2007
    I love mine as well. We pay $200 a month which includes use of the pool, lawn cutting, snow removal, leaf removal, outside painting of the house and replacement of the roof.

It's nice to come home and not have to worry about anything on the outside, any improvements I want to make I submit and will hear back within the week, the neighborhood looks great and housing prices have stayed steady.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    My aunt and uncle live in a fancy one.

Years ago had a family get together and I drove my primered rusty kinda loud truck over. Couldn't park in their driveway so I parked in front of their Neighbors house, no big deal right? NOPE...

Mr powertrip HOA badass neighbor came banging on the door a short while later demanding to know who's "junk" truck was parked in front of his house. I said that "junk" truck is a fine machine what's the deal? He demanded I move it because he didn't want oil spots in front of his house. I told him not to sweat it, it doesn't leak and that I wasn't gonna move it. He kinda got a hissy and ten minutes later he was crawling under my truck placing cardboard under it.

Another time I went to visit on my Harley, I had screaming eagle slip ons and no baffles, sounded damn good by the way! I showed up after dark and mr badass HOA man showed up again B******* about how they don't need the noise in the neighborhood.

My uncle has said they have jumped his tail about putting the trash out to early, somebody complained once because he was changing his oil in his driveway blah blah blah.

No way in hell I'd ever live in one!! Those HOA nazis would hate me, I use roundup for a weed eater, have had wrecked trucks, motors and transmissions in the yard before.

9. Flattop67

Flattop67

Aug 18, 2009
    Way to the Right
    The "younger" me always hated HOAs. Now, not such a bad thing. A crew shows up about every 8-10 days, mows, weedwhacks and blows everything clean. I have to trim the bushes, trees and maintain the flower beds. I like the fact my neighbors can't have 3 old Chveys up on blocks etc. Neighborhood (on a golf course) looks great.

10. Jakestir

Jakestir Rah

Feb 16, 2013
    I like they way you think.

My family has lived in the same small red neck town for literary 4 generations. A couple houses went up for sale a couple years ago. Well the newbies from the suburbs wanted to start a HOA. Well let's just say it didn't go well.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

11. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Sep 13, 2001
    Katy, TX
    Then, they go to a restaurant with a dress code and complain about not being served...

Me, I like everybody being a little dressed up.

12. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    Could there be a HOA rule mandating dress codes? Not just at the pool maybe, but anywhere outside in the neighborhood. I guess there could be.

Thoughts?

13. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    I recently moved into a subdivision with an HOA.

No problems so far, although the first thing I did was put two plastic flamingos in the yard.

I've done that at every place I've ever lived. Call me a rebel. :cool:

14. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    From what some have described so far, you might have a problem soon. :rofl:

15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Here in CO, we have no ponds to look at. We have however, solved this issue. We like to look at mountains. It takes a pretty tall fence to block a 14000 foot tall mountain.

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Google, "bungalow colonies" in the Catskill region of New York. There are entire towns with extremely strict dress codes and gender behavior on the books. HH

17. JMS

JMS 02

May 6, 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4188445#

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    The "vent" is not the one finger salute to the neighbor -

The tallest vent is behind the others - if anything he is flipping himself off - I would have installed it differently. :whistling:

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    I was involved in an HOA for about 10 years in a low level kind of way. I'll tell you straight up. You almost never hear about HOA actions that go well - having gang sign erased off of a perimeter fence before sunrise so the signing does not happen again, coordinating with the cops to drive off drug dealers and worse malefactors, the list is endless. You only hear the bad and I'd say 95% of the time the bad is exaggerated greatly.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Professional sports do it all the time. HH