close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HK/Walther/Umarex MP5/416 Rimfires

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by GTS197, Apr 25, 2012.

1. GTS197

GTS197
    Expand Collapse

Anyone running them? What are your thoughts on quality, reliability, etc...? How do they stack up in the new realm of 'Tactical Rimfires?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. KingWalleye

KingWalleye
    Expand Collapse

You might want to check for reviews at rimfire central.
    I had the Umarex/Colt M4 and it was a pos. The little I've seen on these is much better.
    For what it's worth I have had my Sig 522 for almost two years now and it has been excellent.

3. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses
    Expand Collapse
    Hooah, Hooah.

:wavey:M&P 15-22.

4. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak for the M4 clones but the MP-5 .22 is fan-freakin-tastic!!!! I got my SD version back in September and after a few thousand rounds (want to say 3K but to be honest, I forgot exactly how many bulk packs I fed her) through it and haven't had a problem yet and her diet has been mainly Wal-Mart Remington bulk pack ammo. Cleaning as per the manual is easy although detail stripping and cleaning is a bit tougher but I only did it once and even then it wasn't being dirty causing any problems but just testing myself to see if I could do it. It's plenty bird and gopher accurate and really, just plain fun!!!

5. 4TS&W

4TS&W
    Expand Collapse
    2A RKBA 4EVER

I was going to ask the same thing about the browning 1911 - 22

6. JaPes

JaPes
    Expand Collapse
    Rimfire 1010101

I'll grudgingly agree with this. I have a strong dislike for anything Umarex, especially the M4 pattern .22lr's. The MP-5 .22 must be a different in some material way that makes it good, because I've never heard anything bad about them.

Here are the guts of a Umarex Colt M4 Ops upper. These are the same guts that are in the HK 416.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some people have had nothing but success with their Umarex Colt M4/HK 416. I had nothing but problems.

7. Camu Mahubah

Camu Mahubah
    Expand Collapse
    9=Fine

I picked one up at the LGS and it felt great and aimed naturally. Made me want it really bad. But I'd think a Ruger 10/22 or MP15-22 is what I'd want if I wanted a rifle in .22lr.

8. GTS197

GTS197
    Expand Collapse

Almost identical to the tear down of the MP5.

9. GTS197

GTS197
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't stand it any longer. Bought one and took it out for the first time yesterday.

[​IMG]

I worked on zeroing the open sights at 25 yds. The gun initially shot about 6" right and 8" high. I swapped the front sight post with the taller one and made several windage adjustments. I was finally able to get the windage corrected, but ultimately had to crank the diopter sight almost all the way down to get the POI close to the POA. I was able to get it set up with an acceptable zero at 25 yds, using a 6 o'clock hold. The orange target is 3" in diameter, using Fed Bulk.

[​IMG]

Switched over to AE 36gr. and was able to tighten it up a bit (albeit a little to the left)

[​IMG]

After the sight in, I started having a good time with it...rapid fire/steel plates.

[​IMG]

Sighting issues aside, I'm happy to report that I ran a total of 390 rds through the gun without a single malfunction (would have gone longer, but expended all the .22 I had with me). I'm pretty impressed with it and plan on adding a claw mount and a dot optic. The stock didn't present a huge issue for me, but like others, am considering a fixed stock for comfort.

10. 4TS&W

4TS&W
    Expand Collapse
    2A RKBA 4EVER

Can you SBR or suppress that? That would be pretty cool..

11. GTS197

GTS197
    Expand Collapse

I suppose you could. The barrel rides in a barrel sleeve and the faux supressor connects the threads at the muzzle. You'd have to machine the barrel, or just wait for a pistol type upper to be released (there are already rumors floating around about those coming out.)

12. simian5353

simian5353
    Expand Collapse

My H&K MP5SD has been spot on. I love the gun. I have put about 1500 rounds of varying ammo, even bulk Wally World stuff and have not had a hitch. Looks great, feel like quality and is fun as all get out.