close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

HK45c shooting problems

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Java, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Java

Java

Dec 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I am a right handed shooter and have about 300-400 rounds through an HK45c but at around 20 yards shooting low and to the right any suggestions?

2. Too much finger on the trigger pad and anticipating recoil. Shoot less rounds but visit the range often. Too many rounds per single session causes fatigue and bad habits. Good luck, have fun, stay safe.

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    You will benefit from extensive dry fire practice. Make sure the front sight doesn't dip at the break.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    I'd also see if someone else can shoot the gun to see where it's hitting. My P2000 shoots low right, no matter who shoots it.

Also, keep in mind that HKs are designed for the point of impact to be behind the front sight, not at the top or above the top like most American shooters are used to aiming.

5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Anticipating recoil should throw the shot low left for a right handed shooter.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    The other day I was working with a guy preparing for a school, trying to help him build his foundation skillset and looking for any obvious technique issues that could be easily addressed. Right-handed shooter.

Aside from the not unusual low hits resulting from a bit of an anticipatory flinch (depressing the muzzle before the shot was fired, fighting recoil before it had even occurred), he also had some hits noticeably off to the right on the targets.

He was using a thumbs-forward grip, and his trigger finger placement seemed proper (for his finger length & placement on the trigger), but I was finally able to see his left thumb flinch, tighten up and press inward, directly rightward against the front of the frame. When this happened his POA was significantly off to the right of the intended POA.

The fix?

We discussed the role of his support thumb when using a 2-hadned grip under different conditions, and we found a way for him to prevent his support hand thumb from interfering with his grip (not pushing against the frame as he completed his trigger press and unconsciously anticipated needing his support thumb to help hold the gun still under recoil).

His right-of-center hits stopped happening right away. He was surprised by how easily he'd been unknowingly causing the "problem", and how easily he could consciously correct it.

Then, of course, I told him that he had to continue to consciously work to "undo" the bad habit he'd been working hard to ingrain into his support hand thumb, until he could avoid doing it at the unconscious level. ;)

Just like the rest of us. :)

Now, we've got to work on that anticipatory flinch that drops his muzzle before the recoil even occurs.

Got someone who is either a very experienced shooter (with known good skills), or an instructor, who can observe you while you're shooting?

Once you've correctly identified any existing technique issues, or even just sloppy habits that could be improved upon, then some carefully structured dry-fire practice can often help you start to ingrain the new techniques so they become habitual.

There's still a need for live-fire, of course, as knowing there's no recoil about to occur is a different thing than having your startle-response kick in when you know there are impending recoil forces. ;)

Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    The only issue I have with my 45c is that I run out of ammo too quickly.