High end 1911's...

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by shooter1234, Jun 19, 2012.

1. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

:thumbsup: (sarcasm is duly noted.)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Believe it or not, we've made the same decision. I just drew the line a bit higher. If it was truly a cost or value issue, you could get a trunk full of Lorcin, Raven and Hi-Points for the price of your 3-4 Glocks, but you didn't. Why not? They shoot. You set the bar at a certain level of quality and so did I.

Are the shoes you are wearing the cheapest shoes you could find? Do you drive the cheapest car you could find?

.45 auto isn't for everyone. 1911's aren't for everyone, let alone semi and full custom 1911's. Clearly, you don't like to carry one. I don't have an issue carrying a full size... even in the summer, and I've never owned a vest. :cool:

I still have a G30, but carry the 1911 because I like it. I've shot them for 20+ years. Because I like it I shoot it a lot. Because I shoot it a lot, I'm fairly good with one. Hell, in the mountains I carry a single action revolver for the same reasons. For me, they just point naturally. I don't even use the sights inside 20 yards or so, just look over the top of the gun. Can't do that with my Glock.

To each his own.

3. AZL

AZL

The virtiole is strong in this thread.

I can see both sides of this issue as I have an admitted weakness for tricked-out 1911's and AR15's.

In many cases...I see the motivation being simple vanity. There is a pretty big pool if shooters out there who honestly think a $3500 1911 will make them a better shooter in place of training and practice. The "Tactical Teddy Wannabes" as I so (okay not-so) lovingly call them.

However...I own a few high-end 1911's and a really nice Browning Hi Power done by Ted Yost, when he was still "Yost-Bonitz". Why? I like them. After a couple of decades in LE making a decent living, I reached a point in my life where I was able to afford what I wanted. I enjoy shooting them. I appreciate the crisp trigger, and beautiful fitting done by a craftsman.

That being said...I CARRY a Glock 19 99.834756298475% of the time. Why? It has been absolutely flawless in function for over 20 years and 300K rounds. I have used it on duty, off duty, in IDPA and USPSA, and now I use it almost exclusively when teaching my defensive pistol classes. I trust it 100%. Other than the Model 66 Smith & Wesson .357 I also treasure...I don't trust ANY other handgun as much as I trust my Glock. It doesn't take Doctor Phil to figure out what I am going to trust my life to.

I am a firm believer that any quality make of defensive sidearm from Glock to Ruger will outshoot the shooter. I know very darned few shooters that can outshoot the capabilities of their pistol as it comes from the factory. YES...there will be exceptions...but I believe that to be the rule, rather than the exception.

A friend of mine...deputy...carries a Les Baer Monolith. he paid a LOT of money for that peice. He has a sharks skin holster and mag pouch combo for off duty carry. I tell you...it's slick as all get out. He can barely qualify with it. If the logic that some here have presented about accuracy, and wonderfulness is true...that pistol ALONE should make him the equal of Robbie Leatham or Doug Koenig.

But...really...it all boils down to buy what you want. Carry what you want. Shoot what you want. But don't be fooled into thinking an expensive gun is any MORE capable of defending you based upon price tag alone. Personally...if I were on a tighter budget...I'd buy a Glock, M&P, XD, or SR9....and spend a LOT of money on ammo, practice, and training.

4. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Amen. There is no substitute for quality in anything.

5. A man can spend his own money on what ever makes him happy. What business is it of yours ?

6. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Just get one of these:

[​IMG]

7. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

Sums it up right there
    I carried my Colt Mk IV ser 80 sts, that I had put close to a hundred hours polishing and modifying to my tastes, Then bought a Kimber CS II, and proceeded to make it even nicer than the Colt.
    Both carry nicely in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, and the 2 spare mags gave me 25 rounds of 230 gr HP, in a super accurate package.
    I now carry a G-17 in an MTac with a spare mag, which is lighter but a little bulkier.
    will soon switch to a Gen 4 G-21

8. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero
    CLM

attrapereves, I don't understand your statement: "grip safety is a negative for a defensive pistol." Would you kindly tell me what you mean? Thanks.

9. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Please, Glock doesn't need anymore problems with malfunctions! They just got that sorted out!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

:supergrin:

11. Sometimes you just want something exactly the way you want it even if it's not the most practical thing in the world.

I have a high-end custom 1911 that I love, but I don't use it, don't train with it, don't compete with it, don't even have any ammo for it. I gave it to my little cousin because he likes to shoot and carry it and I play with it a couple times a year.

Hell, I have custom made $450 work boots that aren't as comfortable or as practical as my off the shelf Justins, but they're just they way I want 'em and I like 'em.

Guys just spend money on stuff like that.

12. RE the guy who said there's no real difference between a Ferrari and a Buick: Yes, there is. Technology, build quality and performance. Same thing with a box stock Springfield or Colt versus a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer. Try it and you'll see why I'm talking about.

#52 porschedog, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  13. I was just on another thread about a guy who spent $20,000 for a pair of stereo speakers......

:rofl:

14. We all pick our price point. I won't ever again buy an off-the-rack 1911 like colt, SA, para or the lot because a large percentage of them are junk. If you get a good one, you get a good gun at a very good price. Get a dog and it spends all it's time being worked on.

I would spend the extra $ for an STI which is a semi custon and can be had for the $1400 range. You get a quantum leap improvement in quality for about $400 more, that's my best buy price point.

I don't know why people drop $4000 for a Wilson or whatever, it's what they want to buy and they are willing to pay it.

15. How did I miss this train wreck of a thread? :)

I carried a 4" Wilson 1911 today, I carry either that or a 5" Bear, 5"Wilson or 4 1/4" Brown daily. I have a 5" .38 Super Wilson on order now that I will carry. All well over $2000. Why do I carry them? Because I shoot 1911s better than anything else and these are trust your life 1911s so why would I not carry them? I have had a CCW since 1994 and have carried all kinds of guns, 1911 carry extremely well.

I am 5'10" and 190lbs. Carrying a freaking 35-40 oz 1911 is not hard, it is just over 2 lbs for God's sake, man up! :) Get a decent holster and belt and it is as easy as carrying anything thing else.

I think Clint Smith said it best " a gun should be comforting, not comfortable " I feel just as comfy as possible with a 1911 strapped to the side :)

#55 Ruggles, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  16. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Noles26

Noles26 Made in Texas

You have clearly NEVER owned a Ferrari. As someone in the automotive industry and who's wife CURRENTLY drives a new Buick Enclave, there is an ENORMOUS difference between the two vehicles. And the cost? Try $280,000 more, not $80,000.

Enjoy you're Hi Points, MGD and McDonalds

18. There is a company that makes $5,000-10,000 sex dolls, and the company does well.

People ought not fret about how people spend their money. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

19. I had a Colt Series 80 that I had throated. It would cycle empty brass casings. Love the 1911s. My current carry is a Glock 30. Good price, scary reliable. One of the most accurate pistols in Glock's stable. Does what I need a .45 ACP to do.

No I can't afford a high end 1911, but that 30 does everything....for less.

Gray_Rider

#59 Gray_Rider, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  20. RichardB

Silver Member

Everybody has a right to be screwy in their own way.

If you don't point your fingers and giggle at my 13 year old Saturn or my G36, I won't badmouth your $4000 1911. Unless your kids are naked and hungry.

It's your money, and what is luxury in one generation becomes the normal for the next. The new off the shelf 1911s of today are miles ahead in features compared to when i bought my first 1911 during the late 1960s.