Glock Talk banner

High End 1911 w/Rail?

12K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  GJ1981 
#1 ·
I know about the blasphemy of a 1911 with a rail... but I do see and like the option of having a light on a dedicated home defense pistol. Recommend or comment on some of the higher end 1911s available with a rail.

Springfield TRP
Ed Brown Special Forces
Double Star

Others...??

I could always use a Surefire MR07 slide stop mount adapter, but I think they're kind of ugly, and I'd worry about it wearing the finish on one of my current pistols.

Thanks!

#4 ·
If you already have a 1911 a Dawson rail would be a good option.

All the builders offer railed pistols, Wilson, NHC, etc, so it really comes down to preference.

I would suggest a SA Pro but good luck finding one.

A rail on 1911 has never bothered me, but mine aren't for show either.

#9 ·
I'd get the brown. In fact, after seeing a pic of a Kobra with a rail - I regret not buying that instead of the regular Special Forces I have. It looked sweet.

If you have the cash, get the brown.

I do have a full rail custom shop operator - but you are looking at $2600 just for the base, and a year wait unfortunately.

#17 · (Edited)
Anyone have experience with the Dawson rail?
I don't have one on any of my 1911's...yet, but I have shot a friends who had one added to his 1911 on several occasions.

The best thing is it's slim size, it doesn't add much bulk or weight. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it will fit in a standard holster, but it depends on the brand.

I know some people only attach it with the 3 screws where others go the extra mile and use silver solder, or ?, and permanently attach the rail.

The biggest downfall, if you want to call it one, is you can only use a Surefire light with a special adapter.

If I don't do another build soon I plan to add a rail to one of my 1911's, but I'm drooling over a Novak build right now so who knows.

#18 ·
Anyone have experience with the Dawson rail?
I do. I like the Dawson Rail in comparison to a regular railed 1911. Since I put it on I have sold all the regular rail guns I have. It is superior as you can not tell the weight difference compared to a non-railed model. With the Dawson you can fit the gun in 80% of the leather holsters made for non-railed models, but the best holster companies make one just for a Dawson railed gun whether it be leather or Kydex.

If you have a good smith drill and tap plus weld it on...it ain't going anywhere.

The downside is you can only use the Surefire X200 and X300 series of lights with a adapter, which should not be a bad thing since they are the best lights made.

#22 ·
The Dawson rail is high quality kit, but I'd still recommend the railed Ed Brown Special Forces. I handled and shot two of them, and was impressed enough that I ordered a non-railed version a few weeks ago. It's far superior to the other two you mentioned.

#23 ·
Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm considering an EB Special Forces, a Nighthawk GRP Recon, or perhaps a Baer, but I'm leaning towards the Brown or Nighthawk. Probably the Brown. The less slide billboard work really appeals to me of all things. I could mount a Dawson rail on an existing pistol, but I'm afraid of bastardizing a gun that's perfectly fine as it is and adversely affecting any future potential value of it. Plus I think I'd just rather cry than drill and bolt a rail in my Dan Wesson Valor.

So, if I do decide I really really need a flagship railed 1911 as my dedicated house pistol, between these what would you choose, and why:

- Ed Brown Special Forces
- Nighthawk GRP Recon
- Les Baer TRS
- Springfield Professional

Any advice is welcome. I am playing in a box here that I've no experience with these kind of pistols. If Dan Wesson made a railed 1911 I'd just buy it, but they don't, so I'll spend more $ (maybe if I decide to) and get something really nice.

#24 ·
Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm considering an EB Special Forces, a Nighthawk GRP Recon, or perhaps a Baer, but I'm leaning towards the Brown or Nighthawk. Probably the Brown. The less slide billboard work really appeals to me of all things. I could mount a Dawson rail on an existing pistol, but I'm afraid of bastardizing a gun that's perfectly fine as it is and adversely affecting any future potential value of it. Plus I think I'd just rather cry than drill and bolt a rail in my Dan Wesson Valor.

So, if I do decide I really really need a flagship railed 1911 as my dedicated house pistol, between these what would you choose, and why:

- Ed Brown Special Forces
- Nighthawk GRP Recon
- Les Baer TRS
- Springfield Professional

Any advice is welcome. I am playing in a box here that I've no experience with these kind of pistols. If Dan Wesson made a railed 1911 I'd just buy it, but they don't, so I'll spend more $ (maybe if I decide to) and get something really nice.
Personally, I'd order what I wanted from Wilson and be done with it OR pick up a Les Baer HD model. The goofy scalloping on the EB is a deal breaker for me as is the lack of undercut on the Professional. If someone would 25LPI and fit an Ed Brown like a Professional they'd have something going.

#25 ·
Others may disagree, but I didn't think my Wilson was worth the price. Fit and finish were just not that good.

Nighthawk makes an excellent semi-custom. Their prices are high, but so is the quality. I have not ordered one of their 1911's though, because they don't offer a few key features I like. That's just personal taste though, and not a complaint against their quality.

Les Baer is probably the best deal for the money, and may be the most accurate. My 1.5" Premier II is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. The overall level of finish is not the equal of a Nighthawk or Brown though. Some people would be turned off by the mediocre finish, but others like me would be happy to get that level of reliability and accuracy for a very reasonable price.

Ed Brown makes a 1911 that can make just about anybody happy. Their fit and finish is very good. Reliability and accuracy are too. They may not be the absolute best at any one thing, but they are one of the best at everything. They offer some nice "packages", but also have a build sheet on their website so you can piece together the exact 1911 you want. That's the route I went with on my most recent 1911. If you want a railed Special Forces, but don't want writing on the slide and would rather have checkering than their Chainlink texturing, you can order it that way at no extra cost. They will even put 10-8 sights and VZ grips on their guns by request, both of which I like a lot.

#26 · (Edited)
Something to consider other than cliche broad terms like "fit and finish wasn't good." In terms of TRUE fitting it would be nuts to discount Baer and the SA Pro. Dave Severns lays out some nit picking details here....

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255555

Going by this detailed comparison, anyone that says a Les Baer isn't as well fit as an Ed Brown is smoking crack. :supergrin: <---- (Just for FAAWrench)

The Ed Brown didn't place that well in accuracy relative to others. Not knocking EB they are cosmetically one of the best, just putting things in perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.