close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HK45 or Sig Sauer P220

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Andy W, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

So I'm looking at getting a .45 and looking to branch out from Glocks and M&Ps. The Sig Sauer p220 and HK45/45c look interesting. Which would you buy? Which is more ergonomic for smaller size hands?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. nursetim

nursetim
    Expand Collapse

I had an H&K P30 that I thought was very ergonomic, but it is partially plastic which makes a differance to some. I also had a P220 that was an excellent weapon. All metal frame, heavy, which helps with recoil AND when you run out of ammo you can still kill a puma with it due to the heft.

3. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon
    Expand Collapse

I had the same choice a couple of months back. I have many .45's....all 1911's.

I wanted either the Sig or HK45 to add to the collection.

I went with the HK45:

* personal/subjective appeal
    * overall reputation
    * can carry it condition 1 like my 1911's.
    * ergonomics (fits my hand better than the Sig)
    * it will mostly be a "fun" gun....range shooting, and I wanted something that not everyone has.

Those are some pretty "frilly" reasons (except for the ergonomics). There just what floated my boat.

I'm sure you could do well with either choice. If you have small hands, the HK may fit better with the changeable back straps.

4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon
    Expand Collapse

that's pretty good. :cool:

5. grumpy1

grumpy1
    Expand Collapse

I shoot the P220 best out of any .45 pistol I have ever tried including my SIG 1911 but they are close. I have tried the HK45 and it certainly is a fine pistol but I still prefer my P220 (1996 Vintage) and it has a wonderful trigger on it. I love the single stack grip on the P220.

Your best bet is to try whatever you are considering, ideally during the same range session, and then to choose what works best for you.

#5 grumpy1, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

For smaller hands I am thinking the P220 might have the edge.

7. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

Well guys, the problem is there is nowhere I know of where I can rent either of them. Sig and HK aren't brands that local gun shops keep in stock. They will order them but they don't keep any in inventory. Most people don't want to spend $800 to $1000 on a pistol. Now, if I were going to order one sight unseen, it would probably be the P220. I'm really interested in the 45c though.

8. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man
    Expand Collapse

Find a lnib w.german 220.

9. SiberianErik

SiberianErik
    Expand Collapse

I love my HK45, it is my second fav pistol behind my FN 5.7

I have a HK P30L on order as well.

10. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

If you're talking new production, I'd take a HK.

11. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

What is it that you don't like about new production Sigs? I think some of their special models are kinda stupid (for instance, their 220 scorpion looks cool but then you realize that if you actually use it, that FDE finish will look like crap before long). But I haven't heard of any widespread problems with them.

12. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry
    Expand Collapse

Have an older SIG P220 and it a fantastic shooter. Shot both the 220 and the USP side by side and did better with the SIG. After I installed the SRT...I liked it even more. They are both magnificent right out of the box. IMHO.

DH

13. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

Andy,

You can't go wrong with either one. I've got the pistols you've mentioned, and I really like the HK45 and 45c models (they can share the HK45 10-round magazines) and I also really like the P220 models. I've got an older WG P220, which is really one of my favorites, along with a newer P220 Extreme.

Which one would work best with smaller hands? The HK45c will, as will a P220 with either the Hogue G10 grips, like the Scorpion or Extreme versions, or one with an E2 grip installed. I haven't followed up with SIG Sauer regarding the availability of the E2 upgrade kit for the P220, but I'll be getting one as soon as they are available to install on the older model I have.

I hope that helped.

14. Scrappy

Scrappy
    Expand Collapse

My LGS has all the Sigs and Hks and they rent them too. I owned the Sig P220 and its a fantastic handgun. But over the years they have gone way up in cost, wow. If I were buying today and spending that much ,money I would get a nice 1911.

15. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

That was actually going to be my next thread. I'm also considering a 1911 but I don't know which one to get. Looks like the SW1911 series are among the most reliable out of the box if you want to spend under 1K, which I do.

16. Scrappy

Scrappy
    Expand Collapse

Ruger makes a nice one too if you can find one,lol.
    I have had good luck with my Kimbers and that Raptor model keeps calling me,ugh
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/raptor-ii/grand-raptor-ii

#16 Scrappy, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  17. Andy W

Andy W
    Expand Collapse

18. Scrappy

Scrappy
    Expand Collapse

Well, the Kimbers I had from years ago I had no issues even with my Ultra carry. That thing was a Tack driver!

19. sweetsdream

sweetsdream
    Expand Collapse

My HK 45c is my favorite pistol. I also think is the softest shooter of any other 45. I just put a few hundred rounds through it today and a ton of fun.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. got2hav1

got2hav1
    Expand Collapse

I had a nice German P220 two tone model. It shot great and had the best empty case ejections I have ever seen. Nice pile all together but that gun would throw them at least twenty feet away. It points and fits my average sized hands perfectly. I sold it because of the cost of ammo and standardized on 9mm. Great gun though.