close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High-Riding Appendix IWB Holster?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by dekova, Nov 23, 2011.

1. dekova

dekova

Sep 20, 2011
    Recently I've discovered that I prefer appendix carry over the standard 3-5 carry.

The holster I've got kinda works... it's comfortable and all but it causes the gun's grip to ride flush against the top of the belt. It's a problem quickly getting my fingers between the gun and belt and causes issues with achieving a firm/fast grip.

I'm looking for recommendations on an AIWB holster that rides a bit higher.
    The Ehud looks nice. Archangel looks nice but rides a bit lower?
    This one looks nice but I have no idea which holster it is.
    [​IMG]

Can someone name the holster in the picture?
    Are there other AIWB holsters I should be looking at?

2. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Maybe look into a Remora holster. They allow you to set the holster however you want and it does not move. http://www.remoraholsters.net/ Take a look at some youtube videos. tnoutdoors9 literally jumps up and down in it and it does not move.

3. sandworm40

sandworm40 Silver Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I have the Dale Fricke Archangel. It rides high enough to allow a full firing grip upon drawing and has adjustable weapon retention. In carrying a Glock 27 at this position, I've found that the Archangel's higher ride is slightly less concealable on me but allows the better grip and is quite secure with the dual belt loops. The Remora can be set lower to improve concealability but in doing so I lose the better grip and it relies on sufficient friction/tension to maintain the holster in position at all times. AIWB is not a carry position I use often, but when I do either of these holsters meets my needs.

4. huggytree

huggytree

Nov 9, 2011
    i just got a Galco King Tuk

check it out...it rides high

5. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    The Fricke Archangel and Comp Tac 2 o'clock both ride high enough to get a good grip.

6. It seems like Dale Fricke's rig is the go to for appendix these days.

7. bilkay

bilkay

Aug 30, 2011
    I think I'm going to give the Comtac Minotaur appendix carry holster a try. I have a MIC but I'm still on the fence about that one.

8. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    CCC Shaggy
    Cane&Derby Pardus
    Fricke Archangel

Just to name a few.

9. MLittle

MLittle

Jun 24, 2010
    Looks like you have a FIST holster on now..... I also carry aiwb and prefer the Dale Fricke Archangel. I like it so much, I have 4 of them for each of my carry pistols. I tried a Remora and I's just ok for me. I don't like the feel of it and much prefer the positive control of the two links over my belt that the Archangel has.

10. dwalker84

dwalker84

Jun 17, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I've tried using the MTAC for Appendix and while comfortable standing, there's just too much holster for that spot. Sitting for more than 10 minutes is just plain uncomfortable - Also I don't trust the clips on an MTAC at ALL especially after I almost lost my pistol on my motorcycle because the clips jiggled loose, the holster was held in my pants with the last 1.5 inches before I realized it. Note: I use a wilderness tactical belt - so it's not the belt.

I recently got an Arch Angel holster and it makes AIWB comfortable, secure, and conceals great - I feel it rides high as I've got plenty of space between my belt and the grip of the gun. Amazing for AIWB!

You can't go wrong with the Arch Angel - best holster I've ever had, period, and I've owned the vm2, mtac, RCS Phantom, other Kydex holster makers here on the board, etc - and nothing comes close. Get one and don't look back.
    View attachment 220673 View attachment 220671 View attachment 220672 View attachment 220674

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  11. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Remora works for me too.

12. alven

alven

Oct 18, 2010
    I carry a new design, Stealth Defense Strut Holster, cross draw, IWB that rides above the belt to provide great access and comfort.

13. dekova

dekova

Sep 20, 2011
    Those pictures are worth a thousand words. It looks like the Archangel gives plenty of space for quick aquisition of grip, thanks for taking the time to take the pics and post

14. dekova

dekova

Sep 20, 2011
    I just want to say I appreciate all the replies, now I've got more holsters to go check out.

Thanks guys!

15. dekova

dekova

Sep 20, 2011
    I've got the Remora. It's actually what prompted this thread.

I think it's a great holster, holds well, etc. But when I try to use it for appendix carry it sits too low for me to get a grip and draw reliably. If I inch it it up, it just doesn't feel secure. Maybe it's because I'm carrying a G26 and after inching it up, there's just not enough left inside the waistband for a good hold.

16. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a question for those of you who carry appendix. Isn't it uncomfortable? Especially when sitting down. I once tired to carry a Ruger LCP there and flat out couldn't do it. I know everyone has their own thing but I'm just wondering if it sitting down bothers you guys like it does me.

17. yesitsloaded

yesitsloaded

Jun 13, 2008
    North Cuba
    I've been carrying AIWB every day for 5-years now - I've tried just about every holster out there. Most mentioned here are good for AIWB, but the one thing I have learned is that the holster must be adjustable ... for ride-height and cant.

REASON: I bet you and I don't have the same body style and most likely we have different preferences when it comes to where the rig sits.

Two years ago I 'thought' I'd found my perfect AIWB: Raven Concealment Systems AIWB - but hard kydex 'in the crease' never sold me completely.

Then, I stumbled onto a long-running thread here on GT showcasing a holster maker with not 1 complaint in 150 purchases. He makes a rig similar to the Crossbreed, but costs only $50 and ships in 2-days. I called him and emailed him a template for my perfect AIWB. I know own 3 of his rigs for 6 of my carry guns and haven't needed to use any other holster for AIWB since.

Kurt is the holster maker and Shielded Holsters is the brand: http://shieldedholsters.com/

BTW: I am right handed and prefer to carry my G36/23/30/39 in the 11:30 position, in a semi-crossdraw (with the barrel going down the left side of the weapon I was born with) - the grip just disappears under a t-shirt going across the top of my belt buckle. Snubs and belly guns ride at around 1:00 or 2:00 depending on dress.

All in all, just my opinion - YMMV.

Best.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  18. dwalker84

dwalker84

Jun 17, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    At first yes, it's uncomfortable. I spend 2+ hours a day driving to work, and as an office manager I sit half the day at a desk. Sitting IS uncomfortable - but my body has gotten used to it - it rarely bothers me now. The benefits far outway the comfort level in my opinion. Dale Fricke's AA holster made appendix carry very comfortable actually. Try appendix carry in a raven concealment ... OUCH.

One thing that helps is when I know I will be sitting for a long period, I kind of hike up my pants/holster so it's higher on my waist, it prevents it from digging into my stomach or leg.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  19. High Noon

High Noon

Feb 29, 2008
    Florida
  20. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    An LCP was too uncomfortable... seriously?
    That should be the first clue that you're doing it wrong.
    I've carried a H&K P30 AIWB for 8 hour car trips with no problems, you should be able to carry a LCP in your underwear with no discomfort.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011